Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Working Fine- Moving to new home

rsm2000e
Aspirant

Orbi Working Fine- Moving to new home

Old Home:  Arris Surfboard Cable Modem (wi-fi turned off), with DHCP active.  Configured Orbi using mobile app, system operates fine, good throughput speeds (identical to hard-wired speed).

New Home:  ISP provided cable modem going into Netgear Nighthawk Router with Wi-Fi turned off (button on top of router does this)

My question:  If I remove the Nighthawk from the new home location, will my existing setup still work or should I rerun the mobile phone Orbi Setup App?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
rsm2000e
Aspirant

Re: Orbi Working Fine- Moving to new home Bought "Super Orbi" (RBK53)

Happy Land for Happy Campers!

1.  Costco took $100 off the $399 list price "on ad" - bought SuperOrbi (RBK53 w/ 2 satellites to replace my prior "Happy Meal Orbi" (RBK20 with 1 satellite).  There IS a difference!  The 50-series has 6 antennas which are taller than the 4 in the 20-series.  Works GREAT and covers the 50 to 75 feet between buildings NO SWEAT.  Also the 50's have 4 ethernet ports on the satellites, ideal for those hard-wired connections.  I'm getting 253 mps system-wide, and Bob's my close personal relative.

2.  Word to the wise about ALEXA ECHO and ORBI- you need to shut off "DAISY CHAINING" or you will experience dropped connections aplenty whilst trying to stream music on your Amazon Echo.  Once I disabled daisy chaining on the backhaul, NO MORE MUSIC DROPOUTS on the Echo!  Yay!

3.  Connecting to your Amazon Echo - try manually entering your Orbi settings if the 'automatic' method on the Alexa app keeps failing.  UNTICK the box that says "Have Amazon save my passwords!"  Very important.  The Orbi router address should be 192.168.1.1  and your Alexa will have an address like 192.168.1.xxx.  Your subnet is 255.255.255.0, and I plugged in the Google DNS servers  8.8.8.8 (DNS1) and 8.8.4.4 (DNS2) and BINGO.  This only blew about 7 hours of my day, plus a half bottle of Ibuprofen, and a very annoying tech-support call to Amazon, who tried but basically had no clue about the Orbi.  Amazon tech wanted to open a BUNCH of ports that were already open- no joy there.  BIG FAN of "Super Orbi" (RBK53).  It's KingKong of Wi-Fi!  But don't forget to axe the daisy chain!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Working Fine- Moving to new home

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Built in router here by chance? This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

The Orbi can be directly connected to the ISP modem with out the NH router in the mix. 

Or you can use the Orbi in AP mode and keep the NH router in the mix. 

@rsm2000e wrote:

Old Home:  Arris Surfboard Cable Modem (wi-fi turned off), with DHCP active.  Configured Orbi using mobile app, system operates fine, good throughput speeds (identical to hard-wired speed).

New Home:  ISP provided cable modem going into Netgear Nighthawk Router with Wi-Fi turned off (button on top of router does this)

My question:  If I remove the Nighthawk from the new home location, will my existing setup still work or should I rerun the mobile phone Orbi Setup App?

Message 2 of 4

Re: Orbi Working Fine- Moving to new home

@rsm2000e wrote:

Not sure that I follow. If you are moving the Nighthawk router from one location to another, it is probably going to connect to a different modem and/or different Internet service.

In that case, it is better to reset the router and set up from scratch. In that way it will forget any settings picked up on its old network. You don't want it trying to connect with old usernames and passwords.

Message 3 of 4
rsm2000e
Aspirant

Re: Orbi Working Fine- Moving to new home Bought "Super Orbi" (RBK53)

Happy Land for Happy Campers!

1.  Costco took $100 off the $399 list price "on ad" - bought SuperOrbi (RBK53 w/ 2 satellites to replace my prior "Happy Meal Orbi" (RBK20 with 1 satellite).  There IS a difference!  The 50-series has 6 antennas which are taller than the 4 in the 20-series.  Works GREAT and covers the 50 to 75 feet between buildings NO SWEAT.  Also the 50's have 4 ethernet ports on the satellites, ideal for those hard-wired connections.  I'm getting 253 mps system-wide, and Bob's my close personal relative.

2.  Word to the wise about ALEXA ECHO and ORBI- you need to shut off "DAISY CHAINING" or you will experience dropped connections aplenty whilst trying to stream music on your Amazon Echo.  Once I disabled daisy chaining on the backhaul, NO MORE MUSIC DROPOUTS on the Echo!  Yay!

3.  Connecting to your Amazon Echo - try manually entering your Orbi settings if the 'automatic' method on the Alexa app keeps failing.  UNTICK the box that says "Have Amazon save my passwords!"  Very important.  The Orbi router address should be 192.168.1.1  and your Alexa will have an address like 192.168.1.xxx.  Your subnet is 255.255.255.0, and I plugged in the Google DNS servers  8.8.8.8 (DNS1) and 8.8.4.4 (DNS2) and BINGO.  This only blew about 7 hours of my day, plus a half bottle of Ibuprofen, and a very annoying tech-support call to Amazon, who tried but basically had no clue about the Orbi.  Amazon tech wanted to open a BUNCH of ports that were already open- no joy there.  BIG FAN of "Super Orbi" (RBK53).  It's KingKong of Wi-Fi!  But don't forget to axe the daisy chain!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7