Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi ac3000 rbk50 won’t connect to internet. Brand new. First setup.

Dtomaso1
Follower

Orbi ac3000 rbk50 won’t connect to internet. Brand new. First setup.

Hello, wifi working. Connected Devices listed on orbi app. Can check internet speed on orbi app. But no internet connection. Have rebooted, tried new cables. Tried old router. Works fine. Frustrated. Please assist. Thx

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
antscilla
Aspirant

I kept getting the message saying not connected to Internet while setting up the Orbi RBK50 on my phone. The problem was that I had private DNS mode setup on my phone. Once I disabled this, everything worked fine.

View solution in original post

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Did you power OFF the modem and back ON before starting the Orbi router? 

For modems with built in routers:

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@Dtomaso1 wrote:

Hello, wifi working. Connected Devices listed on orbi app. Can check internet speed on orbi app. But no internet connection. Have rebooted, tried new cables. Tried old router. Works fine. Frustrated. Please assist. Thx

Message 2 of 10
raven_au
Virtuoso

Clearly the new wireless will be different.

But the AX chipset should be able to provide AC support as well.

So the question becomes can AC based Oribi devices be used with the new AX based Orbi devices.

For example, if one gets a Router plus Satelite AX based pack can AC based satelites that customers already have be used with the new AX based Orbi router?

Oh wait, I seem to have posted in the wrong thread ... sorry.

Message 3 of 10
tiztrain
Aspirant

All my devices connected fine to the router but my partners surface pro and google pixel could connect to Wi-Fi but would have not internet or drastically slow internet.
After tons of research, figured out that setting up the DNS in the adapter settings fixed the issue. 

Step 2 in the following website:

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-dns-probe-finished-bad-config-error/ 

A question to support. Why do I have to do this for some devices? Surely this is a bug?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Could be a number of reasons. I would start with ISP services and device first. Modem router combos can cause problems. 

You can configure DNS on the Orbi router to use other DNS services besides ISP DNS. I use 1.1.1.1, 4.2.2.4 and Quad 9.

@tiztrain wrote:

All my devices connected fine to the router but my partners surface pro and google pixel could connect to Wi-Fi but would have not internet or drastically slow internet.
After tons of research, figured out that setting up the DNS in the adapter settings fixed the issue. 

Step 2 in the following website:

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-dns-probe-finished-bad-config-error/ 

A question to support. Why do I have to do this for some devices? Surely this is a bug?

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Any update on this? 

@Dtomaso1 wrote:

Message 6 of 10
Chuck_M
Mentor

He had conflicting or competing DNS entries in some network adapter properties:  Two threads above he said:

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

That as well. 

Message 8 of 10
antscilla
Aspirant

I kept getting the message saying not connected to Internet while setting up the Orbi RBK50 on my phone. The problem was that I had private DNS mode setup on my phone. Once I disabled this, everything worked fine.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7