Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi & Philips Hue problems?

LeBullet
Apprentice

Orbi & Philips Hue problems?

Hi Guys,

So I've had my Orbi system about 4-6 weeks now, and I've had many of the well documented problems.  It seems a lot better on latest firmware, but have had a few little issues with my philips Hue system.

we have both Philips Hue, and Logitech Pops (for swtiches), and Amazon Echo, as well a combination of Philips sensors too.  the systems been in and running fine for about 4 months now, then I'm not sure whether we have a conicidence, or an issue with Orbi or Hue bridge all on it's own.

The system this last week (which consists of 28 ligths/bulbs/strips), just started to come on weirdly.  Firstly the IFFTT automation setup we'd created, only turned on our lights on minimum light setting.  Then, as the week went on, we started to get random, lights on maximum setting mode.  It might be 4am, it might be 5pm, just entirely random.  After some digging it suggested that perhaps it might be a DHCP related issue, so I put in a reserved IP address for the Hue bridge and configured the settings in Hue.

The lights still functioned as expected, but the randomness continues.

I rang Philips Hue, they suggested that my IFFTT programming was causing the problems, so made me delete them all, but of course, it made no difference.  They're now agreed to send me a new bridge, which would seem most likely candidate, but wondered whether anyone else (as you guys and gals must have Hue as well), have had any issues with Orbi on V1.8.0.6 Firmware, or whatever it is as of March 2017).

Thoughts and comments welcomed,

AG

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
LeBullet
Apprentice

So, final update everyone. Seems the issue was related to the Philips Hue software. After the last update, which part fixed the issue, we still continued to get almost daily all lights at 6pm, Hue have made 2 further software updates which has returned the system back to its normal operating status.

This issue is now fixed with zero issues relating to Orbi.

Thanks guys.

AG

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
Hydro130
Luminary

I have my Hue bridge connected to my Orbi satellite (Hue and Orbi all running latest firmware), and I haven't been having any issues.  

I use a combination of automated schedules (via SmartThings and iConnectHue), IFFTT, Hue-branded motion sensors, Taps & Dimmers, and Google Home commands to control my various Hue lights - all of it has been working fine overall.  I have 40+ Hue-related things on my Hue bridge itself.

These days, I do have a reserved IP address in my Orbi setup for my Hue bridge (along with a good chunk of my other connected "stuff"), but I didn't have any connection problems prior to setting that up either.  

But I also haven't been experiencing any of the other Orbi disconnection issues that get posted about here in this forum, so perhaps I'm just lucky...

I hope the new bridge fixes it for you - those sort of issues are understandably maddening!

Cheers, Chris

Message 2 of 11
dawiz22
Star

There seems to have been a general issue with Philips Hue lately. We don't use Orbi, but our Hue lights have been going bonkers as well. Randomly, one or more of them stopped working through our SmartThings hub at various times, sometimes they were on during the day etc.
Message 3 of 11
LeBullet
Apprentice

Hue have agreed to send a new bridge, which should be here in the next few days.

we noted last night however, that there was a new bridge patch OS update, so we applied that, so it might be it's now bug fixed I guess, it definitely feels like that.

I'll keep you all posted on what happens.

AG

Message 4 of 11
LeBullet
Apprentice

So, update, the patch made no difference, still random lights launch 1-2 times a day., Philips have now replaced the bridge, and it appears better, but still having some random, all lights on scenarios.

i've made the new Hue bridge a static IP reseveration, but wondering whether there's some slightly odd, IP reservation exchange that happens which sends it into a frenzy?

ill keep you all posted as this progresses, but it's an odd one for sure.

AG

Message 5 of 11
dawiz22
Star

Since yesterday's update, the hub has been stable for me

Message 6 of 11
LeBullet
Apprentice

Happened again this morning.  06:35, bang, every Hue light in the house on.  All 28 of them...  

this is getting very, very tedious

AG

Message 7 of 11
dawiz22
Star

Do you have any other home automation systems set up? (Logitech Harmony, Google Home, Amazon Echo, Smartthings, Wink Hub, any alarm system that works with Hue, IFTTT etc.)? Another thing you could look at is previously associated mobile devices and Hue routines etc - those can be removed on meethue.com

I can guarantee you 100% that this has nothing to do with the Orbi. WiFi issues can not trigger Hue functions. They can knock your bridge offline, but that's about it. 

Message 8 of 11
LeBullet
Apprentice

Hi mate,

yeah, got Amazon Alexa, and Logitech Pop light switch or two and some IFTTT routines too.

the Amazon Alexa are removed at the moment, so can't be that now, Philips Support did that as step 1, so they e been out all week, no difference.  The Logitech Pop only controls 3 of the lights, could that trigger all the lights?  I guess that's worth a disconnect perhaps, see if it's that I guess.

the IFTTT routines just turn on a small subset of the lights at sunset, and turns off all the house11:30@night.  I have restored them back in, but I don't think it's that, no other home automation is connected.

im definitely inclined to agree with you it's not Orbi, I've checked the logs, and whilst my Ipads are DHCP requesting lease updates every 7 mins still, the Hue is on static reservation and isn't refreshing or doing much.

the only other thing that's got me debating, is whether it's the power supply for the Hue bridge, as they only replaced the Bridge itself. Could it be a fluctuating power supply perhaps?

trchnology, its great sometimes isn't it...  🙂

thanks for your input input and assistance, I appreciate it

AG

Message 9 of 11
LeBullet
Apprentice

So, quick update

the Hue have been randomly coming again, at will, though oddly around 6-7am and again around 6pm everyday.  The AM wasn't always guaranteed, but PM like clockwork.

yesterday, Philips updated all the Hue apps, (Android and IOS), and today, we've had nothing.

so, let's see, is it the App, or some other random trigger?  I'll keep you posted.

AG

Message 10 of 11
LeBullet
Apprentice

So, final update everyone. Seems the issue was related to the Philips Hue software. After the last update, which part fixed the issue, we still continued to get almost daily all lights at 6pm, Hue have made 2 further software updates which has returned the system back to its normal operating status.

This issue is now fixed with zero issues relating to Orbi.

Thanks guys.

AG
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7