Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi & VM ISP - Live streaming lags!

Orbi & VM ISP - Live streaming lags!

I have 1 * RBR50 and 2 * RBS50.

The setup is that my VM modem is setup in modem only mode and the RBR50 in modem mode.

I have no problems with downloads, netflix, BBC iplayer, Youtube etc however when I try streaming live sports, especially footvall, there are massive lags.

If I try the same streams on my phone using data connection, it is absolutely fine.

What could be wrong with my setup to cause these lags?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi & VM ISP - Live streaming lags!

What Firmware is currently loaded?

What ISP Speeds do you pay for UP and DOWN?

Are you wired or wireless connected to the Orbi when streaming? 

Connected to the RBR or RBS when streaming? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 2 of 5

Thanks for the response -

What Firmware is currently loaded? V2.5.0.38

What ISP Speeds do you pay for UP and DOWN? 220mb Down, 20MB UP

Are you wired or wireless connected to the Orbi when streaming? Wireless (However all my other streams such as netflix are absolutley fine)

Connected to the RBR or RBS when streaming? tried both

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? not sure but do not think its relevant as I have other services that stream fine including from my NAS in HD format.
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. - 5 feet

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? Auto however its not a connection/latency issue, its specific to streaming with t

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

All done

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? yes

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

5 feet is too close between the RBR and RBS. You need to set the RBS out at 30 feet or more. 

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@Orbi1Kenobi77 wrote:

The setup is that my VM modem is setup in modem only mode and the RBR50 in modem mode.

This is probably a typo.  Orbi has no "modem mode."  The only way this will function is if the RBR50 is in router mode.

@FURRYe38is correct that 5ft. between router and satellite is "too near".  (Perhaps another typo?)  There are two satellites.  Please describe the physical layout of the router and satellites.

The live sports streams that are having problems are on the same phone, or on a different device?

Is there a laptop that can be used to stream the live sports when ethernet connected to the Orbi router?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7