Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi & Verizon Fios Internet Only

LEWB71
Aspirant

Orbi & Verizon Fios Internet Only

I have Verizon Fios Internet, cable & phone. I want to drop cable TV and phone. I have the fiber optic cable coming into the Verizon box outside and it changes over to coax that comes to the Fios Quantum router. Currently, ORBI is operating in AP mode. I want to get rid of the TV, phone and the Verizon Quantum router. I want to use only the ORBI RBR 50 and satellite router. I know ORBI does not contain a MOCA adapter inside. However, since the signal is coming in as a “internet” signal, do I need to attach a MOCA adapter to the ORBI and satellite?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
Mstrbig
Master

@LEWB71 wrote:
I have Verizon Fios Internet, cable & phone. I want to drop cable TV and phone. I have the fiber optic cable coming into the Verizon box outside and it changes over to coax that comes to the Fios Quantum router. Currently, ORBI is operating in AP mode. I want to get rid of the TV, phone and the Verizon Quantum router. I want to use only the ORBI RBR 50 and satellite router. I know ORBI does not contain a MOCA adapter inside. However, since the signal is coming in as a “internet” signal, do I need to attach a MOCA adapter to the ORBI and satellite?

Would it be possible to take a pic of where your fiber is coming in? Usually Verizon FIOS uses an ONT which supports COAX and Network cable. If it supports network cable, you can connect a network cable from the ONT to the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 9
LEWB71
Aspirant

We’ll have to defer to next week. I’m out of town right now and won’t be able to send a picture until mid next week.
Message 3 of 9
LEWB71
Aspirant

Ok. I made it back. I think I figured it out. The fiber optic cable comes out of the ground and goes into the Verizon box mounted on the house. What comes out of there is coax only. So there is something in the Verizon box that converts the fiber optic signal into a coax one. This goes to the Verizon Quantum modem/router via coax cable to which I have the Orbi bridged in AP mode. Therefore, I believe I need two MOCA adapters; one for the main Orbi router and one for the satellite.
Message 4 of 9
Mstrbig
Master

I would call Verizon and tell them you want to cancel TV and phone, and you have your own router. Inside the box is an ONT that should have multiple connections on it, one being RJ45. Tell them, if not alread there or easy to install, you want a network cable run from the ONT to your Orbi router. Then you can run the Orbi in router mode.

Message 5 of 9
LEWB71
Aspirant

I can't fish an internet cable from the ONT to the router without tearing the house apart. I want to do away with the Verizon Quantum modem/router and use my own. I have a Arris SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit Cable Modem. Can I attach the SB8200 directly to the ORBI RBR50 via coax and then attach the MOCA adapter to the ORBI output? Or, would I have to put the MOCA between the SB8200 and the ORBI?

Message 6 of 9
Mstrbig
Master

@LEWB71 wrote:

I can't fish an internet cable from the ONT to the router without tearing the house apart. I want to do away with the Verizon Quantum modem/router and use my own. I have a Arris SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit Cable Modem. Can I attach the SB8200 directly to the ORBI RBR50 via coax and then attach the MOCA adapter to the ORBI output? Or, would I have to put the MOCA between the SB8200 and the ORBI?

No it is a DOCSIS modem. I gave you the 2 possibilites that will work on your system. They can be purchased at a reasonable price used, or you can get Verizon to provide one, for either free or for a posible monthly fee.

Message 7 of 9
LEWB71
Aspirant

Ok. Thanks for the clarification.

Message 8 of 9
LEWB71
Aspirant

I discovered a path to run an internet cable to my RBR50 ORBI router. I’ve canceled my landline phone and FIOS cable. I’m going to call Verizon and upgrade to the 200 mbps service. This upgrade requires an internet cable run from the ONT to the router like you said. I’ll post the results when this is completed.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7