Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and ATT Uverse IPTV

gr8sho
Virtuoso

Orbi and ATT Uverse IPTV

Today I reconfigured my network to move all remaining traffic onto the Orbi, including IPTV.  For those outside the US, one of the vendors that sells IPTV service is ATT and their product is called Uverse.  To allow IPTV data stream to be properly handled by the Orbi, be sure to uncheck Disable IGMP Proxy.  My equipment consists of a Cisco DVR and one Cisco settop box.  The DVR is connected to the router and the STB is Ethernet connected a LAN port on the RBS50 with in turn uses wireless backhaul. 

The main motivation for doing this was to allow my smartphones and tablets capable of running the Uverse app to be able to control the STBs using the built-in remote function.  This works much more reliably than having to worry about pointing the IR remote control which frankly is a PITA to use most of the time.

Message 1 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume you meant IGMP Proxy? 

Message 2 of 52
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Bad eyes. Thanks! Fixed now.
Message 3 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

I hear ya. Hate getting old. Smiley Very Happy

I do wonder if this setting would help with Orbi and working with managed switches. There settings seem to have IGMP protocols enabled which don't work well with Orbi. If the protocol is disable on the switch, then Orbi works well. Possible this feature maybe the cause for managed swtiches and ethernet backhaul configurations. Smiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 52
gr8sho
Virtuoso

You are likely right on that.  Something about IGMP snooping support comes to mind.  Back when I first got Uverse service, I learned the hard way not to commingle computer and IPTV traffic, so the solution was to put them on separate independent switches, which I still have setup.  However I think the Netgear ProSafe switch I have installed may be capable of handling IGMP traffic, and I may test that out later.  If it worked, would be another simplification on the physical wiring side.  If I knew there was a measurable performance impact, I'd still leaving IPTV on a separate physical LAN port, but from what I see now, the non DVR settop box is working flawlessly and no issues reported.

Message 5 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Well would certainly like to know. IGMP has been problematic with Orbi since users first mentioned this about a year or two ago that he stumbled upon the setting in his managed switch and after disabling it, Orbi and his system started working well. So I've brought this up when users mention manages switchs or asking about ethernet backhaul with any kind of switch thus I recommend non managed for the most part. 

Message 6 of 52
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Alright, I'll do the test when I can but also have to get into attic to confirm the model number of the switch.  It was given to me by ATT in one of the service calls as I had tremendous teething problems with the service early on.

I also remember and posted in the thread I think you're referring to about the user that was first trying this out.  Perhaps the earlier version of Orbi firmware didn't have proper support for IGMPv3 but it's clearly shown in the management console now.

If I could actually convert my family to using the Uverse app, I could hide the settop from plain sight!  A nice aspect of other streaming boxes like AFTV and AppleTV.

Message 7 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I remember something about the attic. Well, when you have time. No rush. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 52
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ya I remember something about the attic. Well, when you have time. No rush. Smiley Wink

Hello.  I moved the connection for the Cisco ISB7500 DVR off to a Netgear ProSAFE GS108v4 unmanaged 8-port gigabit switch.  I probably should have done this move years ago as I doubt att would have given me a switch that didn't support U-verse TV. 

As an aside, one of the technical points I saw was support for jumbo frames which I've seen mentioned a few times in the forum.

To summarize, I have two main groupings of devices connected to the Orbi, a batch on the RBR50 and another batch on the RBS50.  For IPTV, the DVR is on the former and the settop box is on the latter.  All functions work inclusive of the Uverse app and ability to control both devices over wifi. 

At this point my only (petty) complaint is I wish the RBS50 had 4 more Ethernet ports on it!

Message 9 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

That should be good switch to use. 

You could and a 5 port non managed switch to the back end of the RBS. I would be careful of any bandwidth issues or adding too many devices to the back end of the RBS. Adding a switch and a few more devices shouldn't be a problem though. 

Message 10 of 52
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Yes of course, my comment was a bit facetious and tongue -in-cheek.

I'll probably move a few things around to remove the constraint. The main reason for the comment was that I endeavor to wire connect as many streaming devices as I can.

As for the concern about too many devices on the satellite, is there some hardware or other technical reason I'm unaware of?
Message 11 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Bandwidth on certain devices can be taxing and some router just have a limitation on how much bandwidth they can process all at once. Each device connected to a router has the main connection, however apps and such on each device can open many connections which adds up. 

Message 12 of 52
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Dandwidth on certain devices can be taxing and some router just have a limiation on how much bandwidth they can process all at once. Each device connected to a router has the main connection, however apps and such on each device can open many connections which adds up. 

If the point was about the RBK50 in general, I'm good.  But as far as the RBS50 is concerned, that monster wireless backhaul is for all intents and purposes transparent and should make all the connected clients stand on equal footing. 

Message 13 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, it should be good. So adding a switch behind the RBS should work as well. 

Message 14 of 52
gr8sho
Virtuoso

The following is a bug report. Firmware level tested was v60. 

The timeshift commands to the ISB7005 set-top box do not work when the receiver is Ethernet connected to the RBS50.  I moved the receiver back onto the VAP2500 WAP connected to the RBR50 and the timeshift controls work properly. It appears the RBS50 may not fully support IGMPv3 protocols or some defect exists. 

Message 15 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you disable IGMP proxy on the RBR? Someone reported that disabling this on the RBR helped with the TV service get thru to the set top boxes over Orbi. 

Message 16 of 52
gr8sho
Virtuoso

That’s table stakes for IPTV to work at all.
So yes, that’s already unchecked.
Message 17 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible that the IPTV just may not work at all thru Orbi. Or needs to be all connected with there required HW. I know that DISH wireless Joeys have to be connected to there own wireless AP and not external wifi such as Orbi. 

Message 18 of 52
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Anything is possible I suppose.  But it was working.  In fact it could be the upstream servers themselves as I've seen one other report like mine from a veteran user.

I did a full reboot last night and the only thing I stopped short of was factory reset of the gateway and the RBR50.  I do think v60 has issues though.

And as for why I'm not using the native hardware support, it's because without running everything off the same network, I cannot use the remote control function over wifi built into the Uverse app.  This has become more important to me to use over the standard IR remote.  I'm at a point now I wish TVs and settop boxes would do away completely with IR and use either wifi of bluetooth to perform the remote command functions.

Message 19 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Well something to try as last resort with a reset. 

IR has it's place in some areas. I know for DISH they dual band remotes so IR and UHF. I use IR repeaters were needed for my use. 

The Uverse app thing, that would be there area of development and would check on its requirements for use with 3rd party wifi outside of there required HW. 

If it has been working up to v60 then possible something on there side recently broke. Wouldn't be always something with Orbi. Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 52
gr8sho
Virtuoso

I'd still like to either be able to report a bug for Orbi or at least get confirmation from Netgear that the RBS50 provides full support for IGMPv3. 

As for Uverse itself, I don't need help with it from this community.  I'm not sure how my messages are being misinterpreted but I'll try to do better to clarify my posts. 

To the extend standards and specifications are beng implemented in the product, I do expect them to work no matter how obscure the usecase may be.

Cheers

Message 21 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be best place to let NG know:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

Might ask a forum moderator about IGMPv3. I presume it doesn't. And may not until Orbi AX arrives. Who knows. 

Good Luck. 

Message 22 of 52
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Is a thread like this okay and perhaps explicity tagging one of the moderators to respond?  I'm not well versed on how to engage moderators here.

Message 23 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

typing @ will bring up a user list, Keep typing after the @And can type in blancaO or Chistian_r or Ernest. BlancaO seems to respond more often. Or send them a PM. 

Message 24 of 52
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@Blanca_O 

Hello Blanca.  Can you have a look at this thread please and in particular the question about requesting confirmation for support of IGMPv3 being extended to the RBS50 and it's attached clients.

Thank you!

Message 25 of 52
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 51 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7