Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and ATT Uverse IPTV

FURRYe38
Guru

Did you ever get any information on this? 

I see IGMPv3 in the UI of the RBR.

@gr8sho wrote:

@Blanca_O 

Hello Blanca.  Can you have a look at this thread please and in particular the question about requesting confirmation for support of IGMPv3 being extended to the RBS50 and it's attached clients.

Thank you!

Message 26 of 52
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Hello. Haven't seen a reply.

Yes, for the RBR50, but the RBS50 I'm uncertain about. In other words, does IGMPv3 support carry across wireless backhaul to its wired clients.
Message 27 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

I would presume yes, however with Orbi, could be anything. Smiley Frustrated

Have you tried wired backhaul with the RBS? 

@Blanca_O 

@Christian_R 

@gr8sho wrote:
Hello. Haven't seen a reply.

Yes, for the RBR50, but the RBS50 I'm uncertain about. In other words, does IGMPv3 support carry across wireless backhaul to its wired clients.

Message 28 of 52
gr8sho
Virtuoso

That’s not practical unfortunately.
If Netgear provides an official response and also needs or wants to do a deeper dive into the configuration, I’m willing to help where I can. I do in fact have interest in having a wired IPTV settop client connected to a satellite to simplify the overall network topology.
Message 29 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to open a support ticket and see if you can send them the debug logs...

@gr8sho wrote:
That’s not practical unfortunately.
If Netgear provides an official response and also needs or wants to do a deeper dive into the configuration, I’m willing to help where I can. I do in fact have interest in having a wired IPTV settop client connected to a satellite to simplify the overall network topology.

Message 30 of 52
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @gr8sho and @FURRYe38

Product specifications state that IGMPv1, v2 and v3 must be supported. We already brought this up to engineers. We will provide update once we have more information from them. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 31 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank you. 

@Blanca_O wrote:

Hi @gr8sho and @FURRYe38

Product specifications state that IGMPv1, v2 and v3 must be supported. We already brought this up to engineers. We will provide update once we have more information from them. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 32 of 52
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Right, and again, focus on the satellite, as the base works fine.
If talking to engineering, confirming support and validation testing is good enough.
Thanks so much for taking interest.
Message 33 of 52
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Hello,  While I haven't heard back on this topic, nor have I seen mention of it in the patch notes, I decided to reconnect my ISB7005 back to the RBS50.  So far it seems to be holding up well.  I would of course feel better knowing something was done to improve this area of IGMP support in the satellite.

Message 34 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

What was the version of FW prior to what you have loaded now? 

Nothing in the release notes? 

Message 35 of 52
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I've stepped through most of them, but the better question is what was the last version I tested this on, and I'm thinking .44, but not 100% sure.  
As to the release notes question, I hadn't spotted anything that seemed connected to the reported issue. 

Message 36 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Might ask @Blanca_O to see if she can pull some infomation. I guess if v30 is working when it didn't work before. Anything could have snuck in. 

@gr8sho wrote:
@FURRYe38 wrote:

I've stepped through most of them, but the better question is what was the last version I tested this on, and I'm thinking .44, but not 100% sure.  
As to the release notes question, I hadn't spotted anything that seemed connected to the reported issue. 

Message 37 of 52
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Maybe it was just coincidence.  Problems still seem to surface when power ins interrupted.  I have to fiddle withi rebooting the settop box and hope that all functions are restored.  The ones that are most problematic relate to being able to pause and rewind a live stream.  Given that Uverse TV is going the way of the dodo bird, it's probably not worth fussing over any longer.

Message 38 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Its possible. Have you looked into getting a different modem with your ISP? Maybe a different ISP service? 

Message 39 of 52
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Its possible. Have you looked into getting a different modem with your ISP? Maybe a different ISP service? 

Made me laugh.  Sure, I'll switch service to make my Orbi work better.  And while I'm at it  I'll drop 800 bucks on a new Orbi.   🤨

In all seriousness, it's more likely this setup will fade into past tense as U-verse TV , IPTV, is slowly fading into non-existence.  

Message 40 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Overall just seems to be a bad problem between the ISP service and Orbi. Espeically with there Modem HW. 

Wouldn't need to buy a new Orbi unless you wanted AX WiFi. 

Message 41 of 52
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Ironically, att sells the RBK50 in their brick and mortar stores now.  
The ISP service is fine.  Multicast seems to be a tricky thing to get right, especially in the satellite.  

Message 42 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you been working with NG on this Multicast issue? 

@gr8sho wrote:

Ironically, att sells the RBK50 in their brick and mortar stores now.  
The ISP service is fine.  Multicast seems to be a tricky thing to get right, especially in the satellite.  

Message 43 of 52
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Have you been working with NG on this Multicast issue? 

There has been no ask of me.  

BTW, I was informed the U-verse wireless settop box uses standard 5GHz WiFi and supposedly can connect to the Orbi via WPS.  This is mildly interesting as I prefer to wired connections for streaming video.  

Message 44 of 52
gr8sho
Virtuoso

An update.  We've had power interruptions here which destabilized the IPTV setup. Decided to factory reset the ISB 7005 and the RBS50.  Afterwards, still could not get multicast to work.  Toggled the disable IGMP proxy switch on and off, and magic happened.  Seems the procedure I followed doesn't sync that setting correctly.  

Message 45 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

What proceedure was that? 

Interesting. So its working now? 

@gr8sho wrote:

An update.  We've had power interruptions here which destabilized the IPTV setup. Decided to factory reset the ISB 7005 and the RBS50.  Afterwards, still could not get multicast to work.  Toggled the disable IGMP proxy switch on and off, and magic happened.  Seems the procedure I followed doesn't sync that setting correctly.  

Message 46 of 52
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Yeah, it's working.  I can tell when there's a problem as the settop box struggles to stream a channel, pause live TV control fails, or other WiFi devices have trouble connecting.  

The procedure as such used here was to factory reset the Cisco settop box, which turned out to be unnecessary, and then to factory reset the Orbi satellite.  When neither of these made a difference, I decided to toggle the IGMP switch in advanced settings using the web GUI , which apparently did the trick.  

Message 47 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like there maybe a minor bug in the operation of this toggle switch then. Something to mention to NG.Nice find. 

@Blanca_O 

@Christian_R 

@gr8sho wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Yeah, it's working.  I can tell when there's a problem as the settop box struggles to stream a channel, pause live TV control fails, or other WiFi devices have trouble connecting.  

The procedure as such used here was to factory reset the Cisco settop box, which turned out to be unnecessary, and then to factory reset the Orbi satellite.  When neither of these made a difference, I decided to toggle the IGMP switch in advanced settings using the web GUI , which apparently did the trick.  

Message 48 of 52
gr8sho
Virtuoso

I tested Uverse TV running the Orbi in AP mode.  There is no IGMP setting in this configuration.  Was able to stream live TV with the settop box connected to a satellite hardwired.  However the controls to timeshift the stream did not work, and was unable to retrieve the recordings info from the DVR.  

Message 49 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

When in AP mode the Orbi acts only as a data traffic pass-thru. You should be able to access any and all data sources. I would review the main host routers configuration. 

Message 50 of 52
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 51 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7