Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi and Airport Extreme/Express printing

bermannyc
Aspirant

Orbi and Airport Extreme/Express printing

Hi

I'd like to use one of old Airport Extremes or Expresses to print wirelessly. Is this possible to do with the Orbi system? I mean add an Airport to the Orbi network without plugging it in directly. My printer (Epson 3880) has an ethernet port on the back but isn't equipped for Wirless Network printing without the express/extreme.

brian

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi and Airport Extreme/Express printing

if the AE support wireless bridging, then yes you could connect it to the Orbi system. You'll need to check with Apple about what AE products support wireless bridging. My 3rd Gen AE does. 

Message 2 of 8
bermannyc
Aspirant

I can have the extreme join the new Orbi network BUT I can't get the printing to work. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I would check the IP address of the printer that it gets from the Orbi thru the AE when it's connected to the AE. The AE if wirelessly bridged and connected to the Orbi should pass thru an IP address to the printer. Your PCs with the printer driver should point to this IP address that the printer gets from the Orbi router. You'll need to contact the Mfr of the printer for additional help and information on this. 

Message 4 of 8
ekhalil
Master

@bermannyc wrote:

Hi

I'd like to use one of old Airport Extremes or Expresses to print wirelessly. Is this possible to do with the Orbi system? I mean add an Airport to the Orbi network without plugging it in directly. My printer (Epson 3880) has an ethernet port on the back but isn't equipped for Wirless Network printing without the express/extreme.

brian

If the printer has a network interface, I really don't see why it can't be connected to an ethernet port on Orbi. Why are the devices able to reach the printer while wired and not while wirelessly connected? 

Have you tried that?

Message 5 of 8
bermannyc
Aspirant

I'd like to be able to print wirelessly without having to plug in to the router/satellite.

I'm now trying to figure out the IP address method.

Brian

Message 6 of 8
ekhalil
Master

@bermannyc wrote:

I'd like to be able to print wirelessly without having to plug in to the router/satellite.

Brian

I meant that you connect the printer wired to Orbi and then print wirelessly from the other devices! 🙂

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I think all you need to do is to ensure the PCs and there printer drivers are directed towards the IP address the printer gets from the Orbi router. Check the printers menu for any networking status or print a config page to see if the IP address is listed here. Use this to point the printer drivers too this IP address. Test a print page. 

@bermannyc wrote:

Brian

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7