Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi and Apple private relay

rior
Tutor

Orbi and Apple private relay

Apple’s new privacy service with iOS 15 doesn’t seem to work with Orbi routers. It works fine on 4G and other wifi routers but not my RBR50. Is this a known issue?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi and Apple private relay

As iOS 15 was (literally) just released, this is the first report of potential issues I have seen.

This appears to be a feature of the Safari browser:

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/ios-15-privacy/  has a description.

At first glance, I see no reason to think the Orbi router would do anything to block this.  It appears to be very similar to a VPN client, except for being restricted to Safari.

Are Smart Parental Controls or Bitdefender Armor enabled on this Orbi?

Message 2 of 7
punkorambo
Guide

I am on iOS 15 connected to my RBK50 router/satellite setup, using Apple Private Relay, writing this response with no problems. If you’d like any more info on my setup/configuration let me know.
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Please do post any of your Orbi and ISP modem configurations. Details will be helpful. 

@punkorambo wrote:
I am on iOS 15 connected to my RBK50 router/satellite setup, using Apple Private Relay, writing this response with no problems. If you’d like any more info on my setup/configuration let me know.

Message 4 of 7
punkorambo
Guide

Optimum Online

Cable Modem: Arris SB6183

Default settings/setup

RBR50 FW 2.7.3.22

RSB50 FW 2.7.3.22

Wired connection

Router Mode

Parental Control: Not Enabled

Armor Security: Not Enabled

UPnP: Off

20/40 Mhz Coexistence: Enabled

WMM: Enabled

CTS/RTS Threshold : 2347

Preamble Mode: Automatic

Daisy Chain: Disabled

Implicit Beamforming: Enabled

MU-MIMO: Enabled

Fast Roaming: Disabled

Message 5 of 7
rior
Tutor

Here’s the error message. I’m on the latest firmware and don’t have parental control or bit defender enabled. Good thing is you can disable the feature on specific routers so I’ve done that on my Orbi for now.

I just found another post here describing similar issue but on a MacBook.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6/Netgear-Orbi-RBR850-is-not-compatible-with-Apple-iCloud...
Message 6 of 7
punkorambo
Guide

I’m just not getting that error. I checked on my wife’s phone, and the iPad. Neither of those get that error either while connected to the Orbi.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7