Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and BT FTTP

StuMcBill
Tutor

Orbi and BT FTTP

Hi,

I've just installed my new Orbi and Satellite system connecting to my BT Homehub 6 (with a FTTP connection).

My FTTP box on the wall connects to my BT Homehub via ethernet, and I have connected the Orbi router to an ethernet port on my BT Homehub.  I've enabled Access Point mode on the Orbi and everything seems to be working fine.  I haven't turned the Wifi off on my BT Homehub yet, as my Sky Q box relies on it at the moment, and I can't change it yet.

Is there anything else I should be doing?  Is there anyway I can completley get rid of the BT hardware, or do I need to utilize the modem part of it?

I'm not a total newbie at Wifi networks, but double NAT and DMZ is a bit above my head.

Is there an idiots guide, or has anyone got any tips for setting this up correctly?

Thanks,

Stewart

Edit - I've just gone back to router mode as I want to utilise the parental controls.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
StuMcBill
Tutor

Hi guys,

Connected directly to the FTTP and the orbi is churning away like a champ!  All sorted now!

Now the task of changing every single WiFi device to the new network.

Out of curiosity, how secure is the password that comes on the sticker on the box, presumably its just a random password generator that spews these out.  I've changed mine, but have often wondered how secure they are?

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 20

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Leave the wifi disabled on the BT modem. 

Modem Combo Units Guide:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

# 1 and 3 are single NAT condtions. # is double NAT condition however use of DMZ on modem helps with NAT issues on this configuration. 

Message 2 of 20
StuMcBill
Tutor

Thanks, I was kinda hoping since the connection from the wall is ethernet, I could connect it directly to the ethernet port on the Orbi?

Message 3 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the modem reside some where in the home? 

Yes you can connect directly from the wall to the Orbi...

Message 4 of 20
ekhalil
Master

@StuMcBill wrote:

Thanks, I was kinda hoping since the connection from the wall is ethernet, I could connect it directly to the ethernet port on the Orbi?

Yes, I think you should be able to connect Orbi directly to the FTTP box and use Orbi as your main router. You just then need to configure PPPoE for internet access in Orbi,

Please use the GUI to go to >> ADVANCED >> Setup >> Internet Setup, choose Yes to using password for internet settings, select PPPoE for "Intenet Service Provider" and set the username to bthomehub@btbroadband.com and leave the password blank (or check this information with BT).

Good luck.

Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

He doesn't need to configure PPPoE as is using the Orbi in AP mode. Let not confuse them please. 

Message 6 of 20
StuMcBill
Tutor

Yeah, but if I'm able to connect directly from the wall to my Orbi (which I think I can as per some other forums), I will need to leave it in Router mode?

@FURRYe38 wrote:

He doesn't need to configure PPPoE as is using the Orbi in AP mode. Let not confuse them please. 

Message 7 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

If your ISP allows you to remove there modem and user the Orbi as an interface then yes. You would need to use the Orbi in router mode. However most ISP require use of a modem or interfacing device. I would contact the ISP first and ask about the details and let them know you'd like to use a external router. If they require a modem, ask about using a modem only device. 

@StuMcBill wrote:

Yeah, but if I'm able to connect directly from the wall to my Orbi (which I think I can as per some other forums), I will need to leave it in Router mode?

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 8 of 20
timch
Luminary

Yes ekhalhill is right.  I have my Orbi connected in router mode directly to the BT box and have removed the Smarthub.  I have also tried the Orbi in AP mode behind the Smarthub to see if there are any advantages but have decided to go with the simplest approach. I definitely wouldn’t run the Smarthub Wi-fi because that will cause problems with the Orbi. 

The only advantage I can see to using the Smarthub and the Orbi in AP mode is that you will get ipv6; Netgear routers don’t work with BT’s implementation.  However I haven’t noticed any downside to not having the ipv6 so am going with the one less box approach. 

Message 9 of 20
timch
Luminary

Ps ignore Furry, he clearly doesn’t understand BT FTTP.

Message 10 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

I may not know about BT FTTP, however I did meantion having the user ask the ISP for official word on what can and can't be done. Thanks for letting us know how yours work. If it works for the poster then this is good. Doen't hurt to check with the ISP though. Not all ISPs are the same and have different requirements.

Thanks. 

@timch wrote:

Ps ignore Furry, he clearly doesn’t understand BT FTTP.

Message 11 of 20
StuMcBill
Tutor

Ok, that's a pity that both BT use a "non standard" setup, and that Netgear don't support it.

If I were to change to another FTTP provider (Zen for example) would this issue go away? Presumably the BT openreach box I have in the house would still be compatible?
Message 12 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

I've seen other posters mentioning using the BT openreach modem. Seems to work for them. Again, I would ask Zen or any ISP on what there requirements are before making a change. Even if you you have to use there modem/router, you can use the modems DMZ for the Orbi router or use the Orbi in AP mode configuration. There is flexibiity. 

@StuMcBill wrote:
Ok, that's a pity that both BT use a "non standard" setup, and that Netgear don't support it.

If I were to change to another FTTP provider (Zen for example) would this issue go away? Presumably the BT openreach box I have in the house would still be compatible?

Message 13 of 20
timch
Luminary

The Openreach modem is irrelevant to FTTP, ignore Furry’s post, it just confirms that he doesn’t know what we are talking about.

Message 14 of 20
thombe
Apprentice

Somewhat unnecessary level of rudeness.

Furry is one of those people that consistently tries to help everybody of every ability.

Message 15 of 20

@StuMcBill wrote:

Tried it?  Looking at this:

Fibre to the Home: Check your wiring and set-up | BT help

the fact that it is a WAN connection suggests that it should work. Other messages seem to confirm this.

BT's FTTP is rare, so you won't find much experience here. (There aren't even that many BT FTTC users here.) That's why there are conflicting thoughts here.

The issue of BT's IPv6 method has come up before. It is not that BT has a "non-standard" implementation, just that Netgear does not support its variant.

Here are some earlier discussions:

Re: IPV6 with BT Infinity - NETGEAR Communities IPV6 with BT Infinity

IPV6 D7000 not working properly

D7000 Nighthawk no IPV6 support with BT Infinity?

As yet I have not seen convincing evidence that this causes anyone problems.

Message 16 of 20
StuMcBill
Tutor

Hi guys,

Connected directly to the FTTP and the orbi is churning away like a champ!  All sorted now!

Out of curiosity, how secure is the password that comes on the sticker on the box, presumably its just a random password generator that spews these out.  I've changed mine, but have often wondered how secure they are?

Message 17 of 20
ekhalil
Master

@StuMcBill wrote:

Hi guys,

Great, and good luck with this task! 🙂

@StuMcBill wrote:

Not secure at all, it's made simple to be used during setup only, I'd change it immediatly.

Message 18 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got working as you desired. 

you can use the SSID if you wish however, definately change the PW. 

Enjoy. 

@StuMcBill wrote:

Hi guys,

Message 19 of 20

@StuMcBill wrote:

Probably not that easy to crack, albeit Netgear uses a standard template, but also not easy to remember.

I create my own SSIDs and passwords to be memorable enough to me and easy enough to use.

But my nearest neighbours are 100 yards away and the chances of anyone glomming on to my wifi are minimal.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7