Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi and Cable Modem/Wifi Router

virghilts
Aspirant

Orbi and Cable Modem/Wifi Router

I'm interested in purchasing the Orbi System but have a couple of questions. My ISP provides a Modem/Wifi Router. I use it as a single gateway to hardwire devices and use the two bands, 5G and 2G for wireless signals. When using the Orbi system should the Wifi on the ISP Modem be disabled? If not disabled, will broadcasting the networks degrade signal for the Orbi. If I have multiple devices hardwired to the Modem is it best to hardwire into the Orbi vs the Modem/Wifi Router? Sorry a newbie a this so trying to learn which may be basics.

Thanks

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5

Re: Orbi and Cable Modem/Wifi Router

@virghilts wrote:

. When using the Orbi system should the Wifi on the ISP Modem be disabled

th simple answer is yes , that is if you intend to use the modem as the router as well and set the orbi system to AP mode which in most cases is the best course of action atm

if you ran the routers wifi as well it may confuse the way the obri works as far as band steering and ap steering

pete

Message 2 of 5
virghilts
Aspirant

Thanks PeteyTesting, so i understand, best practice sounds liek using the modem, strictly as the modem, connect the Orbi as my Wi-fi and hardwired router. If I use the modem as teh router for hardwired devices the Orbi needs to be set in Access Point mode. Is there any signal loss with AP mode?

Message 3 of 5

hi

no signal loss in AP mode

you may not be able to bridge the modem if you have voip or iptv etc running from the modem router

Message 4 of 5
NETthisGEAR
Apprentice

I recommend using the CM1000 with the Orbi if you are going to spend all that money(to anyone thinking of purchasing one). You will want to turn off the WiFi if you did indeed get a modem/router. No big deal though.

For those of you that are trying to decide what to get and have a bigger hom. You can also look at the R9000 Nighthawk Router which can cover a 4000sqft home - assuming there aren't too many walls and obstructions of course. You will want the Orbi for sure if your house is over 4000Sqft,

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7