Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and Ethernet Switch / Backhaul Setup

datascope11
Aspirant

Orbi and Ethernet Switch / Backhaul Setup

Hello, I've been reading through several threads in the forum and wanted some advice for my situation.

I currently have an Orbi AC3000 RBK50 system (router plus one satellite). All is working well, with the exception of 4k video streaming - which works sometimes, and other times streaming services (youtube, Prime, Netflix, Plex etc...) will stream to me in 1080 or worse even if the video is available in 4k. With the addition of a beauty 4k HDR 70' TV thanks to a stellar boxing day deal, our networking needs have changed. ISP is cable 150 up and 15 down, and my wifi speed tests are quite consistent. 

In an attempt to help this situation out, I'm thinking of hardwiring the 4k TV components to the router, however that is inconveniently located in another floor/room of the house. My home is wired with Cat5e cabling although all ends are crimped for RJ-11 phone jacks, so this weekend my project will be to recrimp all of those wires on both ends with RJ-45 jacks. My questions comes down to switches, wiring and ethernet backhaul (which will now be available to me once I recrimp wiring). 

1) Which switch should I be looking at getting? I've read unmanaged is the best option for Orbi (even though managed is possible with some tweaking). I'd likely need something with at least 10 ports, maybe more. Is there something that Orbi users have had better success with? Anyone recommend a certain model?

2) Regarding wiring and backhaul, can someone validate my assumptions here? Configuration would be Cable Modem > Orbi Router > Switch > Orbi Sat. 

3) Assuming #2 is correct, would I be correct in also assuming this setup would allow me to hardwire devices into Orbi Router, Orbi Sat and Switch?

4) Any issues with cat5e cable length runs? For example, I may have the main Orbi up in 3rd floor bedroom, cat5e run down to the basement where switch is, then cat5e from that up to middle floor satelitte.

Thanks so much. Welcome all feedback and other suggestions if I'm not going down the correct path here. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
inkybme1
Initiate

Hello, 

I just wanted to thank everyone that has suggested using non-green switches.  This was the reason I wa not able to set up a wired backhaul connection.  I decided to replace my D-Link (DGS-1024D) non-managed "green" switch with a Netgear non-managed switch (GS324).  Before making the change I made certain I was using the most-recent firmware (V2.3.1.60) .  Then I slowly, and methodically allowed the router to set up fully.  Then I allowed each satellite to connect, one-at-a -time.  Once my 3 satellites were connected (wirelessly), I waited about 15 minutes, then attached a cat6 cable to the first satellite.  After about 2 minutes the blue-colored ring glowed at the top of the satellite.  Once the blue ring disappeared, I repeated the process for each satellite.  It seems the "green" ethernet switch was the issue.  Thank you again for your suggestions and advice regarding wired backhaul connections. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I currently have an Orbi AC3000 RBK50 system (router plus one satellite). All is working well, with the exception of 4k video streaming - which works sometimes, and other times streaming services (youtube, Prime, Netflix, Plex etc...) will stream to me in 1080 or worse even if the video is available in 4k. With the addition of a beauty 4k HDR 70' TV thanks to a stellar boxing day deal, our networking needs have changed. ISP is cable 150 up and 15 down, and my wifi speed tests are quite consistent. 

Depending upon if 4K is compressed or not. 4K bandwidth can be well over 1Gb. LAN connections should help. 

I would not recommend piping 4K over wiresless.

In an attempt to help this situation out, I'm thinking of hardwiring the 4k TV components to the router, however that is inconveniently located in another floor/room of the house. My home is wired with Cat5e cabling although all ends are crimped for RJ-11 phone jacks, so this weekend my project will be to recrimp all of those wires on both ends with RJ-45 jacks. My questions comes down to switches, wiring and ethernet backhaul (which will now be available to me once I recrimp wiring). 

You'll need RJ-45 at both ends. 

1) Which switch should I be looking at getting? I've read unmanaged is the best option for Orbi (even though managed is possible with some tweaking). I'd likely need something with at least 10 ports, maybe more. Is there something that Orbi users have had better success with? Anyone recommend a certain model?

Any un-managed, non-smart, and non-green ethernet switch is preferred. 

Netgears GS, HP 1400 series and D-Link DGS 105/8 series are great. You can find NG and D-Link switchs on Amazon for cheap. 

2) Regarding wiring and backhaul, can someone validate my assumptions here? Configuration would be Cable Modem > Orbi Router > Switch > Orbi Sat. 

Yes this configuration works.

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

3) Assuming #2 is correct, would I be correct in also assuming this setup would allow me to hardwire devices into Orbi Router, Orbi Sat and Switch?

Yes. You can have many switches behind the Orbi router. I have two switches in between the router and satellite. 

4) Any issues with cat5e cable length runs? For example, I may have the main Orbi up in 3rd floor bedroom, cat5e run down to the basement where switch is, then cat5e from that up to middle floor satelitte.

Even though 5e is rated for 1000Mb connection rate, CAT6 is better. I use CAT6A in all for future 10Gb rates and CAT6 from wall to devices. 

Message 2 of 8
datascope11
Aspirant

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I see it has this feature:

Energy-efficient technology for power savings

This maybe the GreenEthernet feature thats not recommended. However if you can get one to try out and see if it works with Orbi, I would give it a try. Places like Amazon have good refund policies. One user posted about having a TP-Link with GreenEthernet, once he removed it the system started working better. Maybe different with a NG branded switch. 

Message 4 of 8
datascope11
Aspirant

I see that the GS105 and GS108 even has that same feature (Energy Efficient Ethernet Support (IEEE 802.3az)). So I think I'll give either the 116 or the 316 a try depending on price.

http://netgear.com/business/products/switches/unmanaged/GS105.aspx#tab-techspecs

http://netgear.com/business/products/switches/unmanaged/GS108LP.aspx#tab-techspecs

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it works for you. Hope they work well. 

Message 6 of 8
inkybme1
Initiate

Hello, 

I just wanted to thank everyone that has suggested using non-green switches.  This was the reason I wa not able to set up a wired backhaul connection.  I decided to replace my D-Link (DGS-1024D) non-managed "green" switch with a Netgear non-managed switch (GS324).  Before making the change I made certain I was using the most-recent firmware (V2.3.1.60) .  Then I slowly, and methodically allowed the router to set up fully.  Then I allowed each satellite to connect, one-at-a -time.  Once my 3 satellites were connected (wirelessly), I waited about 15 minutes, then attached a cat6 cable to the first satellite.  After about 2 minutes the blue-colored ring glowed at the top of the satellite.  Once the blue ring disappeared, I repeated the process for each satellite.  It seems the "green" ethernet switch was the issue.  Thank you again for your suggestions and advice regarding wired backhaul connections. 

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for confirming the use of non Green Ethernet switches. Glad the new switch is working well. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@inkybme1 wrote:

Hello, 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7