Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi and FTTP - most update information?

Orbi and FTTP - most update information?

Hello,

I can see questions have been asked before but want to double-check none of the information has changed.

I am about have BT full fibre 900 turned on - few questions:

1) I plan to plug the ONT direct into the orbi and not take the BT smarthub even out of the box - that will work fine once I've entered BT creditionals?

2) I'm aware of the limitations of wifi but any settings tweaks to get every last mb for wifi devices?

3) I have a couple of AX devices and was thinking of maybe looking at upgrading to the Orbi AX kit - worth it? 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi and FTTP - most update information?

@Charlesknight wrote:

1) I plan to plug the ONT direct into the orbi and not take the BT smarthub even out of the box - that will work fine once I've entered BT creditionals?  Certainly believe so.  Something to ask the installer while he/she is there.  I do not know how the installers validate "all good."  They could plug their own laptop into the ONT, or might insist on wanting to plug in the BT box.

2) I'm aware of the limitations of wifi but any settings tweaks to get every last mb for wifi devices? None that I know of.

3) I have a couple of AX devices and was thinking of maybe looking at upgrading to the Orbi AX kit - worth it? That's sort of the "question of the day."  With every vendor releasing WiFi6 products (Netgear has two competing lines - or is it three?), we are all waiting to see some solid "head to head" comparisons.  All I have seen thus far are pretty much "fluff" comparing printed specs.  Since you already have more than one WiFi6 device, it would be worthwhile to see if the current Orbi experience meets your expectations.  No other devices will benefit from WiFi6.

If you have some idle time, this would be a good time to scan the user forums for each brand and see what the major complaints are for each.  (Satisfied customers seldom join forums and post glowing reports.)

Initial reports seem to be that the existing Orbi system will not "integrate" into any WiFi6 system (even with the Netgear Orbi WiFi6.)  So, unless this is a "fork lift upgrade", then keeping Orbi units will result in areas where there is no WiFi6 coverage.

Message 2 of 4

Thanks very helpful - I will hold off on the new kit until we see a couple of hardware revisions.
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

@Charlesknight wrote:

Hello,

I can see questions have been asked before but want to double-check none of the information has changed.

I am about have BT full fibre 900 turned on - few questions:

1) I plan to plug the ONT direct into the orbi and not take the BT smarthub even out of the box - that will work fine once I've entered BT creditionals? Ask your ISP about this to see if this is supported. 

2) I'm aware of the limitations of wifi but any settings tweaks to get every last mb for wifi devices?

Check to see that Beamforming and WMM are enabled. MIMO as well if you have any MIMO supporting devices. 

3) I have a couple of AX devices and was thinking of maybe looking at upgrading to the Orbi AX kit - worth it? 

Up to you. You'll have to test an AX system out to see if it worth it to you. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7