Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and Fixed Wireless Broadband

TV_Actor
Aspirant

Orbi and Fixed Wireless Broadband

Before I purchase an Orbi system, I need to find out if it will be compatible with Fixed Wireless Broadband (provided by a line of sight radio signal).  Not sure what else to say.  Any first-hand experience from Orbi users whose internet is Fixed Wireless Broadband would be appreciated.  And thanks!
Steve

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6

hi

using the specific term "fixed wireless" suggests you are in australia on the NBN right ?

as if thats the case you have some sort of dish / antenna on the roof and an NTD iknstalled in the house

if that is the case any wireless router will work as well as the orbi

which orbi kit you neeed will depend in the size of your house , anything under 350 sq meters and the cheaper and newer rbk40 will be fine

just one question what wireless router do you have at the moment or are used to using ?

pete

Message 2 of 6
TV_Actor
Aspirant

Hi, Pete...
Nope, this is going to be in the mountains of Colorado, USA. Peak Internet will be the provider and the service is called Fixed Wireless Broadband. There's an antenna on the roof that receives a line-of-sight radio signal containing the internety stuff. I havent moved in yet. The house is about 2200 square feet (204.39 sq meters) with a main floor and walkout basement.
Steve
Message 3 of 6
st_shaw
Master

Orbi should work for you in AP mode.  It might not work for you in router mode, because wireless ISPs often use their own special routers.

Message 4 of 6
TV_Actor
Aspirant

No clue what AP mode is. I'll read up a bit. Thank you!
S
Message 5 of 6

@TV_Actor wrote:
Hi, Pete...
Nope, this is going to be in the mountains of Colorado, USA. Peak Internet will be the provider and the service is called Fixed Wireless Broadband. There's an antenna on the roof that receives a line-of-sight radio signal containing the internety stuff. I havent moved in yet. The house is about 2200 square feet (204.39 sq meters) with a main floor and walkout basement.
Steve

lol fair enough as fixed wireless is what they call it here in oz and sounds about the same concept

the antenna should drop down to a connection box normally called an NTD , this is not usually a modem or router and gives you an ethernet point to connect to

so if thats the case as i said any wireless router will work , you may need to check with the isp as to how the connection is made ether by ipoe or pppoe etc not sure on those specifics

if the above is the case you wouldnt run the orbi in AP mode as you wouldnt have a router involved , in this case you would run the orbi in router mode

------------------

if however the isp has supplied some device that is the router and has to be used only then would you run the orbi in ap mode behind that router

pete

p.s

at 2200sqft you def wont need the rbk50 , the rbk40 pack should do you fine and save you money

if you want post a link to your isp and the fixed wireless plan and details , will help to see if the setup is the same as ours

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7