Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and Google websites

hallson
Aspirant

Orbi and Google websites

'm at wits end and hope that someone here might be able to help.

I have an Orbi20 with two satelites. I get great speeds (~200mbps) and have been very happy with the device. Over the last few weeks, I have noticed that all Google owned properties (Gmail, Drive, YT, Search) have been incredibly slow, sometimes not even able to load. I have tried, multiple accounts, browsers, computers and nothing changes. When I take my laptop outside my home, everything works fine. Come back home and the slowness re-appears. I contacted my cable provider, reset the modem and router, changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and then 1.1.1.1 and nothing. Again, this only impacts google properties and nothing else on the internet. Fast.com consistently gives me ~200mbps.

I finally tried connecting directly to my cable modem and guess what, google worked normally! Went back to connecting via Wifi and we were back to slow speeds. Contact Netgear and they were no help. They seemed unable to comprehend the problem.

So now I am trying here. Help?

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Message 2 of 17
Chuck_M
Mentor

Do you have circle enabled?

Message 3 of 17
hallson
Aspirant

No I do not. Its turned off
Message 4 of 17
Chuck_M
Mentor

What other type of devices are connected to your network?  Perhaps something else is causing this behavior.

Message 5 of 17
hallson
Aspirant

There is nothing out of the ordinary but will try switching things off to see if it is related. Thanks
Message 6 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 7 of 17
johnc646
Aspirant

I have the same exact problem, have troubleshooted the exact same steps, and I'm at my wits end.  I can't understand why or how this is happening.  I disabled QoS and WMM in attempts to resolve and tried a whole slew of different DNS providers, but can't seem to resolve.  If you find a solution please do follow-up with us here!

Message 8 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

@johnc646 wrote:

I have the same exact problem, have troubleshooted the exact same steps, and I'm at my wits end.  I can't understand why or how this is happening.  I disabled QoS and WMM in attempts to resolve and tried a whole slew of different DNS providers, but can't seem to resolve.  If you find a solution please do follow-up with us here!

Message 9 of 17
johnc646
Aspirant

Router RBR40 V2.2.1.210 
Satellite RBW30 V2.2.1.204

Both wired and wireless clients experience this problem. Have tried Quad9, ISP DNS, Cloudflare, Google DNS, etc.

Have tried with QoS and WMM enabled and disabled in every combination. ISP is RCN and RBR40 is in router mode connected to our modem which is Arris TM804G. Every other site / service performance is perfectly fine except every and all Google related services.

Message 10 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Connect up one wired PC or laptop directly to the ISP modem. Do you get the same issue with google? 

@johnc646 wrote:

Router RBR40 V2.2.1.210 
Satellite RBW30 V2.2.1.204

Both wired and wireless clients experience this problem. Have tried Quad9, ISP DNS, Cloudflare, Google DNS, etc.

Have tried with QoS and WMM enabled and disabled in every combination. ISP is RCN and RBR40 is in router mode connected to our modem which is Arris TM804G. Every other site / service performance is perfectly fine except every and all Google related services.

Message 11 of 17
johnc646
Aspirant

No, directly connected everything loads perfectly fine and performance is as expected.  Please trust me when I say I've ran through every single plausible scenario to rule at an issue other than it being the Orbi.

Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, it wasn't mentioned that direct with modem was done so reason for asking. 

I would do this, upgrade to v32. You'll need to download v212 and v32 for the RBR. Download v32 for the RBS and apply this first. You don't have to apply v212 to the RBS. Then apply v212 on the RBR, then apply v32. 

I would power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds as well. Do a factory reset on both RBR and RBS and setup from scratch. I would not add the satellites just yet. 

Use a wired PC and setup the RBR first. I would set the LAN IP address range to 192.168.1.100 to .200. You can make the pool size even smaller if you don't have that many devcies, say .150. 

Set up custom DNS for  8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 or 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9 or leave DNS at auto. 

Save settings and fully reboot the RBR. When the RBR is rebooting either reboot the PC or do a IPCONFIG /flushdns in a command line box. 

Besure to clear ALL browser caches, close the browser then reopen and test internet connections and services. 

Let us know...

@johnc646 wrote:

No, directly connected everything loads perfectly fine and performance is as expected.  Please trust me when I say I've ran through every single plausible scenario to rule at an issue other than it being the Orbi.

Message 13 of 17
johnc646
Aspirant

Thank you for the help so far. Do you know why v32 and v212 don't show as available updates through the web interface?  Interface is reporting both devices are up to date so I didn't even go out of my way to check for manual updates on either device. This is powering a small business network so I don't have the flexibility to run betas unfortunately.   

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

You maybe in a region where your system isn't avaialble on the servers as of yet. Manual update is preferred however. Please use IE11 or FF browser to perform the FW loads. 

Message 15 of 17
johnc646
Aspirant

Netegear support page claims v32 is for the 50 series only.  I'm on an RBR40.

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Oops, sorry about that...should have checked your model, for 40 series, please use the v28 version that is available. 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7