Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and ISP router/modem and configurations

Vinterbird
Star

Orbi and ISP router/modem and configurations

I'm trying to wrap my head around configuration of the Orbi with the ISP modem/router.

My ISP has set their router/modem into bridge mode, so it will just feed whatever is connected via ehternet a clean connection to the internet. So I would be wise to set the Orbi unit as the main router for the house, yes?

Are there any configurations I should make in the ISP router in terms of DHCP lease or other settings in order to get the Orbi to work the best it can? Currently it seems like the Orbi will loose internet connection every few hours (the router will emit a solid magenta/purple and no internet is available), and I had to factory reset everything in order to get it to back again.

The ISP is providing the bridge/router with a static public IP, should I get that changed as well?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
TheEther
Guru

@Vinterbird wrote:

I'm trying to wrap my head around configuration of the Orbi with the ISP modem/router.

My ISP has set their router/modem into bridge mode, so it will just feed whatever is connected via ehternet a clean connection to the internet. So I would be wise to set the Orbi unit as the main router for the house, yes?

Yes.

Are there any configurations I should make in the ISP router in terms of DHCP lease or other settings in order to get the Orbi to work the best it can? Currently it seems like the Orbi will loose internet connection every few hours (the router will emit a solid magenta/purple and no internet is available), and I had to factory reset everything in order to get it to back again.

If the router/modem is truly in bridge mode, then it is not involved in handing out DHCP leases.  The DHCP lease would come from the ISP's DHCP server in the cabinet down the street or in their central office, unless your ISP doesn't use DHCP.  More about this below.  

Is your Orbi obtaining a public IP address for its Internet/WAN port?

Do you see anything in the logs maintained by either the Orbi or the router/modem that might shed some light on the disconnections?

The ISP is providing the bridge/router with a static public IP, should I get that changed as well?

Can you explain more?  The modem/router is manually configured with a static IP?  Does it still have this IP address in bridge mode?  Does your Orbi has a different public IP?

Message 2 of 4
Vinterbird
Star

@TheEther wrote:

If the router/modem is truly in bridge mode, then it is not involved in handing out DHCP leases.  The DHCP lease would come from the ISP's DHCP server in the cabinet down the street or in their central office, unless your ISP doesn't use DHCP.  More about this below.  

Is your Orbi obtaining a public IP address for its Internet/WAN port?

Do you see anything in the logs maintained by either the Orbi or the router/modem that might shed some light on the disconnections?

Orbi is getting some sort of IP from the internet port, and looking at the log there is mention of a DOS attack in the time where the internet went out the first time, but the second time it just seemed to lock up on me and I had to hard reset the router to get it working.

Can you explain more?  The modem/router is manually configured with a static IP?  Does it still have this IP address in bridge mode?  Does your Orbi has a different public IP?

I'm a bit out of my comfort zone with public IP stuff, so I hope this makes sense: My ISP recommended me that if I had their equipment in bridge mode, they would provide me with a static publiv IPv4 address. I can see in the Orbi settings that it is getting an IP from the ISP router/modem which is 185.x.x.x and then I have my local IP that the Orbi hands out in the 192.x.x.x range.

Message 3 of 4
TheEther
Guru

185.x.x.x is a public IP address.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements