Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi and Lennox iComfort thermostat

mljones6
Aspirant

Orbi and Lennox iComfort thermostat

I've just had a new Lennox iComfort thermostat installed, and it will not connect to Orbi.  The thermostat will connect to my iPhone hotspot, but not Orbi. The thermostat shows a good WiFi signal from Orbi--3 or 4 bars.  Anyone had a similar problem, and how did you troubleshoot it?

Message 1 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi and Lennox iComfort thermostat

What model Orbi system do you have?

What FW version is loaded?

Try setting a temporary OPEN on the Orbi router and see if the device will connect. Then set WPA and TPIK and see if the device will connect. Then try WPA2 and AES only. Any of these connect?

Disable Beamforming, MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming and test.

I would check with the device Mfr help and info regarding this. See if they have any known issues with NGs Orbi systems.

Message 2 of 27
nbuubu
Guide

I have the same setup, with the Lennox iComfort, and ever since the latest forced Orbi firmware it won't connect at all. I reset the wifi password to be super simple with no special characters after reading the iComfort has issues with those, and it connected once for about an hour last night before failing to connect again all day today.

For me this is a fairly recent thing, coinciding with the newest firmware. I think it broke something.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 27
tsig
Luminary

wonder if it could be a 2.4ghz channel issue.

Message 4 of 27
nbuubu
Guide

I have daisy chain, MIMO, fast roaming, and beamforming all disabled, and it still refuses to connect (or does so intermittently).

The only option I had enabled when the iComfort was working, was daisy chain. It had no issues. But since the latest Orbi update the iComfort panel would actually detect three separate SSIDs for my network. Noticed the same thing on a New 3DS system ... three separate SSIDs when there should only be one, but at least the 3DS was able to connect.

Figured that might be a problem, so I disabled daisy chain. Now the devices only detect one SSID as they should, but the iComfort thermostat still won't connect to Orbi.

Message 5 of 27
nbuubu
Guide

Since everything was working for me on the previous update, is there any way to simply block the auto-update feature if I could go back to the older firmware?

Frustrating that auto-update isn't a standard option to disable.

Message 6 of 27
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 7 of 27
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@mljones6 wrote:

I've just had a new Lennox iComfort thermostat installed, and it will not connect to Orbi.  The thermostat will connect to my iPhone hotspot, but not Orbi. The thermostat shows a good WiFi signal from Orbi--3 or 4 bars.  Anyone had a similar problem, and how did you troubleshoot it?

how do you perform the setup?  At the Lennox iComfort thermostat or using your Iphone?

Message 8 of 27
nbuubu
Guide

I do the wifi setup right at the iComfort panel.

I upgraded the firmware to the latest 2.1.4.14 and it connected once for about 30 minutes, but then disconnected again. And again, it's showing 3 identical SSIDs being broadcast.

The iComfort panel just sits at "joining" until displaying an error, wifi command timed out. This problem is new to me, and it's only been since 2.1.4.10/14 releases.

Message 9 of 27
tsig
Luminary

can you forget all of the previous networks and start over?  Weird that you can see three different networks, can you see them on all devices?

Message 10 of 27
nbuubu
Guide

The weird thing is all of my other devices work fine. Even the other devices on the 2.4 band. Both the Lennox and the New 3ds see three identical SSIDs whereas the other 2.4 band devices only see one. And only the Lennox iComfort E30 is having trouble staying connected.

This problem started with the last forced update. I really don't understand why Netgear is forcing consumers to update their Orbi units when every time it adds a host of new issues. I was fine on 2.1.3.4 ... why can't I simply stay on that one?

Message 11 of 27
Retired_Member
Not applicable

sounds like your thermo is being confused (3 networks) with the Orbi and the Sats.  If you're running Sats, try turning them off and then try to setup the thermo.

Message 12 of 27
nbuubu
Guide

Thanks, but I tried that and no dice. Even with satellites disconnected the iComfort won't connect. Don't get it.

Is there a way to force my Orbi to stay on 2.1.3.4 which I know was working? Don't want to keep reflashing when Netgear pushes non-functional updates.

Message 13 of 27
nbuubu
Guide

I've gone back to 2.1.3.4 and everything's working great again. No problems with any devices. So the issue is clearly with whatever Netgear did in the last update and the new beta.

I have tried to telnet to my router to disable the auto-updates but it's asking for a password then exits. 😕

Message 14 of 27
mcb13
Initiate

My iComfort S30 connected just fine the other night when I first set up my Orbi (RBK53) system.

I was able to control the upstairs and downstairs temp by the iComfort app and through Alexa with no problems.

This afternoon, I could not get the S30 to respond by app or Alexa, so back to the thermostat settings I went.    I now see three SSIDs and the S30 will not connect to any of the three.   If I tap the i in a circle next to each, it says security is wpa/psk tkip, with no option to change it to WPA2.

I was able to manually add the thermostat using my SSID and setting it manually to WPA2.   Everything seems to be working now using that method.   Clearly the iComfort is not reading the security type info put out by the Orbi system.  

My Orbis came with 2.1.3.4 out of the box and then updated to 2.1.4.0.    The iComfort device worked fine briefly on 2.1.4.0 but something caused it to drop and not read correctly after that.

Message 15 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Might try FW upate here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1584969/highli...

Do a factory reset after the update and set up the Orbi router from scratch.

@mcb13 wrote:

My iComfort S30 connected just fine the other night when I first set up my Orbi (RBK53) system.

I was able to control the upstairs and downstairs temp by the iComfort app and through Alexa with no problems.

This afternoon, I could not get the S30 to respond by app or Alexa, so back to the thermostat settings I went.    I now see three SSIDs and the S30 will not connect to any of the three.   If I tap the i in a circle next to each, it says security is wpa/psk tkip, with no option to change it to WPA2.

I was able to manually add the thermostat using my SSID and setting it manually to WPA2.   Everything seems to be working now using that method.   Clearly the iComfort is not reading the security type info put out by the Orbi system.  

My Orbis came with 2.1.3.4 out of the box and then updated to 2.1.4.0.    The iComfort device worked fine briefly on 2.1.4.0 but something caused it to drop and not read correctly after that.

Message 16 of 27
thermo1
Aspirant

I too have had a connectivity problem as described.  My thermostat was working fine and installed on 5/16 until late summer of 2018.  In June of 2018 I installed my Orbi system without a problem, including my thermostat and all other wifi devices.  In September, my Orbi connection to my Lennox icomfort thermostat became intermittent and then virtually noexistant.  I disconnected Orbi and reconnected to my former router and the thermostat connects to the wifi as it should.  I have many deadspots in my home that Orbi corrected, but the thermostat connection is unacceptable.  Help!

Message 17 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Hoping NG support can have a look at this. So try this out as well. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Try this as well:

Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR40-RBS40-V2-1-4-16-mesh-network-drops-connection-to/m-...
Change the CTR/RTS threshold values for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (2341 and 2345 respectively), changed preamble modes to long preamble, and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

@thermo1 wrote:

I too have had a connectivity problem as described.  My thermostat was working fine and installed on 5/16 until late summer of 2018.  In June of 2018 I installed my Orbi system without a problem, including my thermostat and all other wifi devices.  In September, my Orbi connection to my Lennox icomfort thermostat became intermittent and then virtually noexistant.  I disconnected Orbi and reconnected to my former router and the thermostat connects to the wifi as it should.  I have many deadspots in my home that Orbi corrected, but the thermostat connection is unacceptable.  Help!

Message 18 of 27
sc13
Tutor

I just got our system installed which includes Lennox iComfort S30 smart hub.  They will not connect, and yes it shows WPA connection attempt.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 19 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

What version of FW are you using?

Try any of the suggestions mentioned in the prior post?

@sc13 wrote:

I just got our system installed which includes Lennox iComfort S30 smart hub.  They will not connect, and yes it shows WPA connection attempt.

Message 20 of 27
sc13
Tutor

I just solved this problem by going back one version of firmware in my Orbi.

for me, this is where I was able to get a previous version

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR20.aspx#download

then I logged into my system

www.orbilogin.net

Advanced > Administration > Firmware Update

Then click Browse, and search for the firmware file that you downloaded

Make sure that you select the device then click Update

Message 21 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know...

@sc13 wrote:

I just solved this problem by going back one version of firmware in my Orbi.

for me, this is where I was able to get a previous version

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR20.aspx#download

then I logged into my system

www.orbilogin.net

Advanced > Administration > Firmware Update

Then click Browse, and search for the firmware file that you downloaded

Make sure that you select the device then click Update

Message 22 of 27
sc13
Tutor

Back to the drawing board.  Going back one version worked until the auto update [which can't be changed] changed it back to the latest version.  I was on the phone with Netgear for awhile, but still haven't resolved the issue.  Same situation here, no problem connection the thermostat to my iphone.

Message 23 of 27
mljones6
Aspirant

I solved my problem a long time ago since my original post. I can't remember exactly what I did, but I do know that I googled the issue and a remedy was posted.  As I recall, I had to go into Orbi's advanced settings to deselect some settings. Sorry I'm not much help.

Message 24 of 27
sc13
Tutor

Solved the problem.  Took Orbi out of the loop.  I had another wifi network available and it has been working very well.  Don't know why Lennox and Orbi can't get along, but I am tired of trying to figure it out.

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7