Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and NEST

morrisseysb
Apprentice

Orbi and NEST

Anyone else have NEST devices and notice that they do not connect to the satellite?  I have a house full of NEST devices and there are several that are way closer to the satellite but are connecting to the router instead.  Other devices seem to connect to the closest unit, like my web cam and tablets.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 11
mahughesnh
Guide

I only have the Nest thermastat but it is connected to the satellite with no issues.

Message 2 of 11
morrisseysb
Apprentice

I have the Thermostat also, the latest version and several Nest protects.  Not one is connecting to the satelite and most of them are way closer to it.

Message 3 of 11
morrisseysb
Apprentice

Ok i take that back the thermostat is connecting to the sat....but the protects are not.

Message 4 of 11
timch
Luminary

As I have battery Protects, they only connect intermittently so I can’t confirm explicitly that they are connecting to the satellite.  However given their placement, I am certain 2 of them definitely are.  Bottom line, no issues with Nest thermostat and Protects and Orbi for me.

Message 5 of 11
Mikey94025
Hero

@morrisseysb wrote:

Ok i take that back the thermostat is connecting to the sat....but the protects are not.

I have 4 Nest Protects and 3 Orbi satellites, I just checked and all 4 protects are connected to the Orbi router.  But does it matter?  As long as they have connectivity (and they do... they are updating and reporting OK) then all is fine.

Message 6 of 11
morrisseysb
Apprentice

No it doesnt matter.  They are way closer to the sat though.   Part of why I switched from my nighthawk ac3200 was because some of the protects were barely getting signal.  Interesting that they are now at 100% signal....and they are connected to the router which is in the same place as the ac3200 was.  They only got 30% signal with the ac3200.  

Message 7 of 11
TC10
Tutor

It may depend on your location.  In Canada, Nestcams only support 2.4ghz, ie no 5ghz for Nestcams in Canada....

Message 8 of 11
smilepak
Tutor

I just setup the orbi and notice this too. The satellite is less than 5 feet from it, but it would rather connect to the router 40 feet away. All my nest cam are doing that
Message 9 of 11
smilepak
Tutor

Apparent Nest confirm issue with Orbi
Message 10 of 11
MrX911
Apprentice

If you are running 2.1 firmware on Orbi,there are issues with clients incorrrectly showing up as all connected to the router when actually they are not. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7