Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and Nest Outdoor Camera issues

vuongman
Tutor

Orbi and Nest Outdoor Camera issues

I just install the ORBI mesh system and although the speed is fantasic, my two Nest outdoor camera seems to be losing signal(disconnecting) several times a day. Over 10 minutes sometimes. This happens despite moving the satellites closer to the cameras as well. Anyone experience this? It only happens to the camera and not to any other devices.

Thanks,

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 34
Mikey94025
Hero

This is a well-known problem right now.  The workaround is to disable "implicit beamforming" in Advanced Setup... Wireless Settings - Uncheck the "Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING" option and your Nest cameras will stop disconnecting.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Intermittent-internet-connectivity-outage-with-Orbi/td-p/11447...

Message 2 of 34
vuongman
Tutor

Thanks Mickey for the response, but it seems I don't have that option. The options are: Enable SSID Broadcast, Enable Wireless Router Radio, and Enable 20/40 MHz coexistance. I have firmware V1.4.0.34. Weird

Message 3 of 34
MarkC1024
Luminary

It's on the very bottom of that screen, below "Backhaul Password".

Message 4 of 34
vuongman
Tutor

Ok I see it now, but apprentely it has already been deselected all this time, and my camera still randomly go offline. So something else must be going on?? I do like the speed performance of ORBI but if it doesn't play well with my cameras, I'll probably have to return this. The main reason why I was looking into this was to have constant streaming of my cameras.

Message 5 of 34
B747driver
Star

FWIW, I returned the Linksys Velop after a few days because it had the same problem with Nest cameras.

Message 6 of 34
Toy4wd
Tutor

I had this issue arise just today.  Always had intermittent issues but today cameras are just useless.  I have updated the settings according to this post with no resolution.  Hate to have to buy another router but not happy with Orbi.

Message 7 of 34
vuongman
Tutor

Yeh, I don't know why manufactures test their products with other products for compatibility. I was going to try Velop but the other poster didn't have any luck either. I did try the Amplifi HD one and really like that one. It had very limited drops on the camera but it was only for a few seconds and only happen to the furtherest one from the router. It was built very well, the app was MUCH better then netgears' and it looks good. Getting in touch with tech support was also supper easy. You could chat or call them. Not like netgear where I had to answer quesstions before the phone number was even revealed to me. The only problem was the speed. At times it even slower then my old stand alone router. That's when I decided to try ORBI. Love the tri-band system but not much else.

Message 8 of 34
StevenT
Aspirant

I just installed the Orbi AC3000 system, and am also experiencing frequent drop outs with my dropcams and nest cameras.  I did have implicit beamforming turned on, and will try turning it off and see if it helps with the cameras.  If it doesn't, I'm going to have to return the Orbi and get another router.

Message 9 of 34
susiepratt
Tutor

I just bought the orbi system, and after getting most of my wireless set up, ran into this problem with my nest cams. After trying all the community advice, I tried phone support. Basically was told to return the system, there is no fix. I will be spreading the word.

Message 10 of 34
Mikey94025
Hero

@susiepratt wrote:

I just bought the orbi system, and after getting most of my wireless set up, ran into this problem with my nest cams. After trying all the community advice, I tried phone support. Basically was told to return the system, there is no fix. I will be spreading the word.

Did you first try the known workaround posted in this thread?  Disable "implicit beamforming" in Advanced Setup... Wireless Settings - Uncheck the "Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING" option and your Nest cameras will stop disconnecting.

Message 11 of 34
susiepratt
Tutor

Yes I did. The tech support also confirmed that same "fix", but it did not work for me. He told me to take my system back.

Message 12 of 34
StevenT
Aspirant

I guess I have been lucky.  I installed an Orbi a couple of weeks ago, and have a range of Nest cameras on my network (ranging from older dropcam pro to newer Nest cam outdoor).  They were frequently dropping connection, but after I turned off implicit beamforming, I haven't noticed any connection problems with the cameras.

Message 13 of 34
gfrey
Apprentice

I have a couple Dropcams, Nest Cams, and now two outdoor Nest Cams.  I bought the Orbi system when it was first released and had the issue of the cams disconnecting.  When the solution was to Uncheck the "Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING" option came about, I haven't had one single disconnect.  I keep Implicit Beamforming off and check it after every firmware update.

Message 14 of 34
Toy4wd
Tutor

I have continued to have the issues.   Definately decreased but constant drops not only for my cameras but for my devices as well.  Very frustrating and will eventually buy another Wifi system if it persists, give this to my mom or something, sad. 

Message 15 of 34
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Toy4wd

I have sent you a PM

DarrenM

Message 16 of 34
bsholbrook
Apprentice

3 options to look at:
-Uncheck 20/40 co existence
-drop the 2.4ghz power levels in 25% increments
-turn off beam form

The beamforming option will be fixed soon and the other two options are unique for each site install. It's Easy to overdue it with the Orbi setup and then Have trouble with radios over running each other.

Message 17 of 34
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Everyone

We currently have a beta firmware for issue with Nest cameras if you would like to test this firmware send me a Private message with your name, Email, and phone number then our support team will work with you and provide the beta firmware.

Thanks

DarrenM

Message 18 of 34
susiepratt
Tutor

I wanted to post an update in case it might help others. The Orbi definitely boosted my overall network speed over my prior router, so before returning my system as recommended by Netgear support, I decided to call Nest. Their support seems to have nailed my issue on the 1st suggestion. While I have excellent download speed from my ISP, something had gone very wrong with the upload speed (and I had not noticed that), and that affects the cameras. I had to call my ISP out and they found a recent problem at the street level. I have been back up with the new upload speed for about 3 days, and all looks good so far. Nest told me for 5 cameras they recommend at least 5 Mbps upload, preferably 10.

Message 19 of 34
Danielt9
Aspirant

Can you please send me the new firmware.  I have had continuous issues with my Nest and am close to returning the router.

Message 20 of 34
Mikey94025
Hero

You're replying to an old thread.  The latest publicly-available firmware version, V1.12.0.18, resolves the previous issues with Nest cameras.  You should be able to auto-update your Orbi to get this firmware version.  I've had zero disconnects with this firmware version and my 5 cameras (with implicit beamforming and MU-MIMO re-enabled).

Message 21 of 34
idagz
Aspirant

After the update,Capture.JPG2.JPG I'm still having issues in both of my cameras.

Message 22 of 34

I think I'm having the same issue with my Arlo Q and Nest Cam Indoor.  Any tips on what should I do?

Message 23 of 34
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello george

Can you give some more detail on the issue you are having.

DarrenM

Message 24 of 34
ufgators2k
Aspirant

This issue still seems to be prevalent. I have a Nest Outdoor Cam that disconnects more than half the day. I checked my Wi-Fi speed, both upload and download, and they are both excellent (200Mbps down/25Mbps up). When will the Orbi be fixed for the dropouts?

Message 25 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7