Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and Nest Outdoor Camera issues

Mikey94025
Hero

@ufgators2k wrote:

This issue still seems to be prevalent. I have a Nest Outdoor Cam that disconnects more than half the day. I checked my Wi-Fi speed, both upload and download, and they are both excellent (200Mbps down/25Mbps up). When will the Orbi be fixed for the dropouts?

Most other Orbi users no longer have any issues or dropouts with their Nest cameras.  We need to figure out what's different about your environment.

What version of the firmware are you running?  Have you tried toggling the Implicit Beamforming and/or MU-MIMO settings?  With the latest V2.0.0.74 firmware there's no need to toggle these settings but let's see if they affect your environment.  I don't have any disconnects or dropouts with my Nest indoor, Nest outdoor, and Arlo cameras.

Message 26 of 34
idagz
Aspirant

Update...I have upgraded to the latest Outdoor Nest Cams and the issue went away. No more disconnects.

Message 27 of 34
ufgators2k
Aspirant

I am going to try and toggle those settings one at a time when I get home. I never had any issues with my old Apple Airport. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 28 of 34
ufgators2k
Aspirant

Neither MU-MIMO or implicit beamforming are enabled. I am running 2.0.0.74.
Message 29 of 34
Mikey94025
Hero

@ufgators2k wrote:
Neither MU-MIMO or implicit beamforming are enabled. I am running 2.0.0.74.

They are both enabled for me and that is the latest firmware.  It may not make a difference, but try toggling them on (just to see if it improves things for you).  You might also try changing the 2.4Ghz channel to a different one of [1, 6, 11].  Again, none of these should cause you issues but we're searching for something in your environment that's causing the disconnects.

Message 30 of 34
ufgators2k
Aspirant

When I enabled both of them my throughput went down to ~67Mbps. I turned them both back off. I am still having it go offline so maybe I need to move the Orbi closer? I tested the throughput with my phone right next to the camera and it was close to 200Mbps. I would think that is sufficient.

Message 31 of 34
Mikey94025
Hero

Enabling these features should not affect your throughput significantly.  Others report better throughput with the features enabled.  Immediately after changing the settings your Orbi rebooted and then your phone/device may have connected via 2.4Ghz vs. 5Ghz.  Give it a chance to run for a while with the settings changed, just to see if it alters your disconnects.  You can always change them back in a day or two.  I'm guessing, but your disconnects are caused by something else in your environment and not due to throughput.

Message 32 of 34
AlbertoS
Aspirant

My Nest Cam IQ Outdoor would not connect after replacing my router with the Orbi. I tried Nest suggestions of enabling IPV6 and a few others. I eventually got it to work by temporarily disabling the 5G SSID under Advanced Setup / Wireless Settings. The Nest Cam was finally able to connect to the network during setup using 2.4G. After the setup was complete, I turned 5G back on. I vaguely remember going through the same hassel with my previous router which was also from Netgear. But in my old router my 2.4G and 5G networks had different SSIDs. Orbi now is configured to use the same SSID for both. Hopefully this doesn't present a problem in the future.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 33 of 34
davida425
Guide

How did you turn the 5G off?
Message 34 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7