Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and Netflix

johnh53
Aspirant

Orbi and Netflix

My Orbi system has been working fine to stream Netflix programmes on my SmartTV until a few days ago, when I started receiving a message saying that Netflix have detected that I am using an "unblocker" (VPN) or a "proxy" and to please turn them off to continue to download.

Puzzled, I went to Netflix support, who were very unhelpful and said that I should check with my ISP. This I did, and they confirmed that there was no VPN, unblocker or proxy on my system. I went back to Netflix to tell them this - again they were rather unhelpful and said they had referred the matter to their technical department who would get back to me (they haven't - this was a week ago!).

I then tried playing Netflix programmes on my desktop computer - but just got the same message. Then I connected my computer direct to my ISP's router rather than going through Orbi - result, no problems streaming Netflix on my computer! But I can't connect my Smart TV direct to my ISP's router as it is too far away, which is precisely the reason I bought an Orbi System.

Has anyone had the same problem? Are there any settings I can change on the Orbi system to solve this problem? (By the way, other streaming services such as Amazon Prime and BBCiPlayer are not affected and work fine with Orbi).

I then

Model: RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem? Built in router by chance? if so, then this either needs to be bridged fully and let the Orbi router be the main router, or if the modem can't be bridged, use the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the Modem. You maybe in a double NAT condition. 

Message 2 of 15
johnh53
Aspirant

Thanks for the response, but I'm afraid I'm an elderly techo-virgin and don't really understand your reply, and wouldn't know how to carry out the changes you suggest.  I'm in UK , my ISP is SKY and the modem they supply is their standard one.

Any chance of an idiot's guide to sorting out this problem?!!

Message 3 of 15
tsig
Luminary

If you were able to plug directly into your ISP's modem, then it is still acting as a router, correct?  If so, your Orbi needs to be set up as an access point only, not a router.  Check the instructions for putting it in AP mode.

Message 4 of 15
johnh53
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion. I've actually managed to surprise myself and change the Orbi router to AP Mode. This hasn't solved the problem however - I still cannot stream anything from Netflix on my Smart TV (I can on my desktop computer which is situated right next to the modem and Orbi router - but the Smart TV is in a separate room, hence the need for the Orbi system). The message from Netflix says that they have "detected" that I am using a unblocker (I'm not) or a proxy (I'm not). I get the feeling that whatever Netflix are using to do their detecting is a bit over sensitive and finding issues where there aren't any - after all, it all worked like a dream until a few days ago. And the Netflix helpline is particularly unhelpful. Looks like they will be losing a customer.

Message 5 of 15
tsig
Luminary

Maybe try to forget the network on your TV and rejoin? 

Message 6 of 15
johnh53
Aspirant

No, I need Netflix on my TV - I can't gather the family around the desktop to watch a film for two hours!

Message 7 of 15
tsig
Luminary

what I mean is go to your tv and forget is current network connection then rejoin your network. 

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Reason for asking for modem Manufacturer and model# is to help us identify if your modem has a built in router or not. Having a modem/router combo can cause problems with external connected routers like the Orbi router. 

Looks like you got the Orbi system set up so you may have a modem router combo. 

@johnh53wrote:

Thanks for the response, but I'm afraid I'm an elderly techo-virgin and don't really understand your reply, and wouldn't know how to carry out the changes you suggest.  I'm in UK , my ISP is SKY and the modem they supply is their standard one.

Any chance of an idiot's guide to sorting out this problem?!!

Message 9 of 15
johnh53
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried that; Netflix still not working! Getting cross, now!

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Try resetting the TV and the Netflix application on the TV. Set up the TV with a new connection with the wifi and test again.

Do other devices stream Netflix, like from a PC? 

@johnh53wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried that; Netflix still not working! Getting cross, now!

Message 11 of 15
johnh53
Aspirant

My PC will stream Netflix if I connect it direct to my ISP’s modem/router. But if I connect my PC through my Orbi system it doesn’t work, I.e. I still get the “unblocker/proxy” message.

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem?

If your getting netflix at the modem/router and not the Orbi then there is a problem between these units. 

I would use the modem/routers DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the Modem/router.

One suggestion would be to have the ISP fully bridge the ISP Modem and let the Orbi router be your main router. 

@johnh53wrote:

My PC will stream Netflix if I connect it direct to my ISP’s modem/router. But if I connect my PC through my Orbi system it doesn’t work, I.e. I still get the “unblocker/proxy” message.

Message 13 of 15
johnh53
Aspirant

Hi Furrye38,

Thanks for the suggestion - I do appreciate it.

The problem is that I am a techno- idiot, and haven't got the faintest idea how to "use the modem/routers DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the Modem/router", or "to have the ISP fully bridge the ISP Modem and let the Orbi router be your main router". I would need to be guided through it in some detail.

I'm going to have another go at Netflix - their detecting system must be at fault if a simple Orbi wi-fi extender makes them think I'm using a VPN, and unblocker or a proxy (whatever they are!). AND they have refused to refund me for the days of membership I have paid for where I haven't been able to stream their programmes.

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact your ISP and have them help you and walk you thru getting the Orbi routers IP address into the modems DMZ. They will know how to work with there modem. All they have to do is get the IP address that the Orbi gets and input that into the modems DMZ. Ask them to help you set up a IP address reservation as well for the Orbi router ON the modem.

@johnh53wrote:

Hi Furrye38,

Thanks for the suggestion - I do appreciate it.

The problem is that I am a techno- idiot, and haven't got the faintest idea how to "use the modem/routers DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the Modem/router", or "to have the ISP fully bridge the ISP Modem and let the Orbi router be your main router". I would need to be guided through it in some detail.

I'm going to have another go at Netflix - their detecting system must be at fault if a simple Orbi wi-fi extender makes them think I'm using a VPN, and unblocker or a proxy (whatever they are!). AND they have refused to refund me for the days of membership I have paid for where I haven't been able to stream their programmes.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7