Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and Netgear EX6200 / EX6100 range extenders connected to security camers

phydauxs
Tutor

Orbi and Netgear EX6200 / EX6100 range extenders connected to security camers

I have just purchased the Orbi system.  Prior to the Orbi I had two Netgear EX6200s and one EX6100 range extender. One EX6200 and the EX6100 have security cameras connected to them (Logitech alert) and worked perfectly connecting to the other EX6200 which was connected wirelessly to my router so I could view the camera feed on my computer. I have replaced one EX6200 with the Orbi satellite. I have reset the one remaining EX6200 and the EX6100 and connected them to the Orbi satellite. Logic tells me that the cameras should work as before but they dont. I get no video feed as before.  Has anyone got any suggestions on what the problem might be?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 15
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi and Netgear EX6200 / EX6100 range extenders connected to security camers

Hello Phydauxs

Are the cameras still on the extender or they connected to the orbi network? Did you reserve the IP address of the cameras on orbi?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 15
phydauxs
Tutor

Thanks for the reply Darren. Firstly, cameras are connected to EX6200 Extender. I havent reserved IP address for anything (not sure how to do it if it needs to be done). Just an update since last week. I have managed to get the feed from the cameras on devices that are connected wirelessly to the Orbi ie my phone and Surface pro. What I havent been able to do is get the feed on my desktop computer that is connected to modem via ethernet (Orbi is connected to modem via cable). The modem includes a wireless router and I have turned the wireless off so that it doesnt conflict with the Orbi. The modem seems to be sending the signal to the orbi but not the other way around as I  have two other cameras connected to modem via POE and they are appearing on wireless devices via Orbi. I imagine that its just a setting on the modem or Orbi that needs to be enabled or disabled but have no idea  what that might be. Any further thoughts?

Message 3 of 15
st_shaw
Master

@phydauxsBased on your description, you have two devices acting as routers: your modem and the Orbi.  This would explain why your desktop (connected to modem) cannot see anything connectied to Orbi. If Orbi is in rotuer mode, it will treat anything connected to your modem as being on the Internet and the firewall will block access to devices on the Orbi WiFI.

You should set Orbi into Access Point mode, then all devices behind your modem will be visible to each other. (Or you could bridge your modem, but this might be more complicated.)

Message 4 of 15
phydauxs
Tutor

Thanks. I thought by turning the wireless off on modem I was turning the router part of modem off leaving just the Orbi? I'm willing to try your suggestion but dont know how to change Orbi to Access Point? If I do change from router to AP wont it imapct the Orbi Satellite and my ability to connect over wifi? Wouldnt it be better to turn router off on modem?

Message 5 of 15
st_shaw
Master

To enable access point mode, see page 83 of the user manual. This will not impact your satellites nor your ability to connect via WiFi.  It will result in your devices obtaining new IP addresses, which will be provided by your modem instead of Orbi.  You might need to power-cycle all your devices to make sure all have current IP addresses. Manual is here:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf

You could turn off your modem's router function.  Normally this is called "bridge mode" or "transparent bridging." Whether you can do this, and how it's done, depends on your Internet service provider and the modem make and model you have. If you do this, you will need to move any devices you have connected to the modem over to the Orbi.

Message 6 of 15
phydauxs
Tutor

Thanks again. Followed the instructions on P.83 and changed to AP mode. Powercycled everything. End result is no change on desktop but have now lost all wireless cameras on wireless devices. I noticed under 'attached devices' I now have 16 where as before I had 8. Most have no device names, some wired and some wireless. So unless i have done something wrong or there is another setting the AP mode has made things worse. Any other suggestions?

Message 7 of 15
st_shaw
Master

I'm running my Orbi in AP mode behind a Mikrotik router, and I've have had it operating behind two other routers with no problems.  Double check to be sure the Orib router is wired as shown in the diagram in the manual.  The yellow Internet port on Orbi "router" needs to connect to one of the LAN ports on your existing modem/router.

By switching to AP mode you have eliminated one confguration problem you had--two routers. You might have other issues still remaining.

You will very likely have issues trying to use range extenders with Orbi. Unless you can set Orbi and the range extenders to use non-overlapping WiFi channels, you will likely experience dropouts and slow speed issues from WiFI interference.  Orbi is not intended to be used with range extenders (as it's a range extender itself).  It would be far better to remove the extenders and use Orbi only. You should use an additional satellite if you need to extend the range further.

The oher potential issue is you said you had cameras wired via POE that also appeared as wireless.  You might need to log into the camera and disable the WiFi radios on the cameras.  You don't want the cameras to connect va WiFi if they are connected via wire.

Message 8 of 15
phydauxs
Tutor

Orbi is connected to modem via cable. The range extenders that are connected to Orbi and the devices connected to wireless network are working very well and much better than before the Orbi. No drop outs or interference issues. The only issue was I couldnt see the wireless cameras on my ethernet connected desktop. I was thinking of connecting the desktop via wifi rather than etherent but the desktop doesnt have wifi. The POE cameras have no wireless capability and the other cameras have been made wireless by connecting to the range extenders. I dont think repalcing the range extenders with another Orbi satelitte will make any difference as I tried connecting camera directly into Orbi and I  have the same problem. Any other ideas?

Message 9 of 15
st_shaw
Master

If Orbi is operatig in AP mode and correctly connected, then you can connect your desktop by wire to:

1) Your modem/router (to which your Orbi "router" is wired)

2) Your Orbi "router"

3) Any Orbi satellite

Any of these three will work in a properly configured system, and will allow connections to any wired or wireless device. Options 1) and 2) will give full gigabit speed (assuming your modem/router is gigabit.

If you have connectivity issues, I'd start by checking the devices with issues and ensure they all have IP addresses in the same subnet.

Message 10 of 15
phydauxs
Tutor

OK. I plugged the ethernet cable that runs to desktop computer (that was connected to the modem) into the back of the Orbi. I now get all cameras on all devices......however now experiencing the dropout that you referred to earlier and which I wasnt getting before changing the cable.  Can you please explain  'ensure they all have IP addresses in the same subnet'? Thanks.

Message 11 of 15
st_shaw
Master

@phydauxs wrote:

Can you please explain  'ensure they all have IP addresses in the same subnet'? Thanks.

It doesn't sound like you have an issue with IP addresses, but here is what I meant...

Your old router/modem should be handing out IP addresses to your devices using DHCP.  Each Orbi unit and all your devices should get addresses on the same subnet (e.g. 192.168.1.x or 10.0.0.x). If things are configured properly all your devices will have IP addresses with the same first three numbers.

You should be able to log into your modem/router, and see what subnet it is using under LAN settings or DHCP server, or similar.  Then you want to check to ensure all your devices are receiving IP addresses in the same subnet.  You can usually log into devices to check their address.  Run the command "ipconfig" on Windows, "ifconfig" on Linux and MacOS. The IP addresses should also be shown in a list of DHCP leases or attached devices somewhere in the modem/router GUI.  The list of attached devices in Orbi will also list IP addresses. (But Orbi does not assign the IPs in access point mode.)

Message 12 of 15
phydauxs
Tutor

I changed back to 'router' from 'AP' which was the only way to get all the camera feeds. I used the orbilogin to check the Ip addresses and subnet which are all 192.168.... so no problem there. To try and isolate the dropping out I disconnected all cameras and then added each one by one. It seems only one of them is causing the dropping out problem. It is the only camera connected to the EX6100. With that off the remaining cameras seem to providing consistent feeds. Any idea why one would be causing problems?

Message 13 of 15
st_shaw
Master

I'm not familiar with your EX6200/6100, but in general range extenders work by capturing and repeating the wireless signal of your main WiFi access point.  This doubles the utilization of the RF airtime and reduces your throughput by half. This is a very serious drawback.

While Orbi is an extender of sorts, it's unique value is the fact it does not suffer this drawback, because it uses a dedicated hidden 5 GHz backhaul radio to extend the WiFi signal.

The drawback(s) of Orbi are it uses a lot of channels, and provides almost no abiity to change settings to coexist with other WiFi access points.

You might be able to get things "working" if you move your extender as far away from Orbi as possible, turn the power way down on the extender, and disable any unused bands.

However, as I wrote earlier, you should remove the extenders to get the best performance from Orbi. The two systems are not technically compatible, in that the extender will always impact the Orbi.

Message 14 of 15
phydauxs
Tutor

Ok. I have replaced the EX6100 with the Orbi satellite which is not what I wanted to do as it is now outside although undercover. It has solved the issue thus far. Ideally I would also replace the EX6200 with another Orbi satellite but funds dont allow for that at the moment. The Ex6200 is perfoming well connecting to Orbi so I'm not sure that your concerns are entirely valid but that is not to say it would be even better with an Orbi satellite.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7