Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and New Nest Hello

rh00
Tutor

Orbi and New Nest Hello

Just replaced Ring Pro doorbell with Nest Hello doorbell. Then found out it's not compatible with most of the Orbi products! Why won't Orbi work with Nest and is there an immediate fix coming our way or do I toss out the Orbi system??? Thanks!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 13
JustMakeItWork
Apprentice

For all the bad things I have to say about the Orbi, I can definitely say that I have 5 Nest cameras attached to it with no issues whatsoever. I have 3 exterior Nest Outdoors and 2 Internal NestCameras. Everything seems to be running smoothly and happily (outside of the Orbi itself crashing on a daily/weekly basis and generally crapping the bed after each firmware update).

Message 2 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You will need to contact the NEST Mfr to see if they are aware of some of there products not working with the Orbi system. Its there job to update and develop there products and test and find issues and if there is a collaboration, then they and NG can work together to fix issues. 

I have 2 NEST controllers and they work find with my system.

Try disabling Beamforming, MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming and test with your devices. 

Contact the MFr of the device and ask for additional help and info. 

Message 3 of 13
rh00
Tutor

Thanks for your suggestions. Apparenly the new Nest Hello and several of the Nest Cameras so not work well with mesh wifi systems and Orbi is one of them. I've talked to very senior tech support at Nest and they seem to be looking to Netgear for a fix. I hope they colloborate and get this fixed for the long haul. 

The suggested fix does not repair the issue with Nest Hello but may with some fo the other products. Thanks again!

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

At least it's known to them and I'm sure they will work with NG to get it fixed. 

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 13
JustMakeItWork
Apprentice

The Orbi isn't a 'true' mesh networking system so it shouldn't be exhibiting the typical issues that you'd find with say a Velop or similar. That it works fine with a Google Wifi, which is a 'true' mesh networking system is interesting too. That said, I'm receiving a Hello on Friday and will post here if it works fine or what steps I took to get it to behave.

Message 6 of 13
rh00
Tutor

Thanks for your input. Just to be clear, Nest senior Support folks said the Hello will NOT work with the Google Home WiFi because it is a mesh network setup. Good luck with the new Hello, when it worked for a few minutes, the video was cystal clear and the audio the same!

Message 7 of 13
tesserab
Aspirant

I found that Nest Hello will connect to ORBI base unit but not satellite.
Message 8 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Is this another case of the 2.4/5G confusion, where the Nest will not connect to 5G?

Message 9 of 13
Eric90i
Star

I have and the best hello working with the Orbi system. Connected just fine (from what I can tell) system is RBR50 and RBS50. Firmware 2.1.2.18. MIMO off and beamforming off.

Factory reset the hello and give it another try with those two settings off. I had to power cycle the satellite and do a factory reset of the hello during my install due to some initial setup issues because the breaker I had off for installation killed power to the RBR50.

It’s been about a week now working fine
Message 10 of 13
gtpinoy
Aspirant

Had no issues with any Nest Products, including the Nest Hello, prior to updating Firmware to V2.1.4.16. Nest Hello is now having issues. Attempting to downgrade to Firmware V2.1.2.18 to see if it helps. I wish I noted what my previous Firmware was prior to updating.

Message 11 of 13
gtpinoy
Aspirant

Downgraded to V2.1.2.18. Factory Reset Nest Hello and now Nest Hello can't even establish a Wi-Fi Connection. 

Message 12 of 13
gtpinoy
Aspirant

Setup a totally separate WIFI using previous Apple Extreme Router. Reset Nest Hello (by turning off the breaker). Established a WiFi connection to the Apple Exterme Router. Placed on that WiFi connection for about 12 hours. Went back to the Netgear Orbi WiFi and has been working for about 30 hours with no issues. Running 2.1.2.18 Firmware on both Orbi Router and Orbi Satellite. Not sure what exactly resolved the issue.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7