Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and Nighthawk

StanHawk
Aspirant

Orbi and Nighthawk

Is there a way to hang an Orbi system on an existing Nighthawk1900 to get the benefits of both?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Yes, you can.  Technically, the guest network will share the same Wi-Fi channel as the main, secured network but the Nighthawk will keep the guest traffic isolated.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Yes, you can run the Orbi in AP Mode.

Message 2 of 10
StanHawk
Aspirant

Can I continue to use the guest network feature of the nighthawk as a separate wifi channel and use the main secured nighthawk network and the orbi using the same SSID, for example "xnet", for both wired and wireless?

Message 3 of 10
TheEther
Guru

Yes, you can.  Technically, the guest network will share the same Wi-Fi channel as the main, secured network but the Nighthawk will keep the guest traffic isolated.

Message 4 of 10

@StanHawk wrote:

Can I continue to use the guest network feature of the nighthawk as a separate wifi channel and use the main secured nighthawk network and the orbi using the same SSID, for example "xnet", for both wired and wireless?

hi stan

i wouldnt do this is the orbi router and nighthawk live in or near each other as you might find they over saturate each other

if you going to run the orbi router near the nighthawk  use different ssid names and channels for both the 2.4 gig and 5 gig as this will avoid wifi confusion

to be honest if you i wouldnt sit the orbi router  and nighthawk close at all if you intend to use both as wifi transmissions and i wouldnt use the same ssid names as this will just confuse the workings of the orbi and how it handles the clients

as suggested i would just switch off the wifi in the nighthawk and use it as a router only and use the orbi in ap mode as wireless only

Message 5 of 10
StanHawk
Aspirant

Thanks for the help.  I assume the Orbi will get a guest network upgrade at some point.  I can place the main unit in a separate room where I have a Cat5 outlet wired directly to the Nighthawk and then put the satellite in the basement-based man cave where I can use it to hard wire into my PlayStation and Smart tv. 

Message 6 of 10
TheEther
Guru

It's almost a certainty that the guest network functionality will not work in AP mode.  What you could do is have the Nighthawk and Orbi swap roles.  That is, set up the Nighthawk as an AP and have the Orbi function as the main router.  You will, of course, lose the extra functionality in the Nighthawk, but if you aren't using them, then there is no loss.

Message 7 of 10
StanHawk
Aspirant

Okay, here is my current idea:  Nighthawk is on top floor in my office adjacent to the cable modem and main computer, printer, scanner, etc.  Orbi main unit is one floor down, hardwired into the Nighthawk with Cat5 I already have run through the wall.  Orbi satellite another floor down (Mancave) where there is no wiring.  I run two networks from the Nighthawk. The main one, called "xnet" is secured and has a non-published SSID.  It is the same network I run from the Orbi in AP mode.  I use this network for all of my home needs, both wired and wireless.  The second network I run from the Nighthawk is a wireless "guestnet" in guest mode, with a published SSID and unsecured, for the sole purpose of allowing guests to have internet access.

Would this work to strengthen and extend xnet's coverage and allow intelligent handoffs as I move my mobile advices around and still let guests check their email without giving them access to my secured network?

Message 8 of 10
TheEther
Guru

Yes, that will work.

Message 9 of 10

hi stan

just a few points

"one, called "xnet" is secured and has a non-published SSID"

if your talking about hiding ssid then thats never a great thing to do as the ssid is never really hidden and its not a security measure at all

if you google

The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN

you will find out why

--------------------

" It is the same network I run from the Orbi in AP mode"

if your talking about running the same ssid one hidden and one not then you are going to cause major isses

------------------------

running the nighthawk you cant just run guest wifi without the main wifi enabled

if your talking about using the main wifi on the nighthawk as actual guest wifi you would need to figure out some way to isolate that wifi from the rest of your network or they would be seeing your shares and may also gain access to admin

pete

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7