Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and ONT Adtran - Internet only - Connection issues

Kilbane
Follower

Orbi and ONT Adtran - Internet only - Connection issues

My setup-

Adtran 411 ONT through Metronet

Ethernet connected to 

Orbi RBR50

Orbi wifi and ethernet connections to my main PC and other devices.

This is how the Metronet tech set this up.

This is internet only, no tv, no phone, no modem....just the ONT and my Orbi and my satellite.

I had comcast 150 service with no issues other than service outages. I had great coverage through my home.

I now have Metronet 1 Gbps service. The service has been flaky since the install a few days ago. (Speeds up and down and loss of connection)

Everthing seems to be fine and then the service drops. It dropped last night while playing an online game on my main PC connected via ethernet from the Orbi. The ONT has been reset twice and Orbi's restarted. All indications on the ONT look good concerning connections (green lights) and no outages in the area. I started doing some research and see that the Orbi and ONT's might need some changes in configuration.

I noticed some articles saying that the Orbi needed to be in AP mode. I tried that and lost all connections. wired and wifi. This might have been a blessing because I had to reset the Orbi and setup as a new device. (In router mode and auto setup)

Maybe a new setup and fresh start was needed?

All seems to be fine for now, but I am not feeling safe and I think problems could arise again.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have 1Gb service, then yes, a factory erase on the router maybe needed. Also do not enable the QoS speed test app, Traffic Meter or Access controls on the router. These are known to slow down speeds when on a 1Gb ISP service. 

Message 2 of 3
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

Some people on here will tell you any time you have any problem at all, to factory reset the Orbi over and over until it works for you.  You can try that if you really want to, but that's unlikely to resolve core issues if you have them.

My Orbi is connected directly to an ONT (1Gb symetric Fiber) and Orbi didn't require any 'special' setup.  My ISP provides a DHCP address to the Orbi and the Orbi is in Router mode.  You don't want it in AP mode unless you have another router that is acting as the gateway.

I would check your ISP's requirements and make sure you understand them, and that the Orbi can meet them and is set correctly.  Some ISP's require a login, or other things of that nature, that can affect configuration.  Also, in most cases, if you want to supply your own router (i.e. Orbi) instead of using the one that the ISP provides (that they charge for, often with a monthly fee) they will likely not support the Orbi directly, since they can't log into it and do their own tests with the connection.

If you see all green lights on your ONT that's good news, but it doesn't mean it's totally stable 100% of the time.  When mine was installed eariler this year, I *did* use the ISP-provided gateway/router until I knew the fiber/ONT was stable.  Then I switched to the Orbi and sent the ISP one back, so I didn't have to pay $10 per month for it.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7