Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and Ring products issues

Kaput5
Star

Orbi and Ring products issues

I recently switched from one router + repeater to the Orbi system. No installation problem.

When I first connected my Ring Doorbell and 2 Ring Spotlight cameras, no connection issues. One camera connected to the Router, while the Doorbell and the other camera connected to one satellite each. Motion was detected and reported. Live View worked. All was well.

Then I started to notice problems with Live View. If there was no motion detected for a while, then Live View would show a black screen (or could not connect). Motion would restore the Live View for 15-30 minutes. I checked the connected devices, and the Dorrbell and camera connected to the satellites would not show in the list. After motion they would show. The camera connected to the router would always be in the list and show Live View with no issue.

Testing further, I turned off the 2 satellites and brought one camera back on the house to be close enough to get a signal. Now all are connected to the Router and I have no Live View issue anymore.

Therefore it seems there is a problem when Ring products connect to a satellite. I tried all suggestions mentioned on this forum, no luck.

Anybody noticed the same issue? Any solution?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 203
Roamabout
Luminary

I have a Ring doorbell pro and with some aprehension after a few days reading the posts on this forum I went ahead and ordred an Orbi system with 2 sattelites from Costo. It will arrive on Tuesday.

Looking at the Ring facebook group there is the usual problem that half of the people with Ring and Orbi are having no issues while the other half have various problems including getting motion alerts but no live view. Some people are told to get a Ring chime pro and connect the doorbell to it instead of the Orbi.

Other sugggestion are the usual firmware, reboot etc. If you dont make any progress here it my be worth joining the Ring FB group. I may be back on Tuesday if I have a similar problem but I plan to maintain a working AP in parallel to testing the Orbi so I will have a plan B.

Message 2 of 203
Kaput5
Star

I think that the people who do not have problems are the ones where the Ring devices connect to the Router. It would be good to know from the Orbi owners if the problems are the ones with Ring connecting to a satellite.

Reboot, etc, nothing. In fact, by just turning off my satellites, the Ring doorbell and camera connected to the router and started to work with no action on the Ring (I had to move them in as some were too far).

Well, using a Chime Pro is not really an option. In normal setup I have Ring Doorbell + 1 Camera on Satellite 1, 1 Camera on satellite 2 and 1 Camera on the router. So as you can see, it's not an option to get them all connected to 1 AP. On top of that it would 100% defeat the purpose of me buying the Orbi to replace my original router + repeater and have a cleaner network environment... Adding an AP is a band-aid, not a solution to fix the problem.

Either it's an Orbi or a Ring problem, and I do not see why I should add more AP, or jump through hoops to resolve a problem that is a manufacturer responsibility. At the end neither will probably care and just be satisfied with the 50% who are happy.

Message 3 of 203
Roamabout
Luminary

One suggestion that I recall is to see if the doorbell is trying to connect to the sattelite on the 5ghz channel. The speculation was that the 5ghz frequency did not go as far through obstacles as the 2.4ghz frequency and might have more issues.

Message 4 of 203
Kaput5
Star

It's connecting to the 2.4 GHz band. Ring products are only on the 2,4 GHz band (excepted the Doorbell Pro), and will not recognize a 5 GHz band.

Ring will also work on band 1-11 only, which is what is in the US, not a problem there either.

Message 5 of 203
Roamabout
Luminary

Have you determined if it is connectivity or protocol issue ?. For example when live view does not work can you still ping the doorbell ?. Does the behavior change if the client device is connected to a sattelite vs the router etc.

Message 6 of 203
Kaput5
Star

Connectivity is the issue. As mentioned earlier, the problem is when the Ring products connect to a satellite. Connected to the Router works as it should (99% of the time).

When connected to a satellite, if I have activity on the doorbell or camera, then I can have Live View for some time, then it will not be available. It seems the Orbi has an issue to connect to the Ring when it has to go through a Satellite and it is not seen as an Attached Device. Not sure where the problem is; that would have to be debugged by Ring using an Orbi config.

Message 7 of 203
rmadilao
Guide

I have the folllowing Ring products myself:

1 video doorbell pro

4 floodlight cams

1 spotlight cam w/solar panel and 2 full batteries installed (new).

For me, the issue was with the new spotlight cam.  Somehow the Live View behavior of it was erratic.  Considering I have 5 other Ring cameras, I have a pretty good frame of reference to compare against.  My floodlight cams and doorbell pro connect to satellites without any problems.  In fact, I've setup my satellites within close proximity to them so my Live View can come up within 2-3 seconds.  Now for SpotLight cam I just recently purchased, the Live View was working randomly and it is connected directly to my router.  I had to constantly try different 2.4ghz channels to toggle it to work, but that got annoying really fast and it wasn't any specific channel required to make it work, it was just the updating of the channel which would poke it to work.   I did the inevitable and added a Ring Chime Pro between the Spotlight cam and the router, eventhough my signal strength was full and my RSSI was good.   My floodlight cam is actually further away than the Spotlight cam from my router node and it works solid with very fast LiveView operation.   So the only thing that got it to work consistently for me was the Ring Chime Pro for the Spotlight cam only.

Seems like 

Model: SRS60| Orbi Pro Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 8 of 203
DavidShawP
Star

I have a Ringo Doorbell Pro and a Ring Floodlight.  When i got the Orbi, neither of them could see it.  It turned out that when Orbi auto-picked a channel, it was not in the 1-11 range.  

Once I changed it to a static 2.4 Ghz channel it's worked fine.

FYI, both of my Ring devices are connected to a Satellite.

Message 9 of 203
Voge1973
Tutor

I have 2 Ring Stick Up Cams and a Ring Doorbell 1 - I have experienced the same issue with an odd exception. My stick up cam connected to the satellite never falls off the Orbi connected devices list - my stick up cam and doorbell connected to the main router - tend to go “dormant” and drop off frequently from the connected list - once the doorbell is rung, motion is detected or the router is rebooted they come back to life almost as if they were in a stand by mode. I have spent hours on the phone with Ring and tried an bunch of stuff to remedy this - they even sent me a Ring Chime Pro to see if this would help as it connects to the router and the devices connect to it - thusbrepetaer degraded my signal all devices were getting a stringer signal straight from the Orbi. My signal strength on the devices health section are amazing and when they are connected system wors flawlessly - but these camera going to sleep defeats the “Live” function when you are away from home. I’ve used the Netgear App to Reboot the router remotely just to get Live view to work. Sorry I couldn’t help but you are not alone:
Message 10 of 203
wildsubnet
Apprentice

For me the solution was to force the Ring Doorbell to have a static/same IP via the router's DHCP settings. After I did that "live view" became much more responsive and the device didn't drop off the attached devices list.

All I can figure is the doorbell's power saving mode is so aggressive that it causes problems with DHCP renew/release. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 11 of 203
Kaput5
Star

All my devices have assigned IP addresses (through the DHCP server on the router).

Yes, I have been thinking that the device stops to connect, then the router is unable to find it. However it seems it happens only on devices linked to a satellite. When I made my test with all devices connected to the router (they were not at the final location), then Live View was working fine.

I have been trying to find where to increase the TTL, but cannot find it on the router.

Message 12 of 203
wildsubnet
Apprentice

Make sure the doorbell has a permanent IP address. Not just a random one. This is done via Advanced->LAN Setup->Address Reservation

You’ll need the doorbell MAC address (available through the app). Reboot the router to force the static IP to the doorbell.

I am also seeing connection through sat orbi and this resolved the problem for me.
Message 13 of 203
Kaput5
Star

All my devices have a fixed IP, organized per type, and that does not help.

Weirdly latelty, the camera on the satellite is OK, but the one on the router is not: no Live, lag of 10 seconds after event, video starts also 10 seconds after detecting movement. I think that a soft reset may help.

Anyway, I must say that it is not working very well all together, I switch from a router + repeater to make my life easier, but at least in my previous config my doorbell was 100% perfect (not anymore). I did not have cameras (I bought the Orbi to get them closer to a network point), so I am not sure.

I think I am going to add my repeater, link it to the router, and put a camera on it, to see if I get a difference. But that would defeat the purpose of the mesh netwrok.

So far not happy.

Message 14 of 203
wildsubnet
Apprentice

One other thing I found that I tried was disabling SIP ALG. There’s another thread on here about how ring uses SIP for video
Message 15 of 203
Kaput5
Star

OK, I tried to disable it, no real change. Then I restarted the Orbi, but I was still getting choppy/delayed videos.

However between the hours of 4:45p CT and 6:00p CT on Sunday Feb 18, with me doing nothing, major improvement. My last video on motion detection at 4:45 was choppy, several live segments of a few seconds, while the audio was rolling fine. Then in all my recordinga after that (and I had a lot of motion on my back yard), only 1 in about 50 had an issue. No idea what happened, but it is now behaving as it should.

The Live View is still hit or miss, will have to see with Ring why. I will continue to monitor and see what happens adding another camera... I am afraid it will revert to bad behavior.

Message 16 of 203
wildsubnet
Apprentice

It’s been good for me since the changes, but, I’ve had quite a few power outages due to a windstorm. I don’t think the Orbi ever went down but the satellite did and that’s what the ring connects to so quite possible it “reset” it’s connection each time. 

Message 17 of 203
rmadilao
Guide

I've actually managed to get all the cameras to work now without any Ring Chime Pros.  Make sure you don't have too many overlapping Orbi nodes (as they cause a lot of interference).  I had to disable implicit beamforming and MU-MIMO to make it more reliable.  All 6 of my Ring cams do Live View reliably now, but i've got other issues like Dropped frames in recordings and bad sound, but I don't believe those have anything to do with the Orbi, but more on the Ring server side of things.

Model: SRS60| Orbi Pro Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 18 of 203
Vandergraff
Apprentice

My issue is a little different.

My Ring2 Doorbell normally connects to the satellite - and when it does works fine.

However occasionally it connects to the router (even though satellite signal is much stronger).

In this case it reports poor WiFi signal and of course performance is responsiveness and performance is poor.

All my other (30+) devices seem to have no problem connecting to the Orbi (Router or Satellite) with strongest signal.

Message 19 of 203
wildsubnet
Apprentice

I had the same issue after a power outage (the main router is on a UPS but the satellite is not). It would be nice if there was a way through the GUI to kick off a device. What I ended up doing was renaming 2.4G radio through the CLI and putting it back after all the devices fell off. But that’s a pain. Not sure there is any real fix to that other than a device should pick the strongest signal...and honestly that’s on Ring.

Message 20 of 203
Voge1973
Tutor

Still having my original issue..
Ring Doorbell and Stick Up Cam connected to the main router with really good signal They drop off the network sporadically as if they go dormant or in a standby mode - stick cam on connected to the satellite no problems at all... only way to get them to wake up is motion detection, doorbell ring or rebooting the router.
Message 21 of 203
rawbutt
Star

I just wanted to join the conversation and say that I've been battling this exact issue for a couple months now.  It's been nice reading this thread and at least realizing I'm not the only one.  I was excited at the prospect of using my Orbi in conjunction with my Ring cams and my 600/600 fiber connection at home. I figured it would be a match made in heaven!  Then I started noticing the fairly frequent issues trying to get to Live View.  The only things I've tried so far are to disable the Beamforming and MU-MIMO options in the advanced settings (didn't help my issue) and have most recently hooked up the 4 Ring Chime Pro's that Ring sent me for each of my cams.  That is apparently their best workaround to date.  For me, it still hasn't solved my issue and has slowed down my connection a bit as expected.  I thought it might be a little better in the beginning with the Live View issue, but I still find myself constantly having to try over and over until it finally works.  I hope that we eventually find a good solution to this issue.  Even if it had worked, I wasn't wild about having 4 Chime Pros in the mix just to get around something that shouldn't be happening in the first place.

Thanks!

Message 22 of 203
Kaput5
Star

It has been going downward in the last week. Gap of 8-10 seconds between movement and alert on my phone (usually it's 1 second). Video frozen, but sound recording, meaning sound and video are not synchronized. Video chopping, video late in recording, meaning the person at my door is gone when it starts to record, etc...

Even this morning the doorbell was rung, but I never got an alert and it was never recorded as an event, only the motion was.

I ordered a Linksys Velop and I am going to try it to see if it makes a difference.

Message 23 of 203
rmadilao
Guide

@rawbutt    They sent you 4 ring chime PROS?    Are you sure all 4 of them are PROS and not just regular ring chimes?     It doesn't make sense to have more than 1.  I've tried with 2 and your Ring devices just get confused.  The reason being, a Ring Chime Pro is just a range extender dedicated to Ring devices with a fixed SSID that only Ring devices can see, and you can't change that SSID either.  You can tell it doens't work properly because in your app, your second (or 3rd or 4th, in your case), would show an identical list of Ring devices.  At least for me, removing any Ring Chime Pros has worked the best so far.       Now, if you are just using Ring Chimes and not the Pros (or extenders), those you can have as many as you want.

Message 24 of 203
rawbutt
Star

@rmadilao   Yep, they sent me 4 Pros, not just chimes.  As you mentioned, I see all 4 of my Ring cams listed under Linked Devices for all 4 of the Chime Pros, which I thought was odd.  I even discussed it at length with a Ring tech support rep who said he was familiar with this issue.  He explained that each Pro had its own SSID and separate network and that I should just plug them up one by one and then go through the setup allowing each cam to connect to its corresponding Chime Pro.  He said the cams would not roam around from Chime to Chime looking for a stronger signal, etc.  They would stay on whichever they joined during setup.  But I'm with you... I thought that seemed odd and didn't seem right that I'd be seeing all of my cams on all of the Chime Pros.  And when I look at each cam, for the network name, it just says "Chime Pro Network" for all instead of the unique name I gave each Chime Pro.  So now I'm wondering if I'm doing more harm with 4 Chime Pros than without using any.  I have tested it extensively today and have had lots of issues with Live View as I did before installing any of the Chime Pros. 

Message 25 of 203
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7