Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and Ring products issues

Vandergraff
Apprentice

I am still having issues where my Ring 2 Doorbell is randomly moving between router and satellite.

When connected to the router RSSI is ~ -72 - but Liveview does work (surprising given the poor RSSI). The doorbell of course complains about poor WiFi connection.

When connected to Satellite RSSI is ~ 40 but (like others) Liveview doesn't work. 

Just talked to Ring support and like others here they will end me a Chime Pro to try. Now my satellite is between the router and door bell. Pretty much anywhere I put the Chime Pro (that will have decent connection to the doorbell) it is likely to see my satellite as the strongest WiFi signal. 

For the others who found the Chime pro fixed their issue - did the Chime Pro need to connect to the router to make it work?

Message 76 of 203
rmadilao
Guide

@Vandergraff
Once you attach to Chime Pro, your cams wont connect to anything else. It will help with your back and forth switching.

Ive eliminated the Chime pro in my setup and have all 6 Ring cam devices working great now using a 2 node Orbi Pro setup.
Message 77 of 203
ianstephens
Tutor

@rmadilao

How did you fix the issues with Orbi and Ring devices?  We are too using Orbi Pro with one base and one satellite.  Did you change anything specifically or do anything "special" to make them work? 

Message 78 of 203
Vandergraff
Apprentice

One other question on the Chime Pro. Does this act as a normal WiFi extender - I don't really want other devices apart from the Ring Doorbell connecting to the Chime Pro. Everything else is working great with great speeds connected to my Orbi Router and Satellite.

Message 79 of 203
ianstephens
Tutor

A Chime Pro will ONLY connect to Ring devices - no other non-Ring device will attempt to connect or use the Chime Pro.

Message 80 of 203
rmadilao
Guide

@Vandergraff   It's a dedicated extender only for Ring devices.  Nothing else can connect to it.  And once your Ring device is "attached" to your Chime Pro, it will always use the Chime Pro, regardless of signal strength of anything else around it.

Message 81 of 203
rmadilao
Guide

@ianstephens  

I've gone through multiple mesh router systems over the past 3 months.  I finally settled on Orbi Pro as it's actually the best of the bunch for my physical environment.  First and foremost, make sure your router and satellite are not too close together.  This will help with Ring cam devices wandering between nodes. 

Maybe it's easier to tell me what you've tried.   In my case, I stripped down the system from all the advanced features and started from basic.  As I got it working, I added back the advanced features of the Orbi Pro, one by one.  I've pretty much tried everything possible and it all works great now.

What is the worst issue you are dealing with right now?  No live view?

Message 82 of 203
Kaput5
Star

OK, I mentioned over a week ago that I was getting a Velop system (Main + 1 satellite, to try). Installed 1 week ago, and not a problem 99% of the time. The only issue I had was for 2 hours one day, all video recording were choppy, but I would put that on the ISP probably. And I noticed it because I have been doing a lot of testing and watching all recordings. Otherwise I may have not noticed it.

I get Live feed with no problem, no delay in getting notifications (1-2 seconds), and videos are as expected. I even have a location around my house than can trigger 2 cameras and the doorbell at almost the same time. All of them recorded with no issue, and that with the 3 of them being on the same satellite.

A few times I got a black screen on Live on 1 camera, but I waited a minute and the feed was correct. Maybe needed to wake up the camera, but not a major issue.

Contrary to the Orbi, I noticed that the Ring devices always show connected.

So, at the end, the experiment is successful. And I am able to get everything in my house working with only 1 satellite.

Now, the Velop has less features that can be managed than the Orbi. Cannot hide SSID (even though some tools can detect hidden SSID), and the web UI and phone app do not offer exactly the same features. I would have expected the web UI to be a superset, but it is not. Interface is also a little clumsier, but at the end, if the system works, I think I will be happy as I do not fiddle with it once I am set.

The Velop also has a limited number of ports (in fact only 1 free on the Router), so I have to get a small switch to add my 2 wired devices. Velop is smaller than the Orbi, giving more options to find a place.

Now I have seen people very happy with Orbi + Ring, so there may be other factors that impact a setup…

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 83 of 203
rmadilao
Guide

@Kaput5   Happy to see you got something working with the Velop.  I've tried the Velop myself as well.  In my physical environment, it worked, but the AC2200 radios were not strong enough for my situation.  It couldn't punch through ceilings and walls that I needed to get the signal through.  Although conneciton worked fine, I could never get my full 250Mbps on a satellite node.  Hence, I forced myelf to stick with Orbi for its AC3000 radios.   Orbi Pro that is, because the firmware was much more stable.     For all those wondering, I've also tried Eero Pro, original Orbi, LInksys AC5100 + Linksys AC3000 Max stream combo.    

Message 84 of 203
cyberprashant
Luminary

long time ring video doorbell user (version 1) and orbi.  For some reason since yesterday I can't get one of them to connect to wifi.  I keep failing setup with a blinking top half white or left half white. 

I'm guessing it might be something on RIng's end since they had an outage yesterday?  Anyone else experiencing issues?

Message 85 of 203
Voge1973
Tutor

My ring stick cam and doorbell still continue to fall off the network (main router, I have a another stuck cam in the router satelite and it’s dependable) daily and I have to reboot the router or create motion to have the cams come back to the network. The other night I had boxes stolen from under my ring doorbells nose because the thieves must have struck during a period when I wasn’t home and the doorbell must have fallen off the network. So basically you purchase these items hoping to protect your house and processions and they just don’t work. I’m probably about 500-800 dollars in on equipment and service just to be as protected as having nothing at all. Ring informed me that they do have issues with Googles mesh network but they work perfectly fine with Orbi (first mesh network that they were compatible with)...told them they really need to read the Netgear and Ring forums as the issues have been well documented and they are mistaken if they think their isn’t an issue between Ring and Orbi.
Message 86 of 203
Kaput5
Star

Funny. Other people (including myself) have reported that Ring support said they are not compatible with mesh network such as Orbi...

I guess it depends who you talk to. Maybe they think about Orbi Pro and not regular Orbi, as it seems the Pro is working better with Ring.

At the end, I am not seeing anything constant/repeatable between users.

Message 87 of 203
Roamabout
Luminary

Saying Ring products dont supprt mesh networks doesnt make any sense. My personal experience with Ring level 1 support is they can barely spell Ring.

Message 88 of 203
Kaput5
Star

I totally agree; it was the purpose of my post to show they do not have a consistent message.

Level 1 is hit and miss. I had great ones and fairly bad ones just going by the book and not listening or trying to understand. 

Message 89 of 203
rmadilao
Guide

I usually explain that im an engineer and i request level 2 support. You can skip level 1 if you know what you are doing and just explain that you’ve gone through basic steps already.
Message 90 of 203
torchy
Initiate

Black Video on Spotlight CAM Battery Fixed—Re: Orbi and Ring products issues

I am not saying that this will help everyone, but just my own experiences that might help someone.

For about a year I have used a Ring Video Doorbell (battery) connected via my Orbi with no issues at all. It is connected to the Orbi satellite. I have implicit beamforming turned on but other advanced options off.

A couple of days ago I bought a Spotlight CAM battery. It installed perfectly, connected perfectly and detected motion perfectly. Video of the motion alerts was also perfect. However it would only display Live View video very occasionally and only within a reasonable time-frame of a motion alert. This was the same on both my iPhone and my wife's, models iPhoneX and 7 respectively (so not an iPhone model issue).

Over the weekend I tried setting up a guest network on Orbi, messing with channels, turning implicit beamforming on and off. Nothing made a difference.

After reading most of this thread I remembered that I had an old wi-fi router in a cupboard (an Apple Airport Express, but I suspect that is neither here nor there). I hard-wired this via Ethernet to the Orbi, set it up in 'bridged mode' with its own SSID and positioned it reasonably close on the inside wall of the building to where the CAM is outside. I then changed the CAM to pick up this SSID instead of the Orbi's.

It's been perfect since. In the Orbi 'attached devices' page it's showing both the Airport Express and the CAM as 'wired' (although technically the CAM is wi-fi via the Express).

Not sure what this tells us other than the fact that my CAM didn't play nicely via Orbi's wi-fi. So if you happen to have an old wi-fi router around and the logistics of your property allow you to follow my example (i.e. ethernet cable to the router to create a seperate wi-fi stream) this may well be worth trying.

David

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 91 of 203
rmadilao
Guide

Re: Black Video on Spotlight CAM Battery Fixed—Re: Orbi and Ring products issues

@torchy   You created a separate AP off the Orbi.  That should work too.  I had similar problems as you, with the Spotlight Cam battery and it seems to only be that model because my 5 other Ring devices work perfectly fine with Live View. 

One time I even had a duplicate IP address in my Orbi system because the Spotlight cam was attached to the base router and another ring cam was attached to a satellite and both had the same IP address.  That would cause Live View issues as well.  Now, I just reserve all IP addresses of my Ring cameras in the Orbi router so that never happens again and haven't had a problem since.   At the same time, I got a warranty exchange because Ring claimed there was an issue with my spotlight cam, although I doubt it.  We'll see.  

If you ever see the Live view go black, try to ping that camer's IP address.  It's usually not pingable but the device health will show it's perfectly fine.

Message 92 of 203
cyberprashant
Luminary

I was having problems with live video with ring stuttering or not loading.   CHeck your bufferbloat rating at dslreports speedtest - I was getting a "C" rating.  I added QOS ON setting on my upstream router of the ORBI (but you can do same with Orbi) and the video quality is much more stable and clearer.  Might help someone.  My bufferbloat is now a "A" - Charter Cable 300 down and 20 up. 

Message 93 of 203
rawbutt
Star

Where can I find the setting/config on Orbi for the QoS that you mentioned for addressing bufferbloat?  All I see in the QoS section is a Speetest.  I am running v 2.1.2.18 of the firmware.

Thanks!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 94 of 203
Vern75
Aspirant

Hello there,

I am having the same issue.  Where did you go to chage the 5g to the 2.4g?

please note, i am not very techy.  Did you go to the orbilogin.com

I am having some trouble connecting to that, it says i have the wrong serial number

Message 95 of 203
FURRYe38
Guru

You might contact the Mfr of the door bell to see if they have any more informaton with there product working with the Orbi system. Seems to be an issue with this particular product with the Orbi system. 

@Vern75wrote:

Hello there,

I am having the same issue.  Where did you go to chage the 5g to the 2.4g?

please note, i am not very techy.  Did you go to the orbilogin.com

I am having some trouble connecting to that, it says i have the wrong serial number

Message 96 of 203
Vern75
Aspirant

Thanks! I’ve reached out to Ring and to be honest they are worthless they are just wanting me to troubleshoot- they are clueless, very frustrating. Thanks for your reply though.
Message 97 of 203
Raymo66
Aspirant

@DavidShawPwrote:

I have a Ringo Doorbell Pro and a Ring Floodlight.  When i got the Orbi, neither of them could see it.  It turned out that when Orbi auto-picked a channel, it was not in the 1-11 range.  

Once I changed it to a static 2.4 Ghz channel it's worked fine.

FYI, both of my Ring devices are connected to a Satellite.

Message 98 of 203
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully this will be helpful for other RING door bell users...

@Raymo66wrote:

@DavidShawPwrote:

I have a Ringo Doorbell Pro and a Ring Floodlight.  When i got the Orbi, neither of them could see it.  It turned out that when Orbi auto-picked a channel, it was not in the 1-11 range.  

Once I changed it to a static 2.4 Ghz channel it's worked fine.

FYI, both of my Ring devices are connected to a Satellite.

Message 99 of 203
Vern75
Aspirant

Thanks! I have heard to change it to 2.4 ghz I Don’t know where to make those changes that is my problem. Screen pictures would help me. Thanks for all of your responses.
Message 100 of 203
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7