Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and Ring products issues

wildsubnet
Apprentice

Ring only sees 2.4 so if the Orbi has it turned on you’re good to go (so to speak). Where you may run into problems is the channel which has to be between 1 and 11. If you’re set to North America you’re good to go. Other regions may require more advanced settings like manually setting the channel.
Message 101 of 203
jmc262
Guide

I had a problem with my Ring doorbells providing app notifications to my mobile devices and I changed the NAT filtering (Advanced settings, Setup, WAN Setup) from secure to open. Give that a try and see if it helps with your issue.

Message 102 of 203
Rickrack
Tutor

It wont matter what router or how close you move your Ring products near or  right next to the Router. Ring Products will always drop singal, hang for forever while your wondering if theres danger outside. I wish I never bought the Ring Doorbell and 3 Stickup Cams. The problem is cheep parts, Substandard is more like it. Guess Mark Cuban knew more than we thought. Heads up to anyone thinking about buying Ring products DONT or you'll regret it like me.

Message 103 of 203
wildsubnet
Apprentice

Completely rock solid when paired with my TP-Link access point. Only time my ring doorbell fails to work is when I try it with my Orbi. Sucks but given all the other issues with Orbi, kind of lay the blame there.

Message 104 of 203
Kaput5
Star

Since I returned my Orbi (after trying other routers) and replaced it with a Velop, no issue. 1 Ring, 3 cameras, always connected, no drops, live view as needed, no video stuttering, etc.

I really liked the Orbi, but where Ring is concerned, seems the Orbi was not working for me. However there may be a lot more parameters that are in play, and blaming one party or the other may not be the solution.

At the end, I think the route to go is whatever works in your environment.

Message 105 of 203
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 106 of 203
mgdurand1
Luminary

I had similar connection/drop out issues with my Ring devices.  I surmised that it was due to the need for the Ring only being on the 2.4 band.  I added a standard range extender and connected it to the touter at 2.4 only.  no more issues here.

Message 107 of 203
Vern75
Aspirant

For those now not able to connect to ring doorbell to your Orbi— what worked for me was to purchase the “ring chime pro” it’s a WiFi extender ($50). It sucks I know but that’s the only way. The ring chime pro connected to Orbi and the doorbell connected to the chime pro.
Model: RBK44| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 108 of 203
jmc262
Guide

Did anyone try turning off NAT filtering? Once I turned that off I’ve had no connection or notification issues.
Message 109 of 203
FURRYe38
Guru

How many of these devices do you have online at one time? Possible port routing issue. See this with two or more game consoles online at the same time needing same ports, NAT Filter set to Open helps for these configurations...

@jmc262 wrote:
Did anyone try turning off NAT filtering? Once I turned that off I’ve had no connection or notification issues.

Message 110 of 203
bayoyong
Tutor

How do u do that with your Orbi (pick the channel)?
Message 111 of 203
FURRYe38
Guru

Log into the routers web page with a browser and navigate to Basic/Wireless Settings.

@bayoyong wrote:
How do u do that with your Orbi (pick the channel)?

Message 112 of 203
StuEd
Aspirant

I had problems connecting two ring2 door bells to my Orbi satellite, I found on setting up the bells that they could find all my neighbours WiFi networks but not my own which was only 10feet away. The solution was to enable guest network on orby, this worked long enough for me to set up the door bells but the signal strength shown on the ring app was Rssi -65 and this was too weak to give a stable connection, I went in to router configuration and changed the wireless channel to 3 and enabled beam forming.

Now I have an Rssi on doorbell of -56 and all works well. Channel interference seems to be a problem with the Ring device

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 113 of 203
FURRYe38
Guru

Can try this as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649457...

@StuEd wrote:

I had problems connecting two ring2 door bells to my Orbi satellite, I found on setting up the bells that they could find all my neighbours WiFi networks but not my own which was only 10feet away. The solution was to enable guest network on orby, this worked long enough for me to set up the door bells but the signal strength shown on the ring app was Rssi -65 and this was too weak to give a stable connection, I went in to router configuration and changed the wireless channel to 3 and enabled beam forming.

Now I have an Rssi on doorbell of -56 and all works well. Channel interference seems to be a problem with the Ring device

Message 114 of 203
james7777
Tutor

I am having the exact same issue. I previously had a single traditional router, and had no issues with my Ring doorbell.

Now, with my Orbi system, Ring will only connect via live view if I retry several times, usually on the 3rd or 4th attempt it will connect. Other times I get a black screen or an error message. Note:This is ONLY when connected to the orbi satellite.

If I turn off the satellite, the ring live view works every single time. Thinking about returning now.
Message 115 of 203
FURRYe38
Guru

Can try this:

@james7777 wrote:
I am having the exact same issue. I previously had a single traditional router, and had no issues with my Ring doorbell.

Now, with my Orbi system, Ring will only connect via live view if I retry several times, usually on the 3rd or 4th attempt it will connect. Other times I get a black screen or an error message. Note:This is ONLY when connected to the orbi satellite.

If I turn off the satellite, the ring live view works every single time. Thinking about returning now.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649457...

Message 116 of 203
james7777
Tutor

Not sure if I am missing something but I don't have a Skybell, I have Ring..

Edit: assigning a static IP? I can try that.
Message 117 of 203
Kaput5
Star

FWIW, all my devices have assigned IP adresses, and the problem was the same when I used the Orbi (which I returned 9 months ago).

Message 118 of 203
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz.
Try WPA and PSK.

Let us know if anything changes. 

@james7777 wrote:
Not sure if I am missing something but I don't have a Skybell, I have Ring..

Edit: assigning a static IP? I can try that.

Message 119 of 203
Tadpolesuv
Aspirant

I have been having problems with Live View on my doorbell but it seems to work fine on the two cameras (Floodlight cameras) I have. I got a suggestions from one of the post on this thread to install the Ring Chime Pro and connect it to the doorbell. I did that and it cleared up my problems with Live View. The doorbell had a very strong signal to the ORBI satalite in my configuration but for some reason Live View would not work. It orginally worked when I first installed my ORBI but eventually it began to fail and then completely stopped working. It would still detect motion and record just fine but Live View would not work. After I installed the Ring Chime Pro everything is working great again. I only connected the doorbell to the Ring Chime Pro since the other cameras were working fine. I am guessing that that it got confused with the 2.4G and 5G networks using the same SSID. It was a cheap fix ($50) for a problem that I have been dealing with for several weeks. Give this a try before you take your ORBI back.

Firmware version V2.2.1.210

One router and one satalite 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 120 of 203
FURRYe38
Guru

Some Smart or IoT device Mfrs are not properly testing out there setup mechanisms to ensure that there products work well on MESH systems with a single SSID. For devices that only support 2.4Ghz, they will not see 5Ghz ever. Its the setup software which maybe getting confused when the setup mobile device supports both 2.4Ghz and 5ghz and there software seems to expect the mobile device to be connected to a 2.4Ghz signal. It shouldn't have to as the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz singles are on the same WLAN network. The mfr seems to not fully test this out thus leading to customer confusion about Orbi not working well for some devices that only support 2.4Ghz. Orbi works and handles getting devices connected. It's up to the mfr and there software setup mechanism to better support having setup mobile devices connected to either frequency to get there devices installed. 

@Tadpolesuv wrote:

I have been having problems with Live View on my doorbell but it seems to work fine on the two cameras (Floodlight cameras) I have. I got a suggestions from one of the post on this thread to install the Ring Chime Pro and connect it to the doorbell. I did that and it cleared up my problems with Live View. The doorbell had a very strong signal to the ORBI satalite in my configuration but for some reason Live View would not work. It orginally worked when I first installed my ORBI but eventually it began to fail and then completely stopped working. It would still detect motion and record just fine but Live View would not work. After I installed the Ring Chime Pro everything is working great again. I only connected the doorbell to the Ring Chime Pro since the other cameras were working fine. I am guessing that that it got confused with the 2.4G and 5G networks using the same SSID. It was a cheap fix ($50) for a problem that I have been dealing with for several weeks. Give this a try before you take your ORBI back.

Firmware version V2.2.1.210

One router and one satalite 

Message 121 of 203
rmadilao
Guide

Yup.  This is why I separate my 2.4 and 5 network manually in the Orbi (through Busybox interface).  I have 6 Ring cameras and even the Ring alarm and they all run on the 2.4Ghz except for the Doorbell Pro which works quite well on 5Ghz.  I force all my other mobile devices to only connect on 5Ghz.   2 Orbi PROs and an Orbi Outdoor cover my entire house and backyard.  I also do get actual 300-400Mbps while connected to an Orbi Pro satellite.  On the main router unit itself, I can get 450Mbps easily as it doesn't have to go node hopping.  Working great for me.  

Message 122 of 203
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats great that it's working for you. Just hope that device mfrs will take more notice on this as Orbi user shouldn't have to go to lengths to separate the Orbis Wifi SSID names to get there devices to connect. Mfrs need to step up. 

I'm still hoping that NG can offer a simpler UI feature that lets users disable either radio. Will see if they do. Smiley Wink

@rmadilao wrote:

Yup.  This is why I separate my 2.4 and 5 network manually in the Orbi (through Busybox interface).  I have 6 Ring cameras and even the Ring alarm and they all run on the 2.4Ghz except for the Doorbell Pro which works quite well on 5Ghz.  I force all my other mobile devices to only connect on 5Ghz.   2 Orbi PROs and an Orbi Outdoor cover my entire house and backyard.  I also do get actual 300-400Mbps while connected to an Orbi Pro satellite.  On the main router unit itself, I can get 450Mbps easily as it doesn't have to go node hopping.  Working great for me.  

Message 123 of 203
rmadilao
Guide

I asked for a similar type of feature in the UI in the Orbo Pro lineup about having control of the 2 frequency bands.  They took my request, and got back to me after a week.  The answer was NO!   LOL....

Message 124 of 203
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats a shame. Well at least you tried. I presume there are various reason why they don't put that in. IT's just more than separation. Lots of other things. It's working for you so Enjoy. Smiley Wink

You might save a config to file for safe keeping later on. Not sure if this process captures the separation or not. I suppose you'll find out if you upgrade FW or have to do a factory reset, load the saved config from file and see if things are still as you had them setup. 

@rmadilao wrote:

I asked for a similar type of feature in the UI in the Orbo Pro lineup about having control of the 2 frequency bands.  They took my request, and got back to me after a week.  The answer was NO!   LOL....

Message 125 of 203
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7