Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and Ring products issues

Ruined
Aspirant

I borrowed an Amplifi HD set up and can confirm no issues with Ring for it. My cams all loaded within 3sec. Orbi just does not want to do Live View with the my battery powered Ring devices, the plug in ones seem fine. 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 126 of 203
rmadilao
Guide

Yup. Same here. For battery powered, Ring devices, use a ring chime pro. It solves the Live View problem. For wired Ring devices, it works fine directly connected.
Message 127 of 203
JustinH
Aspirant

Having similar issues since I installed an Orbi router & satellite. Except my stick up cam stopped sending notifications & cloud recording motion. I could still live view but that was it. 

I have a FIOS wireless gateway & re-enabled the 2.4 wifi on it (had disabled it & the 5.0 on the Fios so erverything ran on the Orbi system)... lo-n-behold, the Ring stick up cam now sends and records motion. Just adding my 2 cents, hoping someone knows of a workaround. My 2.4 signal sucks out where I wish to mount the stick up cams. Which was mainly my reason for wanting to go with the Orbi system!!!

Message 128 of 203
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units will be a casue of double NAT and cause problems with another router such as the Orbi router connected it it:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem leaving it in router mode and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@JustinH wrote:

Having similar issues since I installed an Orbi router & satellite. Except my stick up cam stopped sending notifications & cloud recording motion. I could still live view but that was it. 

I have a FIOS wireless gateway & re-enabled the 2.4 wifi on it (had disabled it & the 5.0 on the Fios so erverything ran on the Orbi system)... lo-n-behold, the Ring stick up cam now sends and records motion. Just adding my 2 cents, hoping someone knows of a workaround. My 2.4 signal sucks out where I wish to mount the stick up cams. Which was mainly my reason for wanting to go with the Orbi system!!!

Message 129 of 203
wildsubnet
Apprentice

Nothing to do with double NAT. The ring devices simply disconnect from the netgears after awhile. I had put mine on an old AP plugged into my Orbi sat to get it to stay online. Based the research I did at the time this is pretty common issue with Ring and Netgear routers.

Message 130 of 203
FURRYe38
Guru

It probably does if you have a modem with a router built in and install the Orbi in router mode. This does cause a couble NAT condition and would inhibit some devices to connect with there services. Since you put yours in to AP mode, seems to confirm this with your configuration. 

Hope this will help the other poster though. 

@wildsubnet wrote:

Nothing to do with double NAT. The ring devices simply disconnect from the netgears after awhile. I had put mine on an old AP plugged into my Orbi sat to get it to stay online. Based the research I did at the time this is pretty common issue with Ring and Netgear routers.

Message 131 of 203
rmadilao
Guide

Yup. It happens on the battery based Ring devices with Orbi. I have 6 Ring cams. All wired ones connect fine to Orbi. The battery ones need a Ring Chime Pro in between to maintain connectivity.
Message 132 of 203
inteller
Apprentice

good lord what a horrible and glaring problem.  once again, Netgear making its users the beta testers.  I was having this problem but my Ring Pro is wired into my doorbell transformer.  I think it has nothing to do with battery vs wired.

Message 133 of 203
rmadilao
Guide

Its how the power management is done for the battery based Ring devices versus hardwired. Most likely puts the device to sleep too much and certain keep alive signal isnt often enough to maintain connectivity with the Orbi. Wired devices dont have this problem. Most of the time its how each company interprets the networking stack specs. Thats why major device vendors have interop testing events.
Message 134 of 203
inteller
Apprentice

well mine is wired and it does the same thing as battery ones (black screen on live view)

Message 135 of 203
rmadilao
Guide

You probably have a different problem then. How is the line of sight? Are you going thru multiple stucco walls from your node to the device?
Message 136 of 203
inteller
Apprentice

no, one wall (obviously) and then 11 ft to a satellite.

Message 137 of 203
rmadilao
Guide

Hmmn. I also separated my 2.4 and 5.0 SSIDs. That may help too. The Ring devices dont like auto 2.4/5.0 selection which the newer routers like to have as a “feature”. I put most of my Ring cams on the 2.4 network (except the doorbell which can do 5.0). My mobile devices I force on 5.0 network.
Message 138 of 203
inteller
Apprentice

as others have stated with trying other Wifi systems Ring works fine with them so I'm not going to convienently throw Ring under the bus here if they work with other systems just fine.  There wouldn't be a thread 7 pages long if Netgear wasnt partly to blame.

Message 139 of 203
rmadilao
Guide

The fault is a bit on both sides.   I have 6 Ring cams, chime pro, Ring alarm and another dozen devices related to the alarm too.    I'm a Ring subscribers so I've replaced all my 6 Ring cams (including the doorbell) due to various issues under their extended warranty program.   So Ring also does have a lot of issues.  As 2019 arrives, I'm waiting to see which Ring cams I need to replace this year.  LOL.   

Anyways, it's basically this. You take one product with some issues from one vendor, and take another product with some issues from another vendor.  Put them together,  voila!   We get the 7 pages of the mess!  I have spent lots of time with Ring and lots of time with Netgear to make my system work.  Fortunately, I'm an engineer, so I'm used to stuff not working together.  And yup, they should work cuz you paid for it,  but anything WIFI based will always have issues.

Message 140 of 203
jmc262
Guide

Try changing the NAT setting from secure to open. I had issues as well, did some research beyond this forum, and made this change. Havent changed anything else’s with Orbi (turned off WiFi on my ISP modem). Haven’t had any issue since.
Using 2 wired video doorbells.
Message 141 of 203
james7777
Tutor

I think it's a bit funny all the hoops you guys are having to jump through in order to get Ring doorbell to work with an Orbi system. Wayyy too much fiddling around required, that's for sure.

Before I returned my Orbi system, I determined that live view was always a problem when connected to the satellite. When connected to the router node, it would be fine.

Anyhow I'm back to a standard single router system and my ring doorbell works perfectly without any tweaks or hoop jumping so I'm a happy camper.
Message 142 of 203
FURRYe38
Guru

Most of the issues are with the Mfr of these IoT devices. There mostly supporting 2.4Ghz only and there setup software only supports 2.4Ghz during the setup process. They fail to relized that most homes not days have 5Ghz supporting mobile devices and in the last two years, WiFi Router Mfrs have deployed these all in one single SSID MESH wifi systesm. Most home devices are a mix of 2.4ghz and 5Ghz. Most mobile devices automatically connect to the 5Ghz while the 2.4Ghz only supporting devices connect to the other radio. The Mfrs have failed to develop there setup software to better allow and uses setup devices on 5Ghz since both frequencies are on the same network. This causes problems during the setup process and leads to false problems places with Orbi. These IoT mfrs needs to step up and ensure there products work with all these various kinds of MESH networks. They do work and work well and they are not going away anytime soon. IoT mfrs just needs to make a small tweak and then there software would probably work well. Shouldn't be that hard. 

@james7777 wrote:
I think it's a bit funny all the hoops you guys are having to jump through in order to get Ring doorbell to work with an Orbi system. Wayyy too much fiddling around required, that's for sure.

Before I returned my Orbi system, I determined that live view was always a problem when connected to the satellite. When connected to the router node, it would be fine.

Anyhow I'm back to a standard single router system and my ring doorbell works perfectly without any tweaks or hoop jumping so I'm a happy camper.

Message 143 of 203
Kaput5
Star

As I mentionned a year ago now, moving to a different mesh manufacturer fixed all my issues. For the past year, no fiddling or anything like that, it just works, as it should be expected.

My new mesh has one unique SSID for router, satellite and 2.4 and 5. All Ring equipment connect to the 2.4 with no confusion.

At the end, is it a mix of issues between Orbi and Ring, making it not to work at its best, and such issue do not show on what I have? No idea, but as mentioned earlier, manufacturers should verify that their equipment works on mesh network, OR mention an incompatibility if the problem is not on their side (similar: I saw a manufacturer of wmart plugs specifying which mesh network were not compatible).

Message 144 of 203
FURRYe38
Guru

Agreed. Smiley Wink

@Kaput5 wrote:

As I mentionned a year ago now, moving to a different mesh manufacturer fixed all my issues. For the past year, no fiddling or anything like that, it just works, as it should be expected.

My new mesh has one unique SSID for router, satellite and 2.4 and 5. All Ring equipment connect to the 2.4 with no confusion.

At the end, is it a mix of issues between Orbi and Ring, making it not to work at its best, and such issue do not show on what I have? No idea, but as mentioned earlier, manufacturers should verify that their equipment works on mesh network, OR mention an incompatibility if the problem is not on their side (similar: I saw a manufacturer of wmart plugs specifying which mesh network were not compatible).

Message 145 of 203
Age13
Aspirant

Thanks that worked for me.

I have added a Ring Spotlight Cam Battery (already got a Ring Flood Light Cam and Ring Pro)  and was having a problem with only Live View everything else worked fine with the Spotlight Cam. 

I change my Orbi Router settings for the Spotlight to a static IP and now live view is working everytime.

Thanks 

Message 146 of 203
MikeG63
Apprentice

Thanks that also seems to have worked for me.

I have added a Ring Spotlight Cam Battery, Ring Doorbell 2, my Ring Chimes and Ring Chime Pro (although now have no need for the Chime Pro network).  I too was having a problem with only Live View, everything else seemed to work fine with the Spotlight Cam and Ring Doorbell 2 although they had some latency issues. 

I change my Orbi Router settings for all my Ring devices to having a reserved IP address and now live view is working everytime.

Thanks 

Message 147 of 203
MikeG63
Apprentice

Just a quick update - I thought that changing my Orbi Router settings for all my Ring devices to having a reserved IP address had resolved the problem, but it appears not and I am completely back to where I was previously with live view timing out!

Frustrating as it is, the motion video capture works just fine, but as a previous contributor noted, what's the point of having a camera if you can't 'drop in' to check on things!!

Any other suggestions would be most welcom 🙂

Message 148 of 203
Age13
Aspirant

Just a quick update since my last post Live View has stop working on my Battery Spotlight Cam.

The Static IP Config only worked for a few days. Motion detection works fine and has also worked.

My Ring Door Pro and Floodlight Cam work fine with Live View.

I am waiting on a Chime Pro to see if that sorts it out.

Message 149 of 203
jmc262
Guide

For the 3rd time...
Has anyone tried turning off NAT security like I did? No problems since I did that. Please try it and let me know. Most of you are using batteries but mine is hard wired so I’m curious.
Message 150 of 203
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7