Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and Ring products issues

MikeG63
Apprentice

Turning off NAT security made no difference at all for me.

Message 151 of 203
Rrgirgis
Star

I have purchased 2 ring stick up cam batteries and they seem to record motion well, but live view works only on occasion. Any of the below changes might get it working momentarily or for a few days but eventually the spinning wheel of no live view comes back. I have tried turning NAT off, IP reservation, 20/40mhz enable/disable, beam forming, mumimo, DMZ, resetting orbi to factory defaults, changing WiFi output power, fixed channels, ring Chime pro, nothing gets them to live view consistently. I think for battery operated ring devices it will just not live stream consistently due to how orbi handles communication between the devices and the way ring power saves etc.. I have 2 powered stick up cams and a ring door bell pro that work excellent with orbi.

I wonder if it is the power handling on the cam or If ring made a 5ghz battery operated device that we could test to see if it’s just on the 2.4 side.

The one thing that might work is having a secondry router as an access point that only the ring battery devices connect too and see if that fixes the issue. I have tried this setup just for a little bit but wasn’t able to give enough time to see if it made a difference. I will test some more in the next few days...

So orbi and ring battery cams do work to record motion well but live view just doesn’t.
Message 152 of 203
rmadilao
Guide

I had the same issue and a Ring Chime Pro fixed it for me for the battery operated spotlight cam.  I also did have an exchange in hardware cam as well, and it worked perfectly fine after.  (Perks of being a ring protect subscriber).     In fact, i'm trying Live View now, and yup, it works.  LOL.

Message 153 of 203
wildsubnet
Apprentice

A non-Netgear AP works great. Have one hanging off the orbi for the Ring doorbell, not more live view issues. Whatever is wrong between the Orbi and Netgear makes the Netgear think it’s dropped off the network. Motion “wakes” back up the Ring device so motion capture works fine. Live view is the problem I’ve observed. But with a non-Netgear AP, live view works pretty much all the time.

Message 154 of 203
Rrgirgis
Star

ok to follow up from my last post... no setting changes in the orbi have worked with the ring stick up cam battery to get the live view working consistently.

However as others have stated I added a tethered Acess Point (i got a simple asus wifi router and placed it in AP mode) to the orbi and that has resolved the live view issues with the ring battery stick up camera.

Not sure if its on ring or the orbi side that is the problem but the ring battery stick up cam does work with other wifi devices.

thank you to all for the help!
Message 155 of 203
Age13
Aspirant

Just to follow on from last post. I have now had the Spotlight Cam Battery working with the Chime Pro for over a week without any problems.

Prior to adding the Chime Pro the Spotlight Cam Battery seem to work for a couple days at max.

I have notice there is a firmware update (2.3.0.32) for the Orbi RBK50 which has to be installed maunally, may it got a fix for this problem.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 156 of 203
MikeG63
Apprentice

Hi, in answer to your question regarding whether the latest firmware upgrade has improved matters.  I have just finished upgrading my two satellites and router to v2.3.0.32 and it does seem to have improved matters with regard to the Spotlight Cam Battery, but frustratingly not with my Ring Doorbell 2.

If you are going to do this manual update please do read the release notes carefully as they is a sequence of firmware upgrades to be followed, and you are advised to update your satellites first before you update the router.

Definitely a case of two steps forward and one step backwards!!!

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 157 of 203
Age13
Aspirant

Thank's for the pointers on the update procedure MikeG63, I will be updating my network this weekend.

However my Liveview problem seems to be sorted now since using the Chime Pro Network for the Spotlight CAM Battery. 

I will try it back on the Orbi network after the update to see if the update has also fix the Liveview problem I was experiencing.  

Message 158 of 203
MikeG63
Apprentice

Hi, also be aware that there is a further firmware update that's not listed on the support site that will appear on the update page for 2.3.0.44 that will need to applied.  No release notes for this one as far as I can see, but the update has gone OK.

After that both my Spotlight Cam Battery and Ring Doorbell 2 now seem to work - but for how long 🙂

Message 159 of 203
MikeG63
Apprentice

Just by way of an update, it is looking promising after updating to v2.3.0.44 🙂

Message 160 of 203
inteller
Apprentice

is this firmware beta or something?  Not seeing it for my Orbi when I check.

Message 161 of 203
Age13
Aspirant

Attached is youtube video with information about new firmware release.

It is only acessable via the support page under firmware update for the RBR50/RBS50. (not via the orbi router login ONLINE UPDATE)

You need to read the release note before you update.

Message 162 of 203
inteller
Apprentice

Ah so Netgear is gonna do the ole screw over older equipment users and not make it available for the RBR40?
Message 163 of 203
Age13
Aspirant

I can't comment on that.

It's looks like the latest firmware available for the RBR40 / RBS40 is  2.3.0.28

Message 164 of 203
wildsubnet
Apprentice

I’m on the latest firmware and the note about IOT device disconnects being fixed made me hopeful Ring Doorbell 2 would actually stay connected...so I reprogrammed it this morning and live view has worked like a champ all day. Yeah!

Message 165 of 203
Rrgirgis
Star

ok, reporting back as well. i have had my two ring battery stick up cams working excellent with a tethered asus acess point.

i was reading the above posts and decided to update my orbi to the 2.3.0.44 firmware. once i did i went back to the firmware update page to check that everything was good and the the update page said there is a newer firmware!? so i updated to 2.3.1.44 firmware and reset my one of my battery cams and reconneted it to orbi network and so far the first few hours it has been working flawlessly live view and all!

So, I will test again tomorrow to give a full 24-48 hours and see if the new firmware fixed the issue, so far it seems like it has...guess the ring battery cam live view issue might have been on the orbi side...
Message 166 of 203
MikeG63
Apprentice

Hi, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but having updated to v2.3.0.44 a few days ago it now appears nothing has changed.  It seems to work more consistently when the device is shown on the 'attached device' list.  However as soon as the doorbell and camera go in to 'sleep' mode to save battery usage they dissapear from the attached device list, and then seem to need movement to wake them up so you can the use 'live view'.  The other way that seems to work for me (although not consistently) is to try 'live view' a few times in succession and that sometimes seems to work.

On a slightly separate note has anyone had problems setting the right TZ in the Admin / NTP page?

Message 167 of 203
Rrgirgis
Star

ok updated with the latest firmware 2.3.1.44 and although when the ring spot light cam battery connects its live view works well but once the camera goes into sleep mode its back to live view working sometimes... SO an asus access point it is, it works excellent and no issues just easier to do then testing back and forth... my .02
Message 168 of 203
MikeG63
Apprentice

So I have now come to the conclusion that because of the way mesh networks work, and inparticular in the Orbi's case, there is currently no solution because of the way Netgear have configured their mesh network and the Ring battery operated devices 'sleeping' to save battery life. It's not Netgear's or Ring's fault, just the way both devices work. I can see why the mains devices work as they do not loose their network connection. So I have decided not waste any more of my valuable time on trying to get the two systems to work.

I have therefore decided to spend a small anmout of money and go for the simple solution, which in my case was to use my existing Chime Pro for the garden camera which connects to a Chime Pro network connected to the Orbi Satellite at the far end of my house.  For the front door I have  bought, for £40, another Chime Pro and located it near the front door which connects to the Orbi router and the Doorbell 2 in turn connect to the Chime Pro network generated by this new device.  It took a little effort to persuade the front door Doorbell 2 to connect to the correct Chime Pro network, but now I have it all set up and correctly configured everything now works reliably as expected.

I really didn't want to go down the access point route as it introduces yet another wireless network device and would have worked out more expensive and time consuming.

Message 169 of 203
Chuck_M
Mentor

Didn't I read somewhere that by changing to "Short Preamble" that helped this issue?  Sorry I cant give a direct reference, but thought I read it somewhere

Message 170 of 203
JRDretired
Aspirant

I’m having the same problem.  So frustrated.  Bought a Orbi to make Ring connectivity easier.  Live view works only for a brief time after motion is detected.  

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 171 of 203
MikeG63
Apprentice

Hi sadly for Ring battery powered products due to the way in which they work having a mesh network will not improve matters.  Works well for pretty much everything else, although be aware that for Nest battery powered smoke alarms to get them to work you need to completely reset back to default factory settings before configuring with your Orbi network.

The only way you will really improve matters is getting a Ring Pro Chime and connecting the battery powered devices to your Ring network created by the Chime Pro.  That way works great actually.

Message 172 of 203
jdh2n_atl
Guide

Ring has issues with Wi-Fi bridge and repeaters. Live view rarely works over the bridge or when connected to a repeater device. Something about the protocol it uses. Ring denies it but I can reproduce the issue with multiple brands of devices.
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 173 of 203
JRDretired
Aspirant

I added an inexpensive Netgear WiFi router to the Ethernet port in the Orbi.  It gave me a single 2.4 network that I put all the Ring products on.  Probably not the most elegant solution, but it worked.

Message 174 of 203
Nolaguy
Aspirant

This is the 5th day I’ve had my ring device and I only have the doorbell. I’ve been having my orbi system for about a year. Just today I’ve started having issues with live video. The orbi router is about 12-14 feet away from the ring. I have 1 satellite about the same distance away but further in my house. What I did for the mean time is to just put the ring on my modem WiFi which I don’t use for any other device. It only has a 2.4ghz so it’s perfect It’s also the same distance as my orbi router . I have never had the need to use my other satellite but I just set it up about 4-5 feet from the ring.

Now I am at a standstill on what I should do to get the Ring to connect to only the satellite that’s closest to the ring and to STAY connected?!?!?
Message 175 of 203
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7