Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and Ring products issues

MikeG63
Apprentice

As far as I am aware there is no way that you can 'force' a device to connect to a prticular router / satellite.

Message 176 of 203
Nolaguy
Aspirant

See and that’s the problem because once the ring goes into it’s sleep mode it loses whatever satellite it was connected to. So far I am still not having issues with my modem router WiFi. It’s a Motorola and it only has a 2.4g antenna. Cox internet. Rbr40 orbi and it is on ROUTER MODE and works great and always has.
Message 177 of 203
MikeG63
Apprentice

It will always work in that configuration, the key being "it only has a 2.4g antenna" and is not part of a mesh network.  There are two solutions to the problem:

1. Use additional Ring Chime Pros, the only down side here is that you can't 'force' a Ring device to connect to a particular Chime Pro network.
  2. Use Ring wired devices usch a Ring Camara wired or a Ring Doorbell Pro.

I gues this topic is now flogged to death from a Netgear perspective.  It would be good if Ring allowed you to specufy a specific Chime Pro network to connect devices to from my perpspective, but hey, the world's not perfect.

Message 178 of 203
Nolaguy
Aspirant

It’s just weird it was working fine and now this is going on. I don’t have a chime or a chime pro because I never felt that I would being that I have such great coverage of WiFi threw my house.
Message 179 of 203
JustinH
Aspirant

I fail to see how Ring is the issue. Ever asince I purchased my $350 bricks (Orbi) Wifi signal is STRONG, yes, but things don't automatically connect. Not just Ring cams either. 

My Samsung S8+ will be connected to the wifi, but webpages 404 unless I disconnect & reconnect to the Orbi wifi. Its like my phone does the same the cams do, if they go to sleep & need to reconnect to record motion, they aren't allowed to reconnect. 

I tried the latest firmware update, there's another issue!! - My phone with the Orbi app is connected to "wifiname" & starts the update. Then going through the motions it reboots the Orbi & tries to reconnect to "Wifiname-GUEST"... & I have guest OFF now. WTF. 

edit: What is interesting, I go into the connected devices in the Orbi app & both of my Ring stick up cams are there. 1 on the side of the house with the satellite showing connected to the 2.4g satellite, & the other connected 2.4g to the main Orbi on that side of the house. Exactly what I wanted. hmmm... 

Message 180 of 203
DUSlider
Aspirant

For anyone that is using an ISP provided wireless gateway/modem. Have you tried putting the Orbi system into Access Point mode? It's not ideal, as I'd think the Orbi would be a better router than the one your ISP gives you.

Message 181 of 203
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@DUSlider wrote:

For anyone that is using an ISP provided wireless gateway/modem. Have you tried putting the Orbi system into Access Point mode? It's not ideal, as I'd think the Orbi would be a better router than the one your ISP gives you.

Message 182 of 203
DUSlider
Aspirant

So today I did a setup for a client with the RBK44, though I only used two of the three satellites.

Clients setup consisted of.

Verizon Quantum Wireless Gateway wired to the main Orbi RBR40 Router. Then two RBS20.

Ring Products included, two Floodlight Cameras, one Spotlight wired and two Ring Pro Video Doorbells.

I setup the router and two satellites in the same room initially, updated to the latest firmware (2.3.1.58) on the router and satellites. I put them in WAP mode to let the Verizon Wireless Gateway handle routing and IP distribution. I disabled the wireless on the Verizon Wireless Gateway and set static IP reservations for all Orbi devices. I did not change any other settings on the Orbi devices.

I powered the Satellites down and relocated them, both showed a blue light to indicate a good connection to the main Orbi Mesh router, now in WAP mode.

I connected the Spotlight Wired camera first, which was mounted to a shed in the backyard. It had no issues connecting to the wifi and live view came up within less than 2 seconds whenever I tested it. It will be connecting to one of the Satellites as its signal was stronger than the main router node.

I connected the one Ring Floodlight camera, which was closer to the main router next, again, had no issues. I connected the other Ring Floodlight camera which was on the opposite side of the house, it would need to connect to the other satellite, again, no issues.

I was only able to connect one of the Ring Pro doorbells because of a mounting issue, the one I did connect is closer to the main node.

So, I'm not sure if I was lucky, if the firmware fixed the issue, or if it will break tomorrow (I will surely get a call if it does)

Message 183 of 203
FURRYe38
Guru

Your configuration should work well then. 

@DUSlider wrote:

So today I did a setup for a client with the RBK44, though I only used two of the three satellites.

Clients setup consisted of.

Verizon Quantum Wireless Gateway wired to the main Orbi RBR40 Router. Then two RBS20.

Ring Products included, two Floodlight Cameras, one Spotlight wired and two Ring Pro Video Doorbells.

I setup the router and two satellites in the same room initially, updated to the latest firmware (2.3.1.58) on the router and satellites. I put them in WAP mode to let the Verizon Wireless Gateway handle routing and IP distribution. I disabled the wireless on the Verizon Wireless Gateway and set static IP reservations for all Orbi devices. I did not change any other settings on the Orbi devices.

I powered the Satellites down and relocated them, both showed a blue light to indicate a good connection to the main Orbi Mesh router, now in WAP mode.

I connected the Spotlight Wired camera first, which was mounted to a shed in the backyard. It had no issues connecting to the wifi and live view came up within less than 2 seconds whenever I tested it. It will be connecting to one of the Satellites as its signal was stronger than the main router node.

I connected the one Ring Floodlight camera, which was closer to the main router next, again, had no issues. I connected the other Ring Floodlight camera which was on the opposite side of the house, it would need to connect to the other satellite, again, no issues.

I was only able to connect one of the Ring Pro doorbells because of a mounting issue, the one I did connect is closer to the main node.

So, I'm not sure if I was lucky, if the firmware fixed the issue, or if it will break tomorrow (I will surely get a call if it does)

Message 184 of 203
Emm-D
Aspirant

Took all day to connect my Orbi system to the Ring doorbell Pro. Thanks for suggestion to disconnect satellites (I have 2). Once I did that, the doorbell was able to connect to Orbi router. This is not the first time we have had difficulty connecting new wifi electronics to Orbi. Now, if I can find a way to raise the volume of voice audio on the Ring device, we will have something. Not thrilled with this yet. Thanks again for the shared guidance.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 185 of 203
Den34
Guide

Thank you rmadilao,

My Ring Doorbell2 always failed to connect "live view" on the first attempt, and then would connect on the 2nd attempt.  The process through the ring app was long and cumbersome.  I disabled beamforming and MU-MIMO, and "live view" then worked instantly.  I experimented by enabling just beamforming, and then just MU-MIMO. My doorbell2 "live view" works fine if feamforming is enabled, but will not work until the 2nd attempt to connect if MU-MIMO is enabled. Your suggestion fixed my issue with "live view."

Thank you!!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 186 of 203
bayoyong
Tutor

Thx so much. Can you explain how you disabled beamforming and MU-MIMO?

Thx!

Message 187 of 203
bayoyong
Tutor

Figured it out. 🙂 But I don't have either of those enabled, and live view still doesn't work for me. 😞

Message 188 of 203
Den34
Guide

Hi bayoyong,

Yes, it is under "Advanced Setup," then "Wireless Settings."  At the bottom of the screen, make sure that Enable Implicit Beamforming" and "Enable MU-MIMO" have no checks in the check boxes. Then click "Apply." After further testing today, I find that my Ring Doorbell2 works best for "Live View" when both of these check boxes are not checked (See screen shot).

Message 189 of 203
Den34
Guide

I also assigned a static IP number to my Ring Doorbell2 through the Orbi configuration screen. I tried the static assignment first, and that did nothing.  The second thing I tried was disabling beamforming and MI-MUMO.  Try assigning a static IP to the Ring doorbell. 

On my system, nothing was assigned to 192.168.1.9, so I used that IP. The screen is found under "Advanced," then "Setup," then "LAN Setup" (see attached screen shot).

Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 190 of 203
bayoyong
Tutor

Hey! Thx again so much! I went to the screen you described. But I'm not seeing my Ring listed. I see my ChimePro but not my Ring. There are a few titled "Unknown" or other random names. Was it obvious for yours? 

Thx again!

Jeff

Message 191 of 203
Den34
Guide

Your Ring doorbell will only be listed as a connected device if you used it recently.  What I did was used the Ring app on my phone to pull up the "Live View." If it does not pull up, it will at least be trying.  That should be all you need to then see the Doorbell "pop up" on your screen of listed devices that are connected.  Once you see it, look at the IP number it is using, then go back to the screen where you can assign it manually.

Message 192 of 203
bayoyong
Tutor

Hmm..yeah that didn't do it for me. Maybe b/c my Ring is connected to the ChimePro's network? I looked up the MAC address for the Ring and do not see any device with that address in the list as well. Again, really appreciate the help.

Message 193 of 203
Den34
Guide

In the Ring app, under "devices," "door bell," "Device Health," what is your signal strength reading?  When I had Beamforming & MU-MIMO enabled, my strength reading was awesome (RSSI - 34). Now that they are disabled, my reading RSSI reading is only 63.  If you get much higher than the mid sixties, that can be an issue, too, b/c the signal is too weak. Have you tried taking the Chime Pro out of the network?  Or is the doorbell too far away to connect to anything without the extender?  I took the my extender out, b/c with the Orbi router and 2 satellites I had no need for any extenders.  The extender was actually a problem in my system.

Message 194 of 203
bayoyong
Tutor

Signal strength is RSSI-6. Is that good?

The doorbell is fairly close to an Orbi satellite. And the ChimePro is right next to both. So yeah, maybe I will try taking the ChimePro out.

Message 195 of 203
Den34
Guide

Yes, RSSI - 6 is awesome.  Low numbers are excellent.  Sixty-eight, 69, 70 is the range where the signal is getting too weak.  Sounds like your extender may be the problem.  

Message 196 of 203
bayoyong
Tutor

Ok, I will try that. I'm curious...when you click Live View does yours still say "Activating Device" before Live View appears? I was away for a week, and Live View would not work at all. Now that I'm home, it works pretty quickly...after a brief "Activating Device" screen appears.

Message 197 of 203
FURRYe38
Guru

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Received_signal_strength_indication

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/217271526-Understanding-RSSI-Values-and-Wireless-Signal-S...

@bayoyong wrote:

Signal strength is RSSI-6. Is that good?

The doorbell is fairly close to an Orbi satellite. And the ChimePro is right next to both. So yeah, maybe I will try taking the ChimePro out.

Message 198 of 203
Den34
Guide

Since assigning static IP and disabling both beamforming & MU-MIMO, when I click "Live View" I see, "Sending Request" and then instantly after that I see a live pic of my front yard.

Message 199 of 203
bayoyong
Tutor

Ok thx again so much for all of your help! I'll try removing the ChimePro and let you know if that helps.

Jeff

Message 200 of 203
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7