Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi and Ring products issues

rawbutt
Star

Re: Orbi and Ring products issues

Also, does anybody know if the Nest cams fare any better with these kinds of issues than Ring? Specifically the new Nest IQ Outdoor cams?
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 51 of 203
wildsubnet
Apprentice

Just wanted to give a 24 hour update...no issues with Ring so far on the TP-Link AP. 

Message 52 of 203
FURRYe38
Guru

I haven't had any issues with 3 cameras, 2 NEST controllers and the rest of my network. I disabled the following on the Orbi router:

Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliablity, & range for all mobile devices
MU-MIMO

1 Satellite attached using both wifi and LAN for back haul. 

@rawbuttwrote:
So is it pretty much a general consensus with this issue that unplugging all Orbi satellites and just running the router is the same as testing with a standalone (non mesh) router or does this issue still sometimes persist even with only the one Orbi router node running?

Message 53 of 203
rawbutt
Star

I apologize if this has already been answered, but does anyone have any explanation why my issues seem to be with live view and only when there is active motion? I am down to only the orbi router plugged in, no satellites the recommended options disabled and still having issues with Live View when there is motion but almost never when there is no motion.
Message 54 of 203
FURRYe38
Guru

Live View? 

@rawbuttwrote:
I apologize if this has already been answered, but does anyone have any explanation why my issues seem to be with live view and only when there is active motion? I am down to only the orbi router plugged in, no satellites the recommended options disabled and still having issues with Live View when there is motion but almost never when there is no motion.

Message 55 of 203
Roamabout
Luminary

@rawbuttwrote:

My Ring doorbell pro has always behaved like that, both pre and post Orbi. I always figured it was by design, ie the Ring doorbell is busy capturing video and uploading it to the Ring cloud and it cant do that and support a live view connection at the same time. I have no facts to corroborate that, it was just my rationalization.

Message 56 of 203
rawbutt
Star

Yes... My issues with accessing Live View seem to be only when there is motion. I tested it all morning with no issues one morning recently. Then when workers showed up in the backyard, I had issues from that point forward with Live View.
Message 57 of 203
Kaput5
Star

I think it is a correct assumption. I have a similar behavior with my cameras.

The logic would be that as the device is busy capturing the 30 seconds of video started by the motion, it will not go Live. In fact if you want to go Live when a motion has just been detected, click on your notification and it will take you to the Live feed.

Message 58 of 203
rawbutt
Star

Kap... I agree. I have even noticed that I have better luck if I click on the notification then I do the live feed button. But is that the way it is supposed to work? Shouldn't I be able to do a live feed at the same time it's capturing motion?
Message 59 of 203
rmadilao
Guide

You should be able to do both live view and motion capture recording. Its works for me but performance varies on camera location. The devices closer to the router have better live view performance while capturing motion. However, i have also experienced cameras getting overloaded if more than one is triggered. The live view signal is a raw feed while the motion capture is compressed on the Ring servers.
Message 60 of 203
rawbutt
Star

What exactly is the bottleneck when doing both? I have a 600/600 fiber connection so hard to imagine it's bandwidth.
Message 61 of 203
rmadilao
Guide

I have yet to figure out what the bottleneck is. I know your camera would still have to upload its feed to Ring and then you are downloading it back to view either Live or a recorded video. I wonder if the bottleneck is at Ring’s servers as it gets more and more popular with more people using them. If that were the case, your own internet bandwidth would be irrelevant. The key issue is, is the problem at your house or upstream with Rings server? Having said that, all 6 of my cams work great now. Good sound through mic and live view working with either self initiating or motion triggered.
Message 62 of 203
rawbutt
Star

This morning, I unplugged the Orbi altogether went back to the Netgear R6300 that came from my ISP.  It's just a basic 2.4/5Ghz non-mesh router.  I checked all 4 Ring cameras afterwards and verified that they all had a "Good" signal strenth rating in the Ring app.  The all had 52 or lower RSSI.  I still had issues connecting to Live View once it detected motion...things like following a family member from camera to camera as they walked around the house.  I'm considering abandoning Ring altogther and giving Nest a try.  I mean, if I can't get into Live View consistently when there is motion (i.e. an intruder), what good are the cams to me?

Message 63 of 203
rmadilao
Guide

@rawbutt   That sucks.  I got all of mine to work now with Live View with either self-initiating or motion triggered.   And its works quite fast too.   Have you tried contacting Ring and tell them you are using a regular single router and Live View still does not come up?    I'm actually having my Live View triggered by motion on my desktop machine right now as I'm typing this and it's working fantasic.   I do know that they have had to tweak and adjust some settings on their server side for my setup.   Perhaps, they have to do the same thing for you?

Message 64 of 203
rawbutt
Star

Well I think I may have figured out what my issue was with not being able to do Live View when there is motion.  I guess it was mainly a procedural thing on my end that just never dawned on me.  To date, I have always viewed the motion notification that comes down from the top of the Ring app as just informational in nature.  I would see it and then click the usual blue Live View button to try to go to whatever camera I just got notified about.  According to the Ring tech support rep I spoke with tonight, I am told that will not work and that I must be pressing the actual notification instead of the Live View button.  I apparently cannot give me the raw Live View feed while uploading the 30 second montion-triggered event to the Ring system.  So now I'm starting to wonder if this was really what I was experiencing with the Orbi when I originally assumed it was a mesh wifi issue.  I am going to go back to my Orbi tonight and troubleshoot it further now.

Message 65 of 203
rmadilao
Guide

@rawbutt .  Interesting.  TBH, I think it should work either way.  The thing is though, if you did have a motion triggered event happening, and you load the Ring App, it should automatically go to the Live View by itself.   It won't even give you a chance to touch anything in the app when a motion triggered event happens and you load the Ring App, UNLESS, you have motion alerts disabled for that camera.  Then it won't auto load the Live View.   Haha, confused yet?

Message 66 of 203
rawbutt
Star

@rmadilao   Actaully, the Ring app used to behave exactly like you described.  When motion was detected, it would automatically send you into Live View mode for the camera with motion, but after an update a while back, it now just gives you a notification at the top about the motion.

Message 67 of 203
wildsubnet
Apprentice

This isn’t a Ring issue, it’s something between Ring and Netgear. So maybe Nest cameras will work better (certainly my Nest thermostat stays connected to the Orbi). If you google around this issue pops up a lot in regards to Netgear routers (not just Orbi). 

Just to update, I haven’t had a single issue with Live View since taking the Orbi out of the equation. But again, that doesn’t mean the problem is necessarily with Netgear. It just means whatever is happening Netgear isn’t handling very well. The ring device could be doing something completely out of specification. It also means it will be very difficult for an end user to troubleshoot. Someone at Netgear and/or Ring needs to put these two devices in lab and do some real testing to figure out what the problem really is. 

Message 68 of 203
rmadilao
Guide

@rawbutt    Both my desktop app and mobile app automatically go into Live View video when motion is triggered while the app is running in the foreground and I'm on the latest versions.  I did experience what you described too a couple weeks ago where it wasn't automatically going into Live View with motion.  I deleted the app and re-installed it.   The update may have messed up something, but it works like before now.

I used to have all sorts of problems with Live View.  Now I simplified my setup to only 2 nodes with the Orbi Pro system.  (I attempted 3 and 4 nodes and there were constant issues, not just with Ring but with mobile phones, laptops, etc.  Too much interference).   Recently, replaced 3 out of 6 of my Ring cams under warranty.  Now everything is working great.  I've even been able to turn Implicit Beamforming and MU-MIMO back ON and it's all still working.

Message 69 of 203
rawbutt
Star

Has anyone compared the difference between the Ring app on an iPhone and an Android phone?  Wow.  I just tried this morning and could not believe the difference.  Everything is just much faster and smoother on iOS it seems.  I always thought the 7 second delay I had when clicking on Motion Settings | Motion Zones was normal but with an iPhone, it's instant.  Even Live View seems to perform better/faster in iOS.  It feels like iOS might have been the native OS for their code and they just ported over to Android.  I even found an option in the Ring app that only shows up on iOS and isn't there on an Android.  If you go into any of your cams' pages in the app and click on the gear icon at the top right, there's an toggle option called "Alerts Open Fullscreen Video".  This option is only in iOS apparently and explains my confusion about why my Android does not open Live View automatically when motion is detected like it used to...now just get the notification that I have to click on, but others were saying they were getting the automatic full screen.  I bet they were using an iPhone.

Hopefully with Amazon's acqusition of Ring announced yesterday, we'll see some nice new features and improvements!

Message 70 of 203
rmadilao
Guide

The "Alerts Open Fullscreen Video" button is relatively new with the recent APP update to support the iPhone X screen size (with the notch).  It wasn't always there.   Also, I have that setting disabled for all my cameras and I still have the Live View video automatically come up when it triggers motion as long as I'm in the RING app.   If I'm not in the RING app, then it just does a notification.    That new toggle setting may get annoying if it always opens fullscreen video regardless if you are in the RING app or not.

Message 71 of 203
rawbutt
Star

I am told today by Ring tech support that the Ring Alarm will be available "VERY VERY" soon and that we will get the Ring app major update at that time with multi-camera views, etc.  I'm hoping that maybe that will be basically a re-write of the code and that there won't be such a noticeable different between the performance of the iOS and Android versions.  

Message 72 of 203
rmadilao
Guide

Yeah, they're busy putting on the Amazon label on all the Ring products.   :))

You know, it could get worst instead of better as more features are added, if they didn't do a complete code re-write (which they almost never do).  😛 .     Hope for the best...

Message 73 of 203
rawbutt
Star

Just seems like Amazon likes to be on top at whatever they do and wouldn't want a black eye of any sort with this acquisition. And with all the Amazon money they have to throw at it, hoping it's impressive. Hoping for the best here as well!
Message 74 of 203
ianstephens
Tutor

Hi there,

I've just registered to also submit my frustration with Ring products.

We have a Doorbell 2 and a Floodlight Cam (hardwire power).

We have just purchased an Orbi Pro (base/1 satellite) and have had trouble ever since.  Having said that, we switched from 3x Apple Airport Extreme access points over to the Orbi system and all of the Ring products were equally useless on that too.

We have tried the ridiculous Chime Pro "booster" and video issues were even worse (freezing).

We are having the same issues as you guys; video freezing, pausing, live view timing out (not working at all), doorbell ring notifications not going through... etc.

I honestly believe the problem lies with the Ring hardware/firmware.  We have a good signal to all Ring devices (at least RSSI -50) but performance is shocking.  I don't think the radios in these little devices are that great.

Does anybody have a fix/update or have spoken to Netgear or Ring about these issues?  The Ring technical support line is not very "technical" at all and the support staff,  while very friendly and welcoming, are not very technically minded.

Any updates/fixes anybody has are greatly appreciated.

Model: SRS60| Orbi Pro Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 75 of 203
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7