Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and Samsung Robovac can only do 2.4ghz

Rikerrock
Tutor

Orbi and Samsung Robovac can only do 2.4ghz

I have a orbi system I bought from costco to replace an open mesh system because I needed some more parental controls etc.  The open mesh allowed me to assign several ssids (up to four) and choose if I want 2.4ghz or 5.0ghz or both.   The only way I was able to get my samsung wifi robovac to work was to setup a separate 2.4ghz ssid.  With the orbi I have no idea if this can be done.  I know 2.4ghz orbi is being sent out but for some reason the samsung robovac can't find the network.

Any suggestions

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Fortunately, you are not the first person to ask about this. Indeed, it comes up often, which is why the forum suggested this link:

Solved: Re: Switch from 5ghz to 2.4ghz - NETGEAR Communities

If that does not do it for you, then there are plenty more where that came from. For example:

Separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz- Orbi RBR50 - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 12
Rikerrock
Tutor

Thanks

Seems like Netgear could easily fix this.

Message 3 of 12

Or Samsung?

It made the stuff that does not know what to do when it sees SSIDs.

Message 4 of 12
Rikerrock
Tutor

My old open mesh system allowed me to create up to 4 ssids and choose which bands each could have 2.4 or 5 or both.  I created one for just samsung robovac.  Would be a nice feature on the orbi.  But agree, samsung could fix too.    Doesn't the nighthawk router allow this?

Message 5 of 12

@Rikerrock wrote:

Doesn't the nighthawk router allow this?

Yes. But Orbi is not Nighthawk.

Orbi is supposed to be easier to use and lacks some of the manageability of Nighthawk routers.

The Orbi is delivering wifi at 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. Both are using the same SSID. A 2.4 GHz client will not see the 5 GHz wifi. Quite why Samsung's kit can't cope with that is puzzling. But it is hardly Netgear's fault.

Message 6 of 12
Rikerrock
Tutor

Yes, odd samsung can't get their act together.  I have plenty of other devices that are only 2.4ghz that need to connect to that band and have no problems doing so (netcams, thermostats, power outlets etc). 

Just would be nice if netgear could add more features like that and the ability to choose what satelite things can connect to.  I have one router and four satelites throughout my house to cover everything.  Maybe overkill?  Each satelite is connected via hardwire gigabit back to main orbi router.

Message 7 of 12
SimonBelgium
Guide

My Samsung Robovac had no problem connecting to my Orbi. Just make sure it's close to the base station when you're setting it up.

Message 8 of 12
Rikerrock
Tutor

Which robovac?  I've got a satelite about 15 ft from the vac and a total of 5 orbi units in my house.  Is it poss that I have too many orbi's?

The vac can find the ssid?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 12

@Rikerrock wrote:

Just would be nice if netgear could add more features like that and the ability to choose what satelite things can connect to. 

I agree. If Netgear wants to be a player in the internet of junk game then it should do as much as possible to accommodate the wrinkles that other makers create.

All those claims about ease of use and fancy apps should mean something

Ironically, the old and "complicated" Nighthawk technology can be easier to use. You can just press a button to turn off the 5 GHz wifi on some devices. Then  there is the WPS option.

Message 10 of 12

Maybe the "base station" bit that @SimonBelgium mentioned is the key to it.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Users can temporatily disable the 5Ghz SSID Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings on the RBR while they get there 2.4Ghz devices connected to Orbil. Afterwards, just re-enabled the 5Ghz SSID. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7