Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi and Sky Q

goblea
Star

Orbi and Sky Q

I am having lots of connectivity issues with my Sky Q and sky minis in my house, has anyone got any work arounds or setup tips.  I have no option for fixed cabling and my setup is a Sky router with my orbi router connected into the sky router as an access point.  I have an orbi at each sky box location (the Q and 2 mini's) and have tried connecting via wifi and cabled to the orbi satelite but still seeing network connectivity issues even though the orbis are performing as expected for other non sky devices. 

Im sure this is more Sky mesh issue but at a loss with my minis mostly unuseable, also had a sky engineer round who said he had green lights for everything s not much they can do.

Any help would be greatful.

Thanks 

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi and Sky Q

There have been a number of posts about SkyQ in the past.  (There's a search box in the upper left part of the web page.)  Maybe one of those posts relates to your issue?

Message 2 of 5
goblea
Star

Thanks I’ve been through the posts and most say go wired which isn’t an option due to house layout. I have followed some suggestions but not working for me.
Message 3 of 5
tricky01
Aspirant

I'm having similar problem, and as you, not able to go to ethernet. I have to say this thread on here (or at least the original post) was most similar to my sitaution, so annoying that Netgear prevent replying in older threads like that.

I got a Sky Q booster from Sky under the impression it would boost the hidden Sky Q mesh so that I'd get better signal out in our conservatory where things stream ok but it's very slow to respond to remote instructions that involve fast forwarding or rewinding. My home wifi via Orbi is plenty strong in the conservatory so it's clearly a Sky Q mesh problem.

So the Booster arrived, I followed the instructions to pair it to the main Sky Q box, but it just caused major problems across Sky Q. Each box would *either* have a tick on 'connection to Sky Q box' OR on 'Network Connection'. After lots of resetting and restarting the booster and all Q boxes (both mini boxes and main box), still no help. I started getting DHCP errors when setting up mini boxes which I thought might be the Booster trying to do too much, so I decided to try to connect my laptop to the Booster via Ethernet and have a look at settings. I was very surprised then to find the Orbi settings page when connected to the Booster. Rather than only extending Sky Q hidden network it seems it's just trying to repeat the Orbi signal. I suspect this is why the mini's were choosing between Sky Q OR Network connection.

I don't have any answers I'm afraid, except to say that I don't think Sky Q booster helps

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 5
simonpjc
Aspirant

Have you actually disabled wifi in the Sky Q boxes?  Otherwise they tend to try and do their own mesh thing regardless of whether or not they have an ethernet connection, so it may be that when you thought they were wired to your Orbi satellites they weren't actually using the connection to the Orbis and were instead still trying to do their own mesh wifi (which won't be helping your own Orbi mesh).

To disable the Sky Q wifi...

Plug the ethernet cable in (and connect to your Orbi satellites in your case).

Press the ‘Home’ button on your Sky remote control.
Scroll down to ‘Settings’.
When you arrive at ‘Settings’ please do not press the enter/select button.
Enter the sequence 001 and press the enter/select button.

You will now enter the engineering menu. The message “These settings should only be changed if you’ve been instructed to by Sky” will pop up.

Now select the ‘Network’ menu. Here you have the options to separately turn 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless on or off. You also have the opportunity to set the channel(s) used by the 5 GHz Wi-Fi. Make sure you turn off both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and select ‘Confirm’.

That should hopefuly force the Sky Q boxes to use the ethernet connection (and they shouldn't even care that the ethernet connection to the satellites is actually over a wireless backhaul).

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7