Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and Sky

walkerx
Guide

Orbi and Sky

I heard that netgear had enabled the ability for some of their devices to work with Sky and its MER configuration, does anyone know if this will happen with the Netgear Orbi or are we assigned to using these as AP's only.

Sky have now relaxed the use of 3rd party routers on their network and have started allowing customers to use them, so it would be good if the Orbi could be configured to work with Sky's MER instead of having to use another device to do the authenication

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You would need to contact Sky and ask them what specifically they support on there system for use with there ISP hardware. See if they support the Orbi working on there system handling the ISP connection. 

Message 2 of 16
walkerx
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You would need to contact Sky and ask them what specifically they support on there system for use with there ISP hardware. See if they support the Orbi working on there system handling the ISP connection. 

Sky will not divulge that information to any customer, but the router has to be able to support MER connections using Option 60/61

Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Might contact NG support and see then. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

If the Sky modem offers a DMZ option on there modem HW, then you could use the Orbi in router mode. If not, and Orbi doesn't support this MER configuration, then AP modem would be last resort. 

Message 4 of 16
walkerx
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Might contact NG support and see then. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

If the Sky modem offers a DMZ option on there modem HW, then you could use the Orbi in router mode. If not, and Orbi doesn't support this MER configuration, then AP modem would be last resort. 

I currently use a HG612 as modem, then Opnsense for the connection with the Orbi being used as AP for Wifi access only

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you replace the Opensence with the Orbi RBR in place with the modem. Doe it not work? 

Message 6 of 16
walkerx
Guide

nope i couldn't get it to work as found nowhere to enter the dhcp option 60/61

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably not supported then for Orbi as the main router. Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 16
Steven_Belfast
Apprentice

@walkrex
Why not just use the Sky Hub in conjunction with Orbi

That’s the way I am using it.
Orbi in Ap mode, wireless disabled on the Sky Hub and it works fantastic.
Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Does your modem have a DMZ feature? 

@Steven_Belfast wrote:
@walkrex

Message 10 of 16
Steven_Belfast
Apprentice

@FURRYe38

The Sky Hub’s do have the option,
However I do not use it.
Once Orbi is set to AP mode all firewall function are turned off on Orbi and so only the Sky Hub uses a firewall.

I also have DHCP off on Orbi and it’s handled by the Sky Hub 2
Message 11 of 16
walkerx
Guide

@Steven_Belfast wrote:
@walkrex

I use a HG612 which is better than the Sky Hubs, the Sky Hubs are prone to Sky's updates which can render parts useless, also when u get an update the hub can reboot and thus disconnect the VDSL sync, also certain changes on the hub will cause it to reboot - the sky hubs are rubbish for port forwarding and security.

Using OpnSense (similar to pfsense) gives me the ability to configure firewall rules and allows for aliases, provides better network statistics. allows me to make multiple configurations without dropping the vdsl.

@FURRYe38 U don't need to have a DMZ configured for using the Orbi in AP mode, if you do and have it set to be on the DMZ then you are risking trouble as you will not be properly firewalled as most features are turned off in AP mode. You would have to be in Router mode for the full features to be available, which then causes further issues with double nat.

Message 12 of 16
Steven_Belfast
Apprentice

@walkrex
Ah understandable.
Regards the giving out details, no real need for them.

Authentication is done via service id on Sky vdsl

So you can enter anything you like for options 60/61

One thing to bare in mind is due to limitations of how the server handles requests it can take up to any hour for PPP to be established.
Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I was curious, for some DMZ can be used if Orbi users want to use the Orbi base as a router and use its routing functions. What DMZ IS for when having two routers on the same network. However of course, Orbi in AP mode works too if more advanced users want to use other routers or firewalls in there configurations. 

Good Luck. 

Message 14 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi All,

Did anyone ever get an answer to the below.

"I heard that netgear had enabled the ability for some of their devices to work with Sky and its MER configuration, does anyone know if this will happen with the Netgear Orbi or are we assigned to using these as AP's only.

Sky have now relaxed the use of 3rd party routers on their network and have started allowing customers to use them, so it would be good if the Orbi could be configured"

This is not really a question for Sky. It's more does the Orbi support it.

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I would ask the ISP of they have any information on weather orbi works with there modems. They should have some info on configuration of there ISP settings that are needed and if any other hardware is required for there services. 

If there modems have a built in router, his would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options to try out,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Option #2 would be the place to start first to see if Orbi works. 

I would contact NG support as well to see if they have any information regarding specific ISP configurations. https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

@Retired_Member wrote:

Hi All,

Did anyone ever get an answer to the below.

"I heard that netgear had enabled the ability for some of their devices to work with Sky and its MER configuration, does anyone know if this will happen with the Netgear Orbi or are we assigned to using these as AP's only.

Sky have now relaxed the use of 3rd party routers on their network and have started allowing customers to use them, so it would be good if the Orbi could be configured"

This is not really a question for Sky. It's more does the Orbi support it.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7