Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and Wifi 6

HugoWillems
Aspirant

Orbi and Wifi 6

I consider purchasing a Lenovo Yoqa C940 15" .in the specs it says 'Wifi 6 modem required' .

Will this work with a Orbi RBR 50 ?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

The tech specs for this Lenovo say that the connectivity is

• 802.11AX (2 x 2) WiFi 6
  • Bluetooth® 5.0

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/yoga/c-series/yoga-c940-15 

Both of these standards are "backward compatible" with previous WiFi and Bluetooth standards.  What that means is it will connect to "everything".  If you happen upon a WiFi 6 access point, the Lenovo will "talk WiFi 6" to it.  Likewise, if you happen to purchase a device that has Bluetooth 5, it will work at (however Bluetooth 5 is "better" than Bluetooth 4.1).

Looks cool.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
Flash008
Luminary

Simple answer is NO.

Orbi is a WIFI 5 product. Although your new WIFI 6 device will work with WIFI 5 and older technology (AKA; Orbi). Orbi will not give you the new WIFI 6 features advertised.

WIFI 6 is still very early and has not penetrated the market. Perhaps in 12 months you will see more WIFI 6. But as of now, your WIFI 6 device is practically useless.

I am sure you can find a WIFI router from Netgear or ASUS or elsewhere that will give you WIFI 6 technology. It will be expensive and your device will be the only thing that can use it for the nearby future.

Message 2 of 4
HugoWillems
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. I don't intend to setup a WIFI 6 network at my office. I was merely confused that Lenovo mentioned that WIFI 6 is required for their C940 Notebook.

All I needed to know is whether a wifi 6 notebook will work on a WIFI 5 network.

It seems the answer is Yes, so I can purchase that notebook

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

The tech specs for this Lenovo say that the connectivity is

• 802.11AX (2 x 2) WiFi 6
  • Bluetooth® 5.0

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/yoga/c-series/yoga-c940-15 

Both of these standards are "backward compatible" with previous WiFi and Bluetooth standards.  What that means is it will connect to "everything".  If you happen upon a WiFi 6 access point, the Lenovo will "talk WiFi 6" to it.  Likewise, if you happen to purchase a device that has Bluetooth 5, it will work at (however Bluetooth 5 is "better" than Bluetooth 4.1).

Looks cool.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7