Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi and Xbox issue

AV8TR
Aspirant

Orbi and Xbox issue

Ever since a recent power failure, I am unable to download required files to play GTA on my xbox. Internet seems to work fine with all other devices. I connect wirelessly to my Orbi system. I have the latest firmware on the router and both satellites. I'm think a setting must have changed during the power failure because prior to the power going out, my xbox worked fine! Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Ed

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Orbi and Xbox issue

@AV8TR wrote:

Ever since a recent power failure, I am unable to download required files to play GTA on my xbox. Internet seems to work fine with all other devices. I connect wirelessly to my Orbi system. I have the latest firmware on the router and both satellites. I'm think a setting must have changed during the power failure because prior to the power going out, my xbox worked fine! Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Ed

My Xbox asked me the other night to sign in (user name/password), not normally required.  Yours sounds more of a case where it (Xbox) lost its wifi (?).  Perhaps unplug, re-boot and re-configure with the Orbi.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the Mfr and model of the ISP Modem that the Orbi router is connected too? Any build in router here.

Try connecting the xbox via ethernet cable to the router and see if you get anything. I would hold the power button on the front of the xbox untill it shuts off then turn back on after 5 seconds. Check networking status and advanced settings to see if it got an IP address and check xbox services. Also NAT should be OPEN. 

@AV8TR wrote:

Thanks,

Ed

Message 3 of 5
AV8TR
Aspirant

Thanks! Funny thing is, when I take the xbox to a friends house, it works fine leading me to believe that the issue is not the xbox but either the Orbi system or cable modem (Cisco DPC3941T). Yes this modem has built-in WiFi but I have that feature turned of in favor of the much better Orbi router and satellites.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the modem fully bridged? if not, then you could still be in a double NAT condition as you would have a router on the modem and a router with the Orbi on the same line. This is not recommended for game consoles and online gaming.

https://www.cnet.com/products/cisco-model-dpc3941t-docsis-3-0-24x4-wireless-residential-voice-gatewa...

A few options:

Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router modem. DMZ will help with the double NAT condition.
Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP modem on the Orbi router.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7