Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and extender

WRPowers
Tutor

Orbi and extender

I have recently installed an RBK50 Tri-band router and satellite  - both on either end of the main level of my house.   I have a basement location were there seems to be s signal "null" where a security camera can't connect.  Is it possible to use an existing Netgear EX6100 as an extender to keep from haivng to purchase a second RBS50?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

@JoeCymru wrote:

Let me spend your money. Rather than trying to go really low cost (and I have one of those Netgear extenders if you really want to go cheap ... I put it away when I got Orbi because one of my main goals was to make that mickey mouse EX6100 go away and get rid of the multiple SSID's).

If it was me, for filling the hole, I would go with a cheaper, smaller Orbi. Say an RBS20 add on, or and RBW30 add on. Again, it is your money, but for all the hassle of using an extender with Orbi for what it is actually going to put out, I would throw some additional bucks at it (but not for another RBS50 for sure). Just my opinion, naturally.

For this application, to cover a security camera in a basement, where no roaming is needed, I really don’t see an advantage for using an Orbi satellite over an extender apart from central management. 

An additional satellite will have the same or more level of noise on the existing Orbi wifi network. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 14

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

Yes, but please make sure the extender uses a different SSID than Orbi's, so that your devices will not start roaming to the extender.

Please note that the extender will use the same radio channel(s) as Orbi's and will have some noise on Orbi in the area that the extender has range overlap with Orbi. If the traffic in the extender is not high this noise will have minimal effect.

Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

You can give it a try and see if it will connect and help extend the signal some. Just be aware there maybe differences in connetion rates and speeds between the Orbi and EX6100. If it doesn't seem to work well, I would get you same RBS50 satellite to place down in the base ment. 

Message 3 of 14
WRPowers
Tutor

Home is about 5000 sf.  Straignt line distance between the router and satellite is appx 55 ft. - two walls in between.  Camera one floor below about half way between the two.  Could be the best solution is just another satellite.  Just though I'd try repurposing the previous extender.  Thanks for your response.

Message 4 of 14
WRPowers
Tutor

How do you set an SSID for the extender?  I thought it just mirrored whatever the SSID was for the host router.  Wouldn't mind having the security cameras on a different network.  Just thought I'd try it before springing for another Orbi satellite.  Thanks.

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You don't set an SSID for the extender, the extender will automatically use the same SSID as what is coming from from Orbi wifi. 

Message 6 of 14
ekhalil
Master

@WRPowers wrote:

How do you set an SSID for the extender?  I thought it just mirrored whatever the SSID was for the host router.  Wouldn't mind having the security cameras on a different network.  Just thought I'd try it before springing for another Orbi satellite.  Thanks.

It depends on your extender. In most modern extenders you should be able to set the extended network SSID. I have two extenders at home from D-Link (2 different models, one of them is DAP-1620) where you can choose either to keep the same SSID or extend with the same SSID. You can also set different SSID's for the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks. Please see below from the setup wizard in the extender's app:

Namnlöst.png

Message 7 of 14
ekhalil
Master

I checked your extender Netgear EX6100 and it has the same possibility. Please check the manual on: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX6100/EX6100_IG_27Nov2013.pdf

Namnlöst 3.png

Message 8 of 14
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Let me spend your money. Rather than trying to go really low cost (and I have one of those Netgear extenders if you really want to go cheap ... I put it away when I got Orbi because one of my main goals was to make that mickey mouse EX6100 go away and get rid of the multiple SSID's).

If it was me, for filling the hole, I would go with a cheaper, smaller Orbi. Say an RBS20 add on, or and RBW30 add on. Again, it is your money, but for all the hassle of using an extender with Orbi for what it is actually going to put out, I would throw some additional bucks at it (but not for another RBS50 for sure). Just my opinion, naturally.

Message 9 of 14
ekhalil
Master

@JoeCymru wrote:

For this application, to cover a security camera in a basement, where no roaming is needed, I really don’t see an advantage for using an Orbi satellite over an extender apart from central management. 

An additional satellite will have the same or more level of noise on the existing Orbi wifi network. 

Message 10 of 14
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

@ekhalil

As I said, just my opinion. My thought would be that the original post described lack of coverage only ("null") and if one wanted to use the area for things more than just hooking up a camera now or in the future, or add additional smart devices, then there would be the same network with a single SSID and cental mangement and potentially less hassle and better coverage than the EX61000. Also it would give the ability to switch around the Orbis in the future if home use changed. Life simplified for some extra bucks. 

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if you were able to get the extender working for your needs and if it worked or not for you. 

@WRPowers wrote:

Message 12 of 14
WRPowers
Tutor

Thanks for the feedback.  I agree the best approach is to not be so cheap and simply add another satellite.  Having the main level covered by the router and first satellite and adding a second satellite for the basement is certainly the better way to go.  I think it'll also help to avoid any issues related to HVAC ducts interfering with transmission.

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll be good to go. Let us know how it turns out. 

@WRPowers wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.  I agree the best approach is to not be so cheap and simply add another satellite.  Having the main level covered by the router and first satellite and adding a second satellite for the basement is certainly the better way to go.  I think it'll also help to avoid any issues related to HVAC ducts interfering with transmission.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7