Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi and other Routers

Lgossin
Aspirant

Orbi and other Routers

I am interested in setting up an Orbi system. I currently have a nighthawk router. My plan would be to turn off the wifi in the nighthawk and just use it as a router. the cat 5 from the cable modem would go to the nighthawk (or a generic router) and then to the Orbi and potentially have a second satellite also plugged into the nighthawk. It is my understanding that you can back haul a satellite to the main router. . They would all be on the same network so to speak. The big issue is I want to set up the Orbi router in a more central location then have 1 or 2 satellites. I also have a couple of other hardwired connections off the current router that I can't give up. Worst case I will need to run another cat 5 to the potential Orbi location then back from that to the old router or a satellite and then to my other hardwired connection

any help or advice would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi and other Routers

Yes you would need to run ethernet from the orbi to the main router and then you can connect the satellite via wireless or wired.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
Lgossin
Aspirant

Re: Orbi and other Routers

That is what I thought. Thanks for clarifying I will most likely have the main Orbi router and 1 satellite hanging off a router that is connected to the Internet.

I appreciate the repsonse

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7