Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi and printer on one network, PC on another

JeffBaker
Tutor

Orbi and printer on one network, PC on another

Hi- just got my new Orbi set up and pretty happy.  But having some printer and file sharing trouble.  A main PC and the Orbi are both plugged into cable modem, which hands out DHCP addresses.  So main PC and Orbi are 192.168.1.x.  And everything that connects to the Orbi gets handed a 10.0.0.x address.  So the PC is on the cable modem 192 network, but the printer is on the Orbi network.  The PC can't see the printer.  Also, I have a Roku TV on the Orbi network that can't see the PC.  Sorry for the novice question, but how to fix?

Thanks,

Jeff

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi and printer on one network, PC on another

You need to connect your PC to the Orbi along with the printer.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 8
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

According to the Orbi manual, page 90, you want to connect the WAN port of the Orbi to a LAN port of the existing modem/router before setting AP mode on the Orbi.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Either will work. 

Message 4 of 8
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

Perhaps, but LAN ports are a scarce resource on the Orbi router. Might as well use the WAN port and save a LAN port for the LAN.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

One can always add a non managed swtich to the back of the RBR for additional ports. I use many behind my router. 

Message 6 of 8
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

Let’s review.

LAN-LAN works, but consumes a LAN port.

WAN-LAN works without consuming a LAN port.

Ergo, you should revise your copy’n’paste response to advise using the WAN port when it works.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Its just a suggestion...

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements