Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi and the Arlo Q

JoshBear
Aspirant

Orbi and the Arlo Q

Hi All

Pls can I have some help. I have an orbi 50 with 6 satellites and all is working very very well (most of the time) with the exception of an arlo Q camera.

The camera connects after setup and sometimes will stay connected for a few days and other times just for a few hours and then needs to be rebooted to connect again. Thinking it was an issue with the Q which was quite old I bought a new one and the new one does exactly the same thing!!!

I have moved the old Q to an annex where we have a netgear router with its own WiFi network and the q stays connected. So this appears to be an orbi issue.

Please can someone help as this is the Dog cam and we like to keep an eye on our pug (trouble magnet).
Thanks.
Josh
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi and the Arlo Q

Sounds like a place to post in the Arlo camera forums since this is a problem with the camera and not the ORbi system:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Forum-Discussions/ct-p/arlo-forum-discussions

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 5
JoshBear
Aspirant

Thanks. Will try those things.   I do see this as an Orbi issue as the camera works perfectly in the annex which uses a different Wi-fi network. 

Regards

josh

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@JoshBear wrote:
Pls can I have some help. I have an orbi 50 with 6 satellites and all is working very very well (most of the time) with the exception of an arlo Q camera.

Six satellites, wow!  Either a very large house, or perhaps some of the satellites are too close together?  Does the Arlo Q fail if placed in different locations in the house?  (or, the new Arlo Q for that matter).

I have no engineering knowledge of how the Orbi mesh works to control signal levels.  As a hypothesis (which is probably entirely incorrect), suppose the Arlo connects to one satellite, but then the signal level from that satellite drops and the satellite thinks, "heck, the WiFi went away."  Nah, probably not the case at all.  Still, if it works on a different WiFi, maybe it works in a different location on the original WiFi, maybe even in a different part of the room.

Message 4 of 5
JoshBear
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.   Yes a large house and one that has a couple of things that impact the Wi-fi signal e.g. a four oven aga that anything beyond struggled to get a signal before I got additional satellites.   Also I have sky q mini boxes connected by network cable to some of the satellites which has been the only way to keep a stable connection.   

If if the other suggestion above has no impact will try what you suggests.  

Thanks

josh

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7