Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi and vertical signal

iayork
Aspirant

Orbi and vertical signal

I just installed an RBR50 router and satellite to replace the Pace 5268AC AT&T fiber modem. Both router and satellite are on my main floor, and they seem to be doing very well on that floor. But they don't seem to reach up or down stairs very well.

I have upstairs bedrooms that are maybe 10 vertical and 15 horizontal feet away from the RBR50 router, but that are only getting maybe 50 Mbps. A similar distance away on the main floor gets me maybe 500 Mbps, and the 5268AC modem delivers over 200 Mbps to those bedrooms, so there doesn't seem to be any wifi blocking material in the way.

The basement is similar though not as drastic. Even fairly close to the router I get around 100 Mbps.

If need be I can get an additional satellite for upstairs, but if there's a way to improve vertical signal propagation that might be easier and cheaper.

This discussion suggests that "directly above and below the units are probably the weakest points". Could it be that the router is actually too close to the bedrooms? 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi and vertical signal

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

The ISP modems Wifi maybe interferring.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 11
randomousity
Luminary

Have you considered putting your satellite on the second floor? Having your router on one floor, and then the satellite on another floor, and a different side of the house (e.g., the east end of the house downstairs, and the west end of it upstairs) might give you better coverage. You just have to make sure the satellite has a good backhaul connection, and then the devices on the second floor might have an easier time connecting with the satellite (or the router, through the floor, depending on which is closer) than they are now.

Message 3 of 11
iayork
Aspirant

Have you considered putting your satellite on the second floor?

That doesn't really make sense in my layout. The 2nd floor isn't a full floor, just two bedrooms, and they're right beside the router. Meanwhile the first floor is much larger, and I've placed the satellite about 30 feet away to get full coverage there. 

As I say, the bedrooms are literally 15 feet away from the router, and the AT&T modem delivered good signal to them. I'll put a satellite in if I have to, but it seems like Orbi should be able to deliver a good signal for 15-20 feet.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to disable ALL wireless radios on the ISP modem. The Orbi router alone can cover up to about 30 feet, so placement of the satellite should start here. I have mine at 40 feet, wood and dry wall construction. Great coverage and performance for 5000sq ft home. two story home and basement.

@iayork wrote:

Have you considered putting your satellite on the second floor?

That doesn't really make sense in my layout. The 2nd floor isn't a full floor, just two bedrooms, and they're right beside the router. Meanwhile the first floor is much larger, and I've placed the satellite about 30 feet away to get full coverage there. 

As I say, the bedrooms are literally 15 feet away from the router, and the AT&T modem delivered good signal to them. I'll put a satellite in if I have to, but it seems like Orbi should be able to deliver a good signal for 15-20 feet.

Message 5 of 11
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi iayork, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

There is a new firmware released for RBK50. Kindly update the firmware to 2.2.1.210. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000060273/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-2-1-210

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 6 of 11
iayork
Aspirant

Appreciate the replies, but none were helpful. My upstairs bedroom signal is still very slow with the Orbi in spite of (1) Great Orbi signal elsewhere in the house and (2) much better wifi signal from the original router in that area. 

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you teste with just the Orbi router alone while the satellite was turned off? 

@Blanca_O

@iayork wrote:

Appreciate the replies, but none were helpful. My upstairs bedroom signal is still very slow with the Orbi in spite of (1) Great Orbi signal elsewhere in the house and (2) much better wifi signal from the original router in that area. 

Message 8 of 11
iayork
Aspirant

I did. It made no difference at all, surprisingly.  In any case I have the original wifi turned off now and the signal is still relatively slow in that area only.

Message 9 of 11
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi iayork, 

Have you tried changing the channel on the router?  You may want to try to play around with the channels to see which channel is best to use. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 10 of 11
iayork
Aspirant

Thanks, I just tried varying the channels; I did find one that gives slightly better speeds to the rest of the house (e.g. 420 instead of 350 Mbps), but the problematic areas were basically unchanged, still 40 or less. 

The change from high to low speed is quite abrupt as I enter the 2nd floor, making me wonder if there's some metal or other interference in a wall, but that doesn't explain why the old router was able to deliver 200 Mbps to the same place.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7