Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi as AP 2.4 and 5ghz

Knicks1met
Aspirant

Orbi as AP 2.4 and 5ghz

I am trying to set up the Orbi as an access point. I have my existing router as the main router with a different ssid for 2.4 and the 5ghz. When i set up the Orbi access point, what name should I give the ssid? The same as the 2.4 or the 5ghz? If I name it the same as one of them does that mean that it will use that band? Is there anyway to use both bands?
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

This is not the intended use of the Netgear Orbi.  Most people when installing an Orbi turn off the WiFi on their primary router.  Orbi is more "consumer oriented" and lacks some of the management tools that other routers have, so some users prefer to keep their existing router for its router functions, but turn off the WiFi.

Orbi will automatically hand off devices from router to satellite and from 2.4G to 5G (and back) as they move around.  Traditional routers do not do that.

Others may give more detailed responses.  My guess is that you are not going to be happy.

Message 2 of 6
Knicks1met
Aspirant

the problem I'm having is that the connection is constantly poor. My phone or tablet will show full Wifi bars but when I try to load a webpage, the page does not load.  The only way to get it working again is to turn off wifi from my device, turn it back on and then it will connect.  I'm trying to figure out the best way to set up the Orbi so it does not do this. 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO.

The best way to setup Orbi is with a PC or laptop and a web browser. 

@Knicks1met wrote:

the problem I'm having is that the connection is constantly poor. My phone or tablet will show full Wifi bars but when I try to load a webpage, the page does not load.  The only way to get it working again is to turn off wifi from my device, turn it back on and then it will connect.  I'm trying to figure out the best way to set up the Orbi so it does not do this. 

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Knicks1met wrote:

So, the goal is to have good Internet access, not  necessarily to add Orbi WiFi to the existing WiFi.  However, you are "stuck" because all of the WiFi devices around your house have been configured with one of the two (different) WiFi names.  And, you probably are not excited about reconfiguring a bunch of devices.

Did the problem exist before installing the Orbi?  In other words, is the Orbi intended to "fix" an existing problem, or did the problem begin when the Orbi was installed?

We usually ask about how Internet is provided, starting with:

Who is the Internet Service Provider (ISP)?

What brand and specific model of modem/router is connected to the ISP?

Does this modem/router (a) act as a "router" or a "bridge"?  (b) have WiFi that is active?

What specific brand & model of WiFi router is already connected to the modem/router?

Message 5 of 6
ekhalil
Master

@Knicks1met wrote:
I am trying to set up the Orbi as an access point. I have my existing router as the main router with a different ssid for 2.4 and the 5ghz. When i set up the Orbi access point, what name should I give the ssid? The same as the 2.4 or the 5ghz? If I name it the same as one of them does that mean that it will use that band? Is there anyway to use both bands?
  1. It's important that the radio channels you use on the ISP router for the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands are different than the channels you select in Orbi.
  2. If you make sure the above is secured, then you can also use the same SSID in the ISP router and in Orbi. Yes, some devices will not like that, but most newer devices will be ok. You can also name the 2.4 and 5 GHz with the same SSID in the ISP router so you have one single SSID in the whole system. Just make sure the radio channels are not interfering.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7