Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi as AP; Will a better router improve speeds?

Panoply
Follower

Orbi as AP; Will a better router improve speeds?

Hello, I have a few qns regarding using my Orbi in AP mode. 

Right now I have it set up like what's shown on the Netgear website. I was just wondering if upgrading my router will affect my wired and wireless speeds? My current router is a Aztech DSL7002GRV(S) given by my service provider and I was toying with the idea of changing it to one of the higher end Netgear or Asus models. 

Also, does all wired connections have to come out of the Orbi? On the Netgear site, it is shown that for AP mode I have to plug my computer to the Orbi, which in turn plugs into my router. Does this apply for all other wired devices that I want to plug in? The device in question is a home TV setup that I have. 

Thanks in advance!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Re: Orbi as AP; Will a better router improve speeds?

A new router will not affect your WiFi speeds.  A new router will only increase your wired speeds if your current router is slower than your Internet connection.

No. If your router has a spare ethernet port, you can connect another switch or your computer to your router.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

Re: Orbi as AP; Will a better router improve speeds?

A new router will not affect your WiFi speeds.  A new router will only increase your wired speeds if your current router is slower than your Internet connection.

No. If your router has a spare ethernet port, you can connect another switch or your computer to your router.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7