Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi as AP not seeing wired backhaul sattelites

Jeffss
Aspirant

Orbi as AP not seeing wired backhaul sattelites

I have an Orbi and 4 satellites.  It was unreliable and "quirky" for a while and I decided to try offloading the routing/switching to a dedicated router and switch, using the Orbi as an access point only.  The orbi system is now in AP mode and appers to work and the rest of the network is stable.

What is happening is, when I look at the Orbi's attached devices, it shows only two of the four sattelites (the ones not connected via ethernet backhaul).  The other two don't appear.  What makes this even stranger is, if I log into the "missing" sattelites, they are up, running, and have users connected to them. 

So, is something configured wrong?  Is this just yet another bug in what is clearly very buggy firmware?

I am on the latest firmware on all hardware (2.1.4.10).

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi as AP not seeing wired backhaul sattelites

Whats the Mfr and model# of the other router and switch?

What mode are you using the Orbi system in? Router or AP mode?

Message 2 of 10
Jeffss
Aspirant

The Orbi is in AP mode

The Router is a Ubiquity Edgerouter pro

There are a couple of switches.  Netgear, and Cisco.  All are Gb switches.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model# of these switches?

Any of them managed switches?

@Jeffss wrote:

The Orbi is in AP mode

The Router is a Ubiquity Edgerouter pro

There are a couple of switches.  Netgear, and Cisco.  All are Gb switches.

Message 4 of 10
WAP
Apprentice
Apprentice

I essentially see the same thing you see with your ethernet backhaul.  Other commentors have chalked it up to a display issue only (but yes it is a bug)

Message 5 of 10
Jeffss
Aspirant

The Netgear switches are all unmanaged. The Cisco is managed. It is a SG200-18

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, can you try this? Remove the Cisco managed switch from the mix and see if anything different happens?

Managed switches seems to cause problems with Orbi systems. One user found that disabling IGMP proctocols ON the managed switch seems to help with managed switches and Orbi systems. Something you could look into...

Message 7 of 10
Jeffss
Aspirant

I'll try taking the managed switch out of the mix but that will take a bit of time to manage.  In the mean time I checked the switch and it doesn't appear that IGMP is enabled anyway. 

Message 8 of 10
tsig
Luminary

there is something wrong with the displayed devices in the orbi app.  I have a doorbell that doesn't show up at all, but works fine.  Log into your router and see if you can see the devices that way.  If everything is working, I wouldn't worry about it.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, wanted to check. Please test with out the managed switch. After testing, then readd it.

@Jeffss wrote:

I'll try taking the managed switch out of the mix but that will take a bit of time to manage.  In the mean time I checked the switch and it doesn't appear that IGMP is enabled anyway. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7