Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi as Airties4920 replacement

MichaelFrandsen
Aspirant

Orbi as Airties4920 replacement

Hi community,

I am currently looking for a replacement mesh from my provider supplied Airties4920.

I am using the airties to use the LAN port for an Android box that have no AC wifi capability, and the cabled Airties4920 does.

I am however not satisfied with the quality of the wifi blanket it makes, and am looking at the RBK50 as possible replacement.

My question is if it is possible to attach a LAN cable to the sattelites and get dhcp supplied IP this way, or if it is only possible to connect using wifi?

Thanks in advance.

Br Michael

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes, the Orbi supports attaching devices through the satellite ethernet and gives you great speed doing that. You cannot however attach a satellite through ethernet to the router yet - as it does not support ethernet backhaul in this firmware release - perhaps in the future.

Message 2 of 4
MichaelFrandsen
Aspirant

My intention is not to attach satellites via cable, but solely to rely on a good wireless connection. The Airties seem very limited in its range, and I am very close to returning them to my internet provider. Currently it seems that the 5Ghz channel/mesh has lost connection and even Netflix has problems getting data.

Message 3 of 4
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Depending on what you mean by limited in range - The Orbi has a great connection to it's satellites thru 5Ghz band, but you know that is a limited range band. Generally you will want your satellites to be 50 feet or less from your router unless there is no walls in which case you can probably get a higher range. Currently my satellites sit about 25 & 40 feet form the router and I have no issues. The 40 ft on the same floor and the 25 ft on another floor through radiant heat flooring.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7