Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi as a Wired Access Point

tflores
Follower

Orbi as a Wired Access Point

OK i've read the options but it is not clear if Orbi can be installed as a Wired Access Point. In other words, in an existing network, off another router. Not looking for the router funtionality, since I already have a great router, but as an WiFi expansion by being plugged into the wired LAN port on the network. Reason for the need it is because of the distance of the current house.

Also will it work along side the current Wifi?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Rjblue
Aspirant

Re: Orbi as a Wired Access Point

It should work connecting an Ethernet cord from your existing router to the LAN port of Orbi will allow you to have ORBI function as an access point. But you may check this link for further guide: https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
Streak2
Master

In short yes!

In my instance I have an AT&T gateway which provides all the routing functionality for their services and wifi etc.

I plugged the Orbi router into it and positioned it downstairs with the satellite unit upstairs.

I have now got such good whole house coverage (including guest network) that I am going to switch off the wifi on the AT&T gateway.

Depending on how your various routers are located you could choose to leave all the wifi's running.

Message 2 of 4
RonV42
Luminary

Yes the settings are really easy in the Orbi to make it a AP only. If you like the controls the current router gives you but the wifi leaves many gaps or causes issues the Orbi works great. I have swapped between using my Uverse RG as the router and the Orbi as AP for the last week back to using the Orbi as the Router and AP.  It all depends on what you are looking for in the types of access control etc.

Message 3 of 4
Rjblue
Aspirant

It should work connecting an Ethernet cord from your existing router to the LAN port of Orbi will allow you to have ORBI function as an access point. But you may check this link for further guide: https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7