Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi auto updated multiple times?

mith_it
Luminary

Orbi auto updated multiple times?

My router and satellites automatically updated to the 44 version of the firmware a few days ago. Today I noticed an alert in the IOS Orbi app. Apparently my router and satellites have updated themselves again. To the same firmware version.

I had checked a couple of days ago that both the router and satellites were all on the same version. I had also checked in the Web admin interface that there were no further updates.

Everything seems to work, but I'm wondering if this happened to others.

PS I have a screenshot on my phone, but this silly forum software won't let me upload it because it's a "jpeg" and not "jog"
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 12
mith_it
Luminary

Re: Orbi auto updated multiple times?

The second update happened about a day and a half after the first update (on March 23rd)
Message 2 of 12
tgltgl
Star

This happened to me as well. I got 2 notifications over last 2-3 days (so I think something got updated twice although I have no idea why because after the first update both router and satellite were on the same latest firmware already).

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version had been loaded on the system? 

There is v32 which also needs v212 loaded on the RBR first, then resently v44 has appeared in the auto update services so this may have caused a few updates to be seen. 

@mith_it wrote:
My router and satellites automatically updated to the 44 version of the firmware a few days ago. Today I noticed an alert in the IOS Orbi app. Apparently my router and satellites have updated themselves again. To the same firmware version.

I had checked a couple of days ago that both the router and satellites were all on the same version. I had also checked in the Web admin interface that there were no further updates.

Everything seems to work, but I'm wondering if this happened to others.

PS I have a screenshot on my phone, but this silly forum software won't let me upload it because it's a "jpeg" and not "jog"

Message 4 of 12
tgltgl
Star

I first manually updated from 210 (which router came with when I purchased it) to 212 on both router and satellite (satellite first). After that I manually updated to v32 on both (no problems with that). Few days after that both router and satellite auto updated to v44. However, since then v44 seems to have gotten autoupdated (over itself) 2 more times (not sure if only on router, satellite, or both) - at least that's what I saw from the notfifications I was getting. By the way, I have not had any issues with performance of any of those firmwares, with the exception that for a while I could not activate Armor (on v32), but that somehow got fixed after I updated my Android Orbi app.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting. Well keep an eye on it, if it seems to be not working correctly, you might do a faull factory resett and setup from scratch. 

Please do a backup fo the configuration to file for safe keeping after you get things setup well. 

@tgltgl wrote:

I first manually updated from 210 (which router came with when I purchased it) to 212 on both router and satellite (satellite first). After that I manually updated to v32 on both (no problems with that). Few days after that both router and satellite auto updated to v44. However, since then v44 seems to have gotten autoupdated (over itself) 2 more times (not sure if only on router, satellite, or both) - at least that's what I saw from the notfifications I was getting. By the way, I have not had any issues with performance of any of those firmwares, with the exception that for a while I could not activate Armor (on v32), but that somehow got fixed after I updated my Android Orbi app.

Message 6 of 12
mith_it
Luminary

I did a full factory reset just before upgrading, so re-resetting would be a major pain.

It worked OK so far and no more updates in the last day 😉

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, well a reset should be done after the update. 

Hope it keeps working though. Let us know. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 12
mith_it
Luminary

So last night my Orbi updated to .44 again!

Everything still seems to be working fine. I have a feeling it has to do with nvram settings. After I posted 2 days ago I went back with telnet and checked the various "auto_*" settings. After I configured everything to stop auto updates, it did it again. I'm wondering if Netgear now looks for those flags and if any is at 0 it actually forces the updates.

I had set everything to 0, but I noticed that orbi_auto_upgrade was actually a different number, so I set it to 0. Today it's still set to 0, but I noticed these 4 other flags that are set to a different number:

upgrade_orbi_image=96525632304

upgrade_base_image=96525632304

upgrade_check=96525632304

upgrade_satellite_image=96525632304

Anyone else is running into this? Is Netgear preventing us from not autoupgrading?

Message 9 of 12
mith_it
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Am I reading this right that you suggest that every time there is a firmware update we would have to factory reset the devices? That seems ludicrous. What is this, Windows 3.1?

Message 10 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I know it seems crazy, however I and others have seen odd issues and problems come from the autoupdate process. Doing the factory reset seems to clear up most of these issues. 

Yours seems like an odd ball issue that it keeps updating v44. Seems like something isn't getting completely applied or the update isn't notifying the services about your system being updated and not set correctly. 

Some of use also like knowing that after a FW update has been applied, a reset and clean setup from scratch should rule out most problems. Doing this first after an update, we know from this point onwards that if a problem happens, we can troubleshoot that area with out having to try a reset. However it's up to users to choose to do this or not. Some cases users have receieved updates fine thru auto update and have had no problems. This is good too. Just for those who do have issues and present problems, a reset is really needed to confirm if the problem is resolved or not. Something official NG support would have you do anyways if you contacted them. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 12

@mith_it wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Am I reading this right that you suggest that every time there is a firmware update we would have to factory reset the devices? That seems ludicrous. What is this, Windows 3.1?

No. Do not reset after every firmware update. Most go through seamlessly and with no need.

But if you experience post-flash issues, then the reset is worth trying. Either that, or live with the issues.

Unfortunately, it seems to be an industry wide issue for all router makers, regardless of the brand. This may be because they all rely in a couple of chipset makers.

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7