Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi automatic restart on new firmware! 1.9.1.12

chuahyenhua
Apprentice

Orbi automatic restart on new firmware! 1.9.1.12

This morning, the ORB updated its firmware automatically and restarted again. 

I thought the system would usually prompt the user for update instead of auto update.

Is there a feature not to auto update the firmware but allow user to confirm before updating?

regards

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 8
fbraz50
Apprentice

Not at the moment and there is now way to turn off the auto update. I hope you have good luck with that version as some of us have had several issues.

I was able to downgrade and block the update because I run my Orbi through and Asus Router that allowed me to block the download from happening.

Message 2 of 8
chuahyenhua
Apprentice

What issues had u encountered for the new version? Somehow this really makes me somewhat regret getting this router
Message 3 of 8
fbraz50
Apprentice

My issue is outlined in that post but long story short the new firmware caused me packet loss. I would never lose connection but I would get spurts where no traffic was being passed to the Internet is in essence what I saw on this new version. Not totally sure that's the same issue but it might be related.

This router combo is awesome and incredibly fast, when it works. I was all good up until this last firmware release which you can't block. What I did was block it at my router. I was able to do this because I use the Orbi's as just access points.

Message 4 of 8
chuahyenhua
Apprentice

well, i hope they can come out with a feature to allow user to upgrade or not.

Suddenly this morning, all my apps could not work and i was wondering why.

then i saw all my CCTV network camera went down and up and concluded its the router since it is also a DHCP server.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 5 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Chuahyenhua

Did you ever get your devices working again?

DarrenM

Message 6 of 8
chuahyenhua
Apprentice

Hi

Yup. the devices are working but the main point is that the Orbi should not automatically download the latest firmware without user intervention. The user should have the perogative to decide when to update.

regards

chris

Message 7 of 8
MarkC1024
Luminary

This appears to be corrected with the most recent update.  Mine did not update until I logged into the router and told them to.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7