Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi b locks access to wireless heating controls

oxoclear
Tutor

Orbi b locks access to wireless heating controls

I have recently set up a mesh system replacing a TP link solution. Unfortunately the Obi system blocks access to my siemens RDS110  heating controls. The device logs on to the network, no problem, but the app on my phone says it is off line. Any clues would be helpful 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 15
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi b locks access to wireless heating controls

what modem/gateway is the router connected to? 

Is the Siemens showing up in the attached devices list?

What firmware is on the orbi and satellites?

Message 2 of 15
oxoclear
Tutor

Hi The Orbi Is Connected to A Draytek Router. I Can See The Siemens Device In the DHCP table on The Draytek.

Message 3 of 15
oxoclear
Tutor

Should uld Have Added Firmwarevv2.7.3.22

Message 4 of 15
plemans
Guru

Is the orbi being ran in access point mode? 

Or do you have the orbi's IP address entered into the Draytek's dmz?

Message 5 of 15
oxoclear
Tutor

Hi It Is Running In Ap Mode. I Have No Idea Every Word Is Starting With A Capital !

Message 6 of 15
plemans
Guru

In access point mode, the dreytek is controlling everything. And if its showing up in the dhcp table its connecting back to the primary router. so I'd be looking at your dreytek for whats blocking the setup. 

https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 7 of 15
oxoclear
Tutor

Hi It's Not The Draytek As I Have Been running A TP Link System In Exactly The Same Way Before I Replaced It With The Orbi. In Fact I Am Running Them In Parallel Through The Draytek At the Moment As That Is The Only Way I Can Use The Controller Remotely At The Moment

Message 8 of 15
plemans
Guru

running them in parallel? 

meaning both orbi and draytek in router mode

Or orbi and tplink? 

If you're using the draktek in router mode, why not simply connect the heater to it? 

Message 9 of 15
oxoclear
Tutor

Hi The Dratek  Runs  The Connections For The Office Vpn. I Currently Have Two Wireless Networks Running Off It. TP Link And Orbi. If I Connect The Siemens To The TP  Link Everything Works If I Connect To The Orbi It Does Not 

Message 10 of 15
plemans
Guru

Is the tplink in access point mode as well? 

Or just the orbi? 

If you put the orbi in router mode and put its ip address into the draktek's DMZ, does it work then? 

Message 11 of 15
Mikey94025
Hero

@oxoclear wrote:

Hi The Dratek  Runs  The Connections For The Office Vpn. I Currently Have Two Wireless Networks Running Off It. TP Link And Orbi. If I Connect The Siemens To The TP  Link Everything Works If I Connect To The Orbi It Does Not 

According to the RDS110 user guide, the app displays Offline if:

The thermostat is not connected to the cloud server. Several reasons may result in disconnection:

The thermostat is powered off.

The thermostat is not connected to the Internet.

So your phone app isn't trying to talk directly to the RDS110 but instead they're communicating through the shared cloud server.  If your  RDS110 and phone both have access to the Internet then it should not be Offline.

1. Does your phone have internet access when connected to the Orbi wireless?
  2. Does your RDS110 display indicate that it is connected to the internet?
  3. You mention your Dratek runs the office VPN.  Did you have to do anything special with the TPLink to get the RDS110 connected to the internet over this VPN?  If yes, do you need to do the same with the Orbi?
  4. There is a special Administrated WLAN option that "discover the networks nearby".  Are using this option instead of Private WLAN?  If so, maybe you need to run this option again on the RDS110 to discover the new Orbi network and allow access.
  5. Is your RDS110 connected wirelessly to your network?  If yes, did you change it to connect to the new Orbi SSID?
Message 12 of 15
oxoclear
Tutor

Hi , if I put the Orbi in router mode I am unable to access the shared office drives on the network ?

Message 13 of 15
plemans
Guru

Does it work directly connected to the draytek?

Message 14 of 15
oxoclear
Tutor

Hi Yes 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements